Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures > Pet free photography

Old August 31st, 2008, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Ramadan Kareem

Its ramadan tomorrow, the month which muslims fast from dawn to dusk, & I brought a fanooos (lantern) with me from Egypt - my very first one- to get the atmosphere going. Tradionally in Egypt, these are handcrafteda by local tradesmen and bought by grandparents, parents and such and given to the little kids, who then sing songs (a bit like caroling) as well as hung outside the homes and in the streets (like christmas lights).

Since I never experienced ramadan in Egypt I never got to have a fanoos but always wanted one and sooooo here is mine. Its a relatively cheap one thats not intricate at all, tho I absoultely refused to get a cheap chinese made one which are now dominating the market.......my dad and I hung it up outside our house tonight and I thought I'd share, ...its nothing special but the kid in me loves it Its actually gold coloured and the customs guy tapped it to make sure it wasnt the real thing

Name:  Fanoos.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  20.8 KB
Old August 31st, 2008, 09:09 PM
-

It's like a disco ball but with a meaning

It's lovely onster , will you do the fasting ?
Old August 31st, 2008, 09:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Yep, always do ...well since I was 13 or so...

its a bit hard now though with sunset being soooo late...ack..

we wake up right before dawn though and have an early breakfast

hehehe I suppose it does look a bit like a disco ball, lol. I wish I couldve gotten a cooler one though..or a bigger one..hahaha im sooo greedy. This one the design is just punched into the sheet metal...there are ones that are hand carved or whatever and are sooo intricate with many different coloured glass and patterns...next year
Old August 31st, 2008, 09:23 PM
-

So is it a light or a candle inside ? ( I love those lanterns where you put candles in it )
Old August 31st, 2008, 09:24 PM
Flyball Mom

Happy Ramadan Onster!

Enjoy all the yummies. Forget eating healthy for a month!

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old August 31st, 2008, 09:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
So is it a light or a candle inside ? ( I love those lanterns where you put candles in it )
originally its supposed to be with a candle and this one I actually got with nothing in it cuz the wattage is different and then I went to home depot and got the lamp wire stuff and put a bulb. Could have easily put a candle too though

lol.....but but but byrdddd...hahaha..i cant resist. My mom is boiling the karkade (sweet hibiscus tea ) as we speak and defrosting the chicken and pulling out the sambosa/samosa sheets/ taking votes on whether it will be bamia or bissila (peas) for the vegetable dish

kinda defeats the purpose ..were supposed to feel for the poor and needy among other things...but ramadan is also the time where everyone and their uncle is welcome to have 'breakfast' with us, so that food reaally has to stretch out, lol. Also boy do I feel for those strapped to find food by the end of the day....well more so the water...that's what gets to me to be honest.
Old August 31st, 2008, 09:34 PM
Flyball Mom

mmm karkade! I still have some hibiscus from one of my trips, I need to make some.

If you make f'teer guarentee I'll be there.

I can't find a pic, or remember the name, but there is a type of lamp that I like, I saw one while there but didn't have the space to bring it back. It is tall and thin, but twists, is made of iron and cloth. Do you know what I'm referring to?

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old August 31st, 2008, 09:35 PM
-

So your mom has to get up in the middle of the night to "cook" "breakfast" ?