Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:58 PM

Question Odd Behavior

I don't know if there is already a line of discussion for this, and if so I apologize. My 1ish year old neutered male cat has been acting strange recently with me 4 1/2 month old female Yorkie. Normally they play together, and it's really cute but as of late it seems as though he is trying to mount her. If he wasn't neutered, I could understand, but he's been fixed. He doesn't spray of anything, but he's been getting on top of her and biting her neck and it almost looks like he's trying to, well...hump her. Does anyone know why he would be doing this?
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:50 PM

Weird...I have never heard of anything like this before....best bet would be to take him to the vet!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirschSalvator View Post
Does anyone know why he would be doing this?
Could just be exuberant play. Cats frequently straddle each other and bite the neck while playing. Even if he's actually making thrusting motions, he's probably just acting out his joy and excitement. I really wouldn't worry about it unless he's hurting your dog or it becomes an obsessive behaviour.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:31 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
I don't know if there is already a line of discussion for this, and if so I apologize. My 1ish year old neutered male cat has been acting strange recently with me 4 1/2 month old female Yorkie. Normally they play together, and it's really cute but as of late it seems as though he is trying to mount her. If he wasn't neutered, I could understand, but he's been fixed. He doesn't spray of anything, but he's been getting on top of her and biting her neck and it almost looks like he's trying to, well...hump her. Does anyone know why he would be doing this?
I'm sorry, I have no advice for you, but I wanted to say thank you for the laugh!!

I had a male cat who used to do that to my ferret as well. They were the best of friends and it brought back those funny memories! I don't know if it's "normal", but in our case, it wasn't harmful. Good luck!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:11 PM
Catlover2

Some male cats will do this even tho neutered. As others have suggested, as long as he isn't harming the dog it is a normal thing. Has your Yorkie been spayed? How does the Yorkie react? Does she bite at him? growl? run away? run to you?

If it's really excessive and the Yorkie is really bothered, you might spray cat with water. If that doesn't work, remove him and give him a "time out" in another room for 5 mins. If cat goes right back after dog, rattle a can with pennies at him, and/or stomp your feet at him and tell him "No" sternly. You may have to keep your cat separated from Yorkie during times you can't supervise. Let us know how things work out.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:20 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Just showing his "affection". The pup will soon put him in his place if she doesn't like it.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:08 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

sounds like my Jasper . He loves his girls . Unless your Yorkie is really bothered by it (and I think she would tell him so), I wouldn't worry about it.

Snowball used to use my pj top and bite it and do that to my shirt .

So I think it is not totally unusual for a neutered cat to act that way.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:04 PM

She's not old enough to be spayed, and we're thinking of breeding her. It doesn't seem to bother her. She'll just keep chewing on her bone while he does it, if she gets too annoyed she'll move and if he continues she'll put him in his place. Thanks to everyone who answered, I'm glad that he's not the only one who does it lol
Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
She's not old enough to be spayed, and we're thinking of breeding her.
Oh really? Any particular reason you think she should have puppies?

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/...estimates.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler

Tags
cat, female, humping, male, yorkie