Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 29th, 2004, 12:24 PM

Hills Science Plan

Hey,
At Tally's last puppy party we were given free samples of Hills Science Pet Food (or something like that) and we decided to try her on that as she was getting a bit chubby. She wolfed the food down and we're thinking of switching her to that. The only problem is that it seems to have given her wind - is this food good? Will the wind stop?
Sarah XxX
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I would suggest you ask your vet about the dog food. They would know the best. I have never heard of it. Also do a search on the internet.
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Since your vet sells Science Diet in his office and makes money on the sales, I am willing to bet that he will give this food rave reviews.

Here is the list of ingredients from the large breed light food:

Corn meal, soybean mill run 16% (a source of fiber), chicken by-product meal (a source of natural chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine), peanut hulls, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, chicken liver flavor, vegetable oil, dried egg product, dried chicken cartilage (a source of natural chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine), flaxseed, L-lysine, taurine, L-tryptophan, L-carnitine, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid, minerals (dicalcium phosphate, salt, potassium chloride, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), rosemary extract, beta-carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement).

It gave your dog gas because your dog can not properly digest corn and soy. No dog can and yet they are the first two ingredients in the food. Chicken by products are the parts of chickens that they can't sell to anyone else.

Most vets have about a semester of dog nutrition classes. Your vet gets a big presentation from the pet food companies about how great their food is and then they sell it for a profit. In my opinion, not the best way to find out about how good a food really is.

My girls eat either a raw diet or Canidae. No soy, no corn. No gas.
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

*giggle @ LavR*

I have switched my girl to Wellness, Lamb and Rice. She loves it but farts upa storm!!! Is there really a way to get away from the gas?!?! Except for those diapers that I saw on here a long time ago, the ones with the filter LOL! That's funny!
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Try adding a little bit of plain yogurt to her food. Should help with the gas but may take a couple of days.
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Like LR said forget about that food too expensive for a bag of filler. I will let you in on a food that I have recently switched Buddy to. I was feeding him Diamond Large Breed it is only one of 2 Diamond foods (the natural one is also good) that I would use the others are not as good quality they have corn in them. The food is approx. $60-65 for a 50 pound bag. But I belong to a group of Mastiff owners and a lot of them are in the U.S. and food is substantially less expensive there, literally half the price on high quality stuff. Somebody had reccommended Kirkland Series from Costco very good food made by guess who Diamond almost exactly the same as the large breed and a 40 pound bag is 22.00. I saved enough money on 2 bags to pay for the membership and a cab home. Buddy is doing great on it and it comes in chicken and rice and lamb and rice the Lamb formula is a $1.00 or 2 more but still a great deal. I wa feeding Buddy prior to Diamond, Solid Gold at 55 for a 30 pound bag I would have to buy almost 3 a month. So now we spend more on toys and treats
Old September 29th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Yes, our vets do sell this food and they say it's the best thing. I alreday did a search and it looks good.
Has anybody else fed their dog this?
We really want to keep Tally on a brand of food, not a raw diet/etc as this will be too inconveniant for our lifestyle.
Does this brand sound really bad then? We don't want to try lots of different foods because it will upset her tummy.
Old October 1st, 2004, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiec
*giggle @ LavR*

I have switched my girl to Wellness, Lamb and Rice. She loves it but farts upa storm!!! Is there really a way to get away from the gas?!?! Except for those diapers that I saw on here a long time ago, the ones with the filter LOL! That's funny!
Too funny! One of our dogs was on Wellness Fish & Sweet Potatoe for a while. He could clear a room in an instant!
Old October 1st, 2004, 07:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Tally likes Pedigree and she has had no health problems since I put her on it, so I am going to keep her on it.
Tally is 12 weeks old, right? So you have no idea how she will do on it. I think she's also a Westie - a breed notorious for skin problems. Eating garbage sure won't help that.

You may like Big Macs too, but a steady diet of them would do little for your health.

Last edited by Ford; February 7th, 2008 at 12:35 PM.