Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old October 14th, 2004, 08:27 PM
banned user

Exclamation Bryant to make BSL announcement tomorrow!

According to Spurby on DogsToronto board. Say are you the same Spurby on this board?
Old October 14th, 2004, 08:34 PM

Yes, that is me, i am thinking you are AM there?? Here is the info according to CFTO news(and CTV)

Ontario's Attorney General Michael Bryant is expected to announce Friday a plan to ban pit bulls in the province, CFTO News has learned.

The ban is expected to prevent anyone who doesn't already own a pit bull from bringing one into Ontario, according to the CFTO report.

Current pit bull owners won't have to hand over their dogs, but they will face restrictions, possibly including:

Using leashes and muzzles on pit bulls in public places
A complete ban of pit bulls from public parks
Stiff fines and even jail time if the pit bull attacks or harms someone
Bryant once described pit bulls as "an assault weapon on four legs." He has been holding consultations with victims of pit bull attacks, as well as pit bull owners, and police, following a series of attacks in Ontario.

Municipalities already have the option of banning pit bulls under the Ontario Municipal Act. Kitchener has done just that. The city's bylaw says anyone who has acquired a pit bull since April 7, 1997 and has not removed it from the city faces a fine of up to $5,000.

Saskatchewan is the only province to pass "dangerous-dog" legislation with penalties that include fines of up to $10,000 or six months in jail or both.

Pit bulls are not a specific breed, but include Staffordshire terriers, sometimes called "Staffs," American pit bull terriers, and mixes.

Some say the dogs have long been bred as attack dogs and their aggression is in their genes
Old October 14th, 2004, 08:52 PM
banned user

Yup, that's me - A.M.

So he's going to do all that. Why wait until tomorrow if it's all up & decided now? I usually listen to CFTO news, but i missed the 6 p.m news tonight.

Guess i better check out that Insurance LOL!!
Old October 14th, 2004, 09:00 PM

It will be on the 11 pm news. As far as insurance, so far, i have been DENIED by every one of them How the heck can i get it, if they won't give it to me??? I have told my city councillors this, no response, they don't care Very Very frustrating!!!!
Old October 14th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Rottns Rule!

The Citadel and ING Insurance do not discriminate based on breed, only on deeds.

Just a head's up.

Robbie -human boy, aged 7 years.
Logan -human boy, aged 4 years.
Java -Rottweiler girl, aged 6 years.
Titus (Ty) -Rottweiler boy, aged 2 years.
Old October 14th, 2004, 11:46 PM
banned user

I'm referring to insurance for anti BSL rally.

Depending on what Bryant decides, things could get out of hand. And if you ask for a permit, you take responsibility for anything that happens at a demonstration.
Old October 15th, 2004, 12:18 AM
banned user

Exclamation 'Found this -1st indication the Bryant mislead people

about the 'overwhelming majority' of his correspondence 'supporting a breed ban' . See ** paragraph below. According to Keith Leslie, it was 'Not an over whelming' majority.
________
Ont. attorney general says pit bull problem more urgent than first imagined
KEITH LESLIE

TORONTO (CP) - The problem of pit bull attacks in Ontario is more widespread and "more urgent than we imagined in the first place," Attorney General Michael Bryant said Thursday as he vowed action to protect the public from the dogs.

Bryant met with victims of pit bull attacks, police, dog owners and trainers in a hastily arranged gathering to help him prepare legislation to deal with the dogs he once said "amounted to an assault weapon on four legs."

"It's a classic question of nature versus nurture," Bryant said after the hour-long consultation at a legislature committee room. "Is it the dog owner or is it the pit bull?"

He said publicity surrounding an attack in Toronto last month, when police shot and killed two pit bulls after the dogs seriously injured a 25-year-old man, prompted "many, many, many" others to come forward.

"We're learning about the many unreported pit bull incidents," Bryant said. "The government is very concerned about this (and) is going to take action."

**A recent spate of attacks by the powerful, squat dogs has sparked widespread debate across Ontario. Bryant said his office has received more than 4,000 e-mails on the subject in recent weeks, with the majority - but not an overwhelming one - in favour of banning pit bulls.

"There's no doubt that there's got to be some level of restriction in terms of activity (and) mobility," he said. "The question is to ban or not to ban, and we're just not quite ready to make that judgment at this time."

Bryant invited officials from Kitchener, Ont., and Winnipeg to the meeting because both cities reported a dramatic reduction in attacks after they banned pit bulls, but he also asked experts and people who had written him on the issue to attend.

"We don't believe an outright ban on any breed is an appropriate method of initiating appropriate safety measures within a community," said Sonny Allinson of the National Companion Animal Coalition.

Allinson believes better education for dog owners would be more appropriate, a sentiment echoed by Cathie Cino of the Cat and Jack Safety Program, which teaches children how to avoid being attacked by animals.

"Removing one breed from our society is not going to stop the handlers who are commonly in charge of these animals from going to another breed," Cino said. "And there are many more dangerous breeds out there that they can take a hold of and destroy the same as they have with the pit bull terrier."

One man who witnessed a pit bull attack said in an e-mail to Bryant that the animals should be banned.

"The people that own these dogs don't appear to be motivated to changing how they are," wrote George Gooderham. "They should not be allowed. These animals are dangerous."

Bryant agreed that more must be done to ensure that dog owners are responsible for the actions of their pets, but added: "This is about the dog, it isn't about the dog owners."

He acknowledged that identifying which dogs should be classified as pit bulls can be a problem, but said he liked Kitchener's approach of putting the onus on the owner to prove their dog is not a pit bull.

"We heard arguments from people who believe in alternatives and are against a ban, and we heard from people who very much believe it's time for a pit bull ban in Ontario," Bryant said.

"I'm increasingly concerned about pit bulls, but the issue of whether or not we are going to ban pit bulls is undetermined."
________.
Old October 15th, 2004, 12:48 AM
Love all creatures

So is this it you guys? Is it over? Are pitties slowly going to dissapear in Ontario?

sad

Laws need to be passed by legislature..meaning its all in the hands of the MPPS..keep contacting them folks..its our last resort!!! WE NEED TO ORGANIZE THIS DEMONSTRATION...FAST!
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor

This truly scares me. Can't we sue the goverment for the right to own these dogs based on stupid unfounded legislation? I know it sounds crazy but doesn't the truth matter in this case? I have lost alot of respect for our government. If they are this dumb then Im voting for the green party next election.
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Apparently in Canada Pedophiles are alowed to run free and molest our children but we can't own a certain dog? ARE YOU F$#^ing kidding me. Oh god my blood is boiling right now. I will be at queens park with bells on.
Old October 15th, 2004, 09:02 AM

I just want to say good luck to everyone. If I were in Ontario, I would be right along side you all protesting my heart out! I will be sending you my energy during your fight and I hope you all win!! BSL is a waste of taxpayers money and time! The real fight is imposing tougher legislation on dog owners, of any breed!!! Good luck all of you and I LOVE PITBULLS!!!!!! :love: