Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 10th, 2007, 03:32 PM

Why does my cat like Canidae so much?

Weird situation here. We got our dog Maggie in August, and after searching for a good food for her chose Canidae. Our cat Bo was getting, due to my ignorance, Iams. I had already decided to switch him to Felidae at the same time, but we were in the middle of a bag of Iams ...

Anyhoos, when I brought the first bag of Canidae home and ripped it open, Bo was right in there. I gave him a few kibbles which he muched down. I thought it was cute.

So now he's been on Felidae for a few months, and has seemed to like it enough, but is always going for the Canidae. He can't get any from the dog (she inhales hers in about 30 seconds!), but he's been breaking into the bin we keep it in. I've been letting him occasionally- he'll eat a few kibbles at a time. I snap the lid down on the bin when I think of it so he can't get in all the time.

Anyone else see this?

We free-feed Bo and he always has some Felidae available, so it's not that he's hungry. I'm guessing it won't kill him, as long as he doesn't get so much that he stops eating his Felidae. He has lost weight (that he didn't need to) since we switched him to Felidae, so maybe he doesn't like it that much for whatever reason? Maybe we should give him some wet Felidae? He does get an organic salmon treat or two every day, as well, but that's it.
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:43 PM

Actually I just got a few cans of Canidae to suppliment with my boys' Innova Evo kibble, and the first time I broke open the can and started mixing the food, my cat was right there, meowing for a taste! I didnt give any to her though (gave her some of her own can), wasnt sure how good that would be... But she apparently loved that Canidae smell!
Old April 13th, 2007, 08:20 AM

One of my cats does this as well. I just figured it was because he was a former feral cat who would eat just about anything. He's the only one who shows an interest in the dog food though, the other cats don't seem to bother. If you aren't feeding canned you may want to give it a try, your cat may be craving something he isn't getting in his dry food.
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the replies! Bo was feral as well. Maybe it is just scrounging behaviour, maybe he needs something extra. He's a little underweight right now, so I'll try giving him some canned.