Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 15th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

back to day one

I am really pissed (excuse my language). It took me almost 9 months to housetrain my 1 year old female beagle and finally in the last 3 months she has caught on that you go outside to pee (pooping is still a work in progress but she is better). My landlord decided today to lime and fertilize his lawn and has informed us that we are no longer allowed to let the dogs go to the bathroom on the lawn or even play on it which I totally understand because they have ruined a nice chunk of it digging and playing and such.

My older dog is fine...he goes out on his leash, walks over to the public mailboxes and pees as to not offend anyone and pee on their lawns (really hooty tooty subdivison I am now in), but my beagle is upset. She goes outside and suddenly can't pee in the one spot on the lawn that was "hers" and she really doesn't know what to do. For the year that I have had her she has never peed while on a walk..she will hold it until we get home then go on that one spot. I just then spent three hours taking her out every 15 mins and still finally when she couldn't hold it any longer peed and pooped in the house. I can't get mad at her beacuse the poor thing doesn't get why I won't allow her back in her spot and I don't want to kennel her when she is inside like a new puppy because she knows how to hold it...she has control over her bladder she is just confused.

Please help me...besides that lawn there is all pavement for our walkway and driveway and I don't know what to do with her? I don't know how to train her for another spot. I do have her trained that when I say "pee pee" she pees on command but still only in her spot. I feel so bad for her...what can I do to make this transition better on her?
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

OH CRAP so to speak CJ I'm sorry to hear that!
My Sadie used to hold it forever end of day until we got home as well.

Why did the dork let you have dogs if you can't use the yard (DUH)
What if you offer to fix the yard AFTER you leave and repair holes/seed when needed? Does he LIVE there too or no?

Eventually longer walks and taking for a walk just before they need to pee seems to work. When pup pees on a walk reward with praise and a treat
Old May 16th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

yeah he lives here too, we did offer to fix it and he said we will be but he wants the perfect lawn. I am going to try the treat thing thanks.
Old May 16th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Good luck let me know how it turns out
Old May 16th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

Talking treat worked for now

The treat thing has worked 50% of the time..I took her out once and she could care less and peed inside once we were home and the second time she peed I gave her a treat and she was very surprised so maybe it will work. I am trying to stay optimistic
Old May 16th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Little bugger head. LOL
Sadie used to do that as well, but in time it will work out!!