Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 5th, 2012, 07:16 AM

Best off-leash areas in Montreal?

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are moving to Montreal from the UK with our dog Bramley. I'm trying to work out the best area to live - we need to be fairly near downtown (half an hour or less ideally) but I'm concerned about making sure there are good places to walk our dog. I understand you have leash laws, and that dog parks often won't allow unneutered dogs. Bramley is highly energetic, and on a typical walk runs about 10 times as far as the person walking him! We don't have leash laws in the UK and I can't imagine how he'd cope with them. I have no intention of keeping him on a lead all the time (no comments please from people who disagree with me!) - I've seen from the forum that there are plenty of people in Montreal who let their dogs off lead, and I was wondering if you could give me some pointers on the nicest places to do this, either legally (preferably) or not Dog parks are fine if they will take unneutered dogs (he has no associated dominance/agression/excessive mounting behavioural problems).

Thanks!
Old April 5th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

There are a number of really good off leash dog parks scattered all around Montreal and there dogs are off leash in an enclosed space. Here is a link to a few of them http://www.pets.ca/dogs/dog-parks/quebec/montreal/ , There are more though that need to be added.

Once you know the area you want to live in we can be even more precise.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the reply - I had seen that list of dog parks and it's helpful; I'd really love to know, though, if there's anywhere more interesting to walk dogs. Bramley is used to running through gorse bushes and woodland, chasing rabbits, and swimming in rivers and lakes. Dog parks which are just a big open space, grass or no grass, are just not the same. They may have to do during the week, but at least sometimes I want to take him somewhere better. I'd love to just walk him on the Mountain but I understand dogs have to be on-leash there. Summit circle is good too, but not off-leash all year round. We're likely to live in Westmount, but if there's somewhere with easier access to a great dog-walking place like I described then it might sway our decision about where we live. I look forward to hearing from anyone who has ideas!
Old May 7th, 2012, 06:44 AM

I'm sorry but I've been here one year and still can't find any. Quebec is not a dog-friendly province in general. I have never seen an off-leash area permitted even in the countryside, let alone Westmount.
Old May 7th, 2012, 09:30 AM

Many people just use unofficial areas, in the Spring you have to watch for the city inspectors as they will ticket you. I live near the St-Laurant river near Nuns Island in Verdun area. There is a private dog park here and an unofficial walkway near the river that many people go down by with their dogs off leash. There is a hill up from the river which has the official park areas, for bike paths, baseball diamonds etc. So this lower area is largely ignored, except by residents. It grows in beautifully with reeds and cattails. Verdun has cheap rent and cheaper homes to buy then Westmount, there is a bit of a reputation for being a low-income area.
Westmount also has their own rent-a-cop security service so you would have them, the normal cops or the city to watch for.
Old October 7th, 2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramley View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are moving to Montreal from the UK with our dog Bramley. I'm trying to work out the best area to live - we need to be fairly near downtown (half an hour or less ideally) but I'm concerned about making sure there are good places to walk our dog. I understand you have leash laws, and that dog parks often won't allow unneutered dogs. Bramley is highly energetic, and on a typical walk runs about 10 times as far as the person walking him! We don't have leash laws in the UK and I can't imagine how he'd cope with them. I have no intention of keeping him on a lead all the time (no comments please from people who disagree with me!) - I've seen from the forum that there are plenty of people in Montreal who let their dogs off lead, and I was wondering if you could give me some pointers on the nicest places to do this, either legally (preferably) or not Dog parks are fine if they will take unneutered dogs (he has no associated dominance/agression/excessive mounting behavioural problems).

Thanks!
Hi there,
Welcome to Montreal
I am a dog runner, I run my pack of 7 daily on Mount Royal through the woods for 1.5 hrs.
I currently have 3 from the NDG, Montreal West area whom I transport by car over to the Plateau where I pick up the rest on foot. We're a wonderful well balanced team made up of dogs of all shapes and sizes !
I'm very selective about the clients I include as they must have a solid understanding of dogs' need for exercise and stimulation and not just be looking for someone to "let Fido out around the block"
I work with a wonderful dog trainer by the name of David Dussault every Friday when he joins the pack running.
{ Edited by mod}

Last edited by hazelrunpack; October 7th, 2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: No self-promotion or personal info, pls
Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:52 AM

2 of the best off-leash in the West Island:

Angell Woods in Beaconsfield, right near highway 20/Woodland and Elm. There is a huge open field and woods with tons of trails to walk through:

http://goo.gl/maps/CwIbl

In the summer you can also go near Baie d'Urfe yaught club, big open grassy area and dogs can go swimming:

http://goo.gl/maps/mCdCr

Tags
dog parks, montreal, off-leash