Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 17th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Bulldog Mom

Emergency help needed!

Hello,
I know there are 100+ threads about peeing in the house but I feel like my problem in very particular. I am getting so desperate and frustrated about this issue that my relationships with my BF and my dog are suffering.
Alright, here's the background story.
My BF and I got an Female English Bulldog in APRIL of last year. We crate trained, rubbed all mistakes with enzymatic clear, walks after naps, playing, drinking, ect and Matilda's pottying schedule was getting on track. I would not say her training was 100%, more like I was well trained to know when she would need to pee. I think for the first 5 months there were bi-monthly accidents, then it became monthly/bi-monthly. However, I would not say that she ever GOT the whole pottying OUTSIDE thing. She never goes to the door, or back or do ANYTHING that asks to go outside, I guess I just "know". On the other hand, when I do catch her doing something bad, she does do this looking down thing like she knows something went horribly wrong.
However, things have from not-so-bad to horrible and I don't know what to do anymore. Our routine is mostly that I take her out for a quick potty in the morning, a long walk (30 min, more if it's nice outside) after school and then a 15-25 min before bed (12 am)
For some reason, Matilda has started peeing and POOING(!!! SHE NEVER DID THAT BEFORE!!! EVER!!!) EVERYWHERE!! My bedroom, MY BED, my closet (VERY RANDOM) the living room, HER CRATE. What's worse is that she's NOT GOING OUTSIDE. Last night I took her out TWICE and she refused to go, just kept looking at me weird and walking behind me.
Today, my BF took her out and she refused to pee or **** so he took her back in right away to put in her crate and she POTTIED INSIDE THE CRATE. On the other hand, I have a sneaking suspicion that BF doesn't take her out when he says he does. I'm not sure, of course he tells me he does, but I can't help a nagging suspicion... The peeing in the crate is what threw me off. I feel like Matilda would only do that out of crazy desperation.
It's also very frustrating to me that I never catch her in the act. I'm very ashamed to admit this but when I do find pee I start going on rants, not really involving Matilda per se, but yelling really loudly and asking for Gd to kill me. (Can you tell I do the cleaning around here? It's a miracle if he puts the soiled blankets in the laundry basket. Tell me, does it sound normal to any of you that someone would REMOVE a soiled blanket from insane the crate to put it on TOP of the blanket covering the crate????) It's like she goes to hide to pee, which explains the closet pee. I'm very perturbed by this and I don't know what to do anymore.
I am extremely frustrated.
Do any of you know what I should be doing? Should I be re-training her completely? Should I abandon all hope and live in a urine infested apartement? Should I buy loads of diapers? Do breeder give refunds? (THATS A JOKE! ID NEVER GIVE MY BABY AWAY! I LOVE HER PISS AND ALL.)
I want to cry :sad:
If you DONT have the answer, please refer me to an animal behaviorist in Montreal. I need professional help.
Thanks a lot, I know just reading this post must of been an effort. I hope you all know I'm not a bad mom. I'm just really confused and at my wit's end...
Sorry for the long post. Here's to hoping my misery was entertaining at least....
LOLA + MATILDA
Old February 17th, 2009, 09:16 AM
<3 XOXOXO <3

I am also an English bull dog owner. Lexi was also born in April and we have gone threw very similar things. English Bulldogs are known for their stubborness. I have just learned to be very pateint and consistent.

You need to Rule out a urine infection so check with your vet.

Lexi is very quiet about letting me know when she has to go out. She will just go and stand by the door so if I am not paying attention next thing I know she will be taking a pee right beside me. Just start training Like you would as a if she were a new puppy. As soon as she wakes up after she eats after playtime.

Training was going well with Lexi and then all of a sudden she started going backwards and not wanting to go out side. It seemed liked she was scared of something. It took us a while going out with her makeing her feel comfortable again. We discovered she was scared of the crows With us being patient and going out with her took time but she has now gotten over her fear.

Is she spayed? I know that when some dogs go into heat they urinate more often.

Also if you are not catching her in the act and then get angry at her when you find the mess she is not understanding what you are upset about. She will start to hide when it is time to "go". If you have to keep a leash on her and keep her close so u can watch her. Start to "catch her" then telling her in a firm voice "No" and then emedialtly taking her outside and then if she "goes" Prasie her like crazy.

I am not an expert,but I just wanted to give you some advice on what works for us. I hope that things go better for you and Matilda I know how frustrating it can be sometimes but with pateints and consistency things will get much better

I wouls LOve to see pictures of her and know where u got her from. Maybe Lexi and Matilda are sisters

Seth 13
Hunter 7
Emma 3

Reese 10 Years Chocolate Lab
Lexi 1 year English Bull Dog

Hammy (hamster)

Old February 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsloopy View Post
Also if you are not catching her in the act and then get angry at her when you find the mess she is not understanding what you are upset about. She will start to hide when it is time to "go".
I have to wonder if this isn't exactly what's happening. Even if you aren't yelling at the dog directly, she still knows that you are upset and thinks that you are upset about seeing the mess. She isn't thinking in terms of you being upset about WHERE the mess is (in the house) but that you've seen the mess. She'll think that she needs to make sure you never see her go potty at all. And if your boyfriend is also yelling at her then it's just reinforcing that behavior.

Assuming that this isn't a medical problem (urinary tract infection), then I would say start over with the potty training - and that means being consistent in when she goes outside and sticking to a routine. The dog should never be corrected unless you catch her in the act, and then a sharp no is sufficient while immediately taking the dog outside. Praise like crazy when she does her thing outside. Now that she has taken to pottying in her crate, it will be that much harder to break.
Old February 17th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Once you start the retraining, stay outside until she goes.....it could be a while, but she doesn't come back inside until she does. Be prepared to get up early and walk around for quite a while.

Cindy
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I'm a softy

First thing I agree, get the vet to rule out this being related to anything medical.

She has gotten away with peeing inside too often, she is not associating it with outside. Any time they pee inside without being caught it is reinforced. Try umbilical, where you have her tied to your waist. Do not allow her to be free unsupervised ever. Take her outside, tell her to go peepee or whatever command you choose. Do not talk to her or play with her. When she does, have a party and give her a treat and tell her good peepee!! Then take her straight inside, pee's outside = fun so play and let her do things she is not usually allowed to do. If you are sure she is empty after she has been outside, allow her freedom from being tied to you for a short time, but still supervise.

Also think about getting poochie bells or something that while you are training her she associates with going outside and can learn to let you know that she wants out.

Persistance pays off, it can be hard and take awhile once going in the house has been reinforced. Try a lot of positive reinforcement because it is possible that she asscociates going pee with something negitive and it can take a long time to get over, just keep at it and eventually she will get it!
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Just have to add one more thing. Unless your BF gets on board with you 110% you are doomed for failure. He NEEDS to do his part too!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Compromised account

Lolabee, (((HUGS))) You sound so frustrated!!

Ok, so...as previously suggested, I would also recommend that you rule out any medical possibility for this behaviour.

Once that is done, I would suggest to go back to basics, but as 14+ said, it has to be BOTH of you. Start from scratch, and do not get mad at her for peeing. There is definitely something wrong, maybe she IS afraid of something outside? So start watching her when you go out, because if she just goes behind you - she is definitely not happy to be out and is nervous.

Like with us, Sparky has this fear of one specific driveway, since in the summer the neighbour decided to wash it with pressure washer, and he got startled. Until now, when we walk, Sparky will stop and stare. And if the guy is outside, he growls at him. They remember these things..!
He is also afraid of large unidentified objects, such as garbage bins and boxes..So he would rather cross the street than walk past one..LOL...we are constantly working on it.

So good luck and I hope you can work it out.
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I'm a softy

also just curious, how big is the kennel? it really only needs to be a bit bigger than the dog, enough room to turn and lie down, so it should be VERY uncomfortable to get situated to actually pee, if it is too big then she may have enough room to pee comfortably and then move away from it a bit.. just a thought..
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Bulldog Mom

Hi all,
Thanks for all the nice responses! Makes me feel better!
I spoke to an animal behaviorist and she pretty much told me the same thing as you all did. I have to admit that I do get upset which must be making peeing a negative association. Also, the breeder gave me some interesting insight that I thought I could share with you all and you guys could give me your two cents.
Well, this lady believes, because I can actually trace back the first incident of this constant urination fiasco, that Matilda is having issues with the outdoors because of lack of snow. Firstly, Matilda has an issue with the cold in general and I had noticed that she hates doing her business on anything but the grass. It took a while to get her to potty on the snow and she thinks that because we haven't any snow in a while the issue is that she doesn't like doing it on the ice that we have everywhere in downtown Montreal. So because her training has never been very consistent, she remembers going inside as well, she goes inside. She also thinks the problem was exacerbated by the fact that I started getting angry and showing my anger.
Sounds a bit weak but could effectively be used to explain my situation. Thankfully she didn't charge me since it was just a phone consultation and she basically just told me that I should have constant supervision, do the umbilical cord thing.
Anyway, thanks for all the great advice. I really appreciate it. Woohoo! One day no accidents!!! Hoping there wont be anymore.
LOLA + MATILDA

ps. Momsloopy, I got Matilda from a breeder in Asbestos. I have pics on another computer.

Here are some pics cause I love to share!!!

Hallowe'en

Sharing her good friend Roscoe's bed

Only pics I had on on Flickr. She's HUGE now
Old February 18th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

She's adorable. Good luck with the training. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Cindy
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:49 AM
&lt;3 XOXOXO &lt;3

Matilda is beautiful!!!

I am glad you found the advice you were looking for, now the hard part is sticking too it. It may take a while and your BF must be 100% on board. But I know you can do it.

Seth 13
Hunter 7
Emma 3

Reese 10 Years Chocolate Lab
Lexi 1 year English Bull Dog

Hammy (hamster)

Old February 18th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I could see a dog not wanting to do their thing on ice - especially if they've slipped trying to squat or lift a leg. And with a short haired dog that gets cold easier, plus having the belly and other 'parts' in the snow, I would imagine that she gets cold very quickly. I don't know about you, but if I'm cold everything tenses up. Kind of hard to potty if your muscles won't relax.

Good Luck!

ETA: Oh, and she is a cutie! Love the angel suit!
Old February 21st, 2009, 05:50 PM
Bulldog Mom

Hey All!!
Just a little update on Matty and me!! Treating her like a baby is really working, were accident free yay!!! Also, I think that the crazy snow weve had is helping her with the pottying, its like she knows to potty outside again!! yay!!!
thanks for the help!!!!
xoxoxox
Old February 21st, 2009, 08:13 PM
I'm a softy

that is so great AWESOME!!! I had a feeling it could be negitive association, I had a puppy once, that I got in winter, was so used to peeing on the snow then when it was melting we would have to walk for blocks to find a tiny piece of snow for her to go on... sometimes that is exactly what it takes, for us to look into the reason for the behavior, our dogs love us, and do not want to be bad dogs... your dog is beautiful!! good luck!
Old February 21st, 2009, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't have any advise but what you have been given, just wanted to give you some and say that you are doing a great job! she is sooo pretty