Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old June 21st, 2010, 10:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

"The Garden That ate New York"...rated G (for garden, of course)

See, 14+? Totally outta control! A little like hazel's hair.
Attached Images

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:46 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

That was fast!!
Hardly out of control my dear! All of those plants are supposed to look like that!!! Silly gal!
Your Day Lilies are blooming so nicely! Mine haven't started yet. They have lots of buds coming, just not opening yet.
Looking very nice!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Everything is invading everything else ...but at least it's all growing. I'll never have 'neat' gardens, I'm afraid.

That's the garden that I put all the seeds in--there is actually quite a bit of room in back since normally I leave it open to get to the tomatoes. But I've had to plant the tomatoes elsewhere due to fungus for a few years, so in the meanwhile, I'm planting my walking path. And I'm getting lots of sprouts from what you sent earlier! It's going to be really interesting come mid-July!

Our day lilies got a really good start this year--usually they don't bloom till much later, but we had one warm and sunny spell earlier this year and everything is ahead of schedule. Even the fireflies were about a month early this year

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:56 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

That is wonderful!! Love hearing the seeds are coming up!
I'm not much for neat gardening either. I love the look of wild fields of flowers growing. That is what my garden across the driveway is like mostly. The ones close to the house and at the front are a little more defined but still not oranized by any means.
I need about a month to do nothing but gardening. Then maybe the gardens should look good.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Say, 14+, if you're still here, can you tell me if this is whorled loosestrife...
Name:  Whorled loosestrife 6-6-10 B.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  37.6 KB

....and this is common St Johnswort?
Name:  Common St Johnswort 6-15-10 C.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  Common St Johnswort 6-18-10 A.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  57.2 KB

The first one is growing among the poison ivy plants in the ditch across the road, and the second is springing up in my well garden. They're both so pretty!

Old June 21st, 2010, 11:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oooo...you might like our front yard. Not many flowers in it right now, but definitely looks like a field

Name:  The front yard 6-6-10.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  105.4 KB

Name:  The front yard 6-16-10.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  106.2 KB

Old June 21st, 2010, 11:04 PM
150% PRO S/N

I'm not familiar with whorled loosestrife but googling it it sure seems like it may be. How pretty is that? Nature is a wonderful thing is it not? Gives us so many grand things to look at and study.
The other one is St John's Wort. It grows wild around here in the fields. Doesn't like to be transplanted much. I have been tempted to try to get some seeds and plant them somewhere in the garden.

Old June 21st, 2010, 11:07 PM
150% PRO S/N

Hehe, your front yard looks like Keesha's yard did until hubby hacked it down today. It grows so fast and she only uses a tiny area of it. I tend to forget it's there until the grass is a foot or so high.
Now I gotta go.............................

Old June 21st, 2010, 11:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Nite, 14+. Want some of the St Johnswort seeds if I can get them? It's coming up all by itself out there this year Lots of things magically appeared when I started cleaning out the grass and weeds that were in there!

Once the loosestrife starts blooming it's even prettier!

Name:  Whorled loosestrife 6-12-10 A.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  Whorled loosestrife 6-12-10 B.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  37.5 KB

Name:  Whorled loosestrife 6-12-10 C.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  47.0 KB

Old June 26th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow Hazel,those flowers are beautiful,I've never seen anything like it before
I too love wildflower gardens,but since I don't have the space,I have to try to keep things somewhat in check,it is a great year for plants thoughbut also for bugs
Old June 26th, 2010, 08:24 AM
150% PRO S/N

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;929997]Nite, 14+. Want some of the St Johnswort seeds if I can get them? It's coming up all by itself out there this year Lots of things magically appeared when I started cleaning out the grass and weeds that were in there!

Once the loosestrife starts blooming it's even prettier!

I've actually got some St John's growing in parts of my gardens so thanks but no thanks. It seems to have made it's way into them so I will just leave it. 'Course next year it may make it's way back out to.
Loosestrife is sort of a bad name around here. You have to be very careful which ones you have. The whorled is very pretty. I have a white bushy one in a flower bed just starting to bloom but it spread out a lot from last year. Purple loostrife is banned here. Would have to find out if the whorled is.

Old June 26th, 2010, 09:27 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

The imported purple loosestrife is banned here, too. The whorled loosestrife, however, is a native variety of yellow loosestrife. So is the fringed loosestrife that grows up by our mailbox. Neither is considered invasive. I think the whorled needs wet to mesic soils, though, and the fringed loosestrife is an obligate wetland plant. We have a very odd front yard--some sections are mesic to dry and others are wet enough to support wetland varieties of plants. It makes it difficult to figure out what to plant out there!