Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:08 PM

Large dog small stool

Hi everyone,

I have a large breed collie/shepherd cross. In the past few days her stool has gone from normal to very little. Whereas she would normally do the amount and type of stool that is average for an human adult, her stool is now what I would think is normal for a small breed dog. Maybe one of two very small pieces. Light brown / golden almost in colour and not watery, but it is on the soft side.

I am extremely concerned and don't know what this is caused by. I've given her plain rice two days in a row and no change.

The only change I can think of is about two weeks ago my husband brought home the wrong dog food - i feed her adult breed Innova, he brought home the weight reduced formula (both bags are green).

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions.

please and thank you
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:58 AM

Different foods would easily be responsible for a change in size, colour and consistency of the poop. As well, could she be eating less? Where are you in terms of finishing off the wrong food and going back to regular?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:16 AM
-

Welcome to the forum fly girl.

Since Natura Pet (Innova) has recently been taken over by Proctor & Gamble I would perhaps suspect that they may have changed (cheapened) their ingredients as they did this when they took over the Iams/Eukanuba brands.

I would start adding some meat protein to the rice you are currently feeding and then slowly switch her to another brand. My personal favourite is Orijen or Acana Provincial (www.championpetfoods.com) or you can check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com for some other top rated brands.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Since Natura Pet (Innova) has recently been taken over by Proctor & Gamble I would perhaps suspect that they may have changed (cheapened) their ingredients as they did this when they took over the Iams/Eukanuba brands.
Ugh. Hate to hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I would start adding some meat protein to the rice you are currently feeding and then slowly switch her to another brand. My personal favourite is Orijen or Acana.
You know, Acana did the same thing a couple years ago, drastic sudden no-warning change from one bag to the next and it caused a lot of problems as dogs suited to the old formula weren't all well-suited to the new.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:37 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Ugh. Hate to hear that.

You know, Acana did the same thing a couple years ago, drastic sudden no-warning change from one bag to the next and it caused a lot of problems as dogs suited to the old formula weren't all well-suited to the new.

I've never heard of this ....can you please provide us with some details about this drastic change?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:01 AM

Certainly Rainbow, but not on this thread.