Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old November 24th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Never been so scared

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last evening before I picked up my daughter from school, Harley and I stopped at a dog park where I knew no one would be. To work on retrieving, and coming when called. For 10 mins, all was great, happy doggie.
Then someone came in. Before then unleashed there dog ( pitbull mix) I asked how he was with other dogs, because Harley is great, very friendly, and non dominant, I was not worried. The guy mid 20's responded he is great with them. My fault I should have left, But I trusted him. Dog showed no signs of dominance, or aggression from opposite side of fence.
So here where it gets really scary. Haley was running for the ball I threw. He did not even have a chance to get to the ball before the dog lunged for harley's throat. I ran to my baby's side, who was not fighting back, just protecting himself. I was screaming and crying, the guy just stood there, did not try to help. Finally I kicked the dog so hard, I think I might have cracked something, I did not care. My baby was getting hurt. The dog came back at Harley, As I was pulling harley away the dog lunged again, this time missing harley, and getting my Arm. I am ok, he let go. I kicked the dog again ( very hard. Ran with Harley to the door and got out of there. Screaming and crying at the same time.
I am never going back.
I decribed the dog to the city, and someone else has reported the dog, for aggression issues. Why in the hell would you say the dog was great with other dogs, well knowing it attacked another.

I am in shock still. I brought Harley into the vet right after it happened and got him checked out. He is ok, only a few little punture wounds. They said he did not need his rabies shot because he is up to date with it, just to watch for possible infection......
As soon as we picked up my daughter, thank god she was not there. Harley played to forget the whole thing, Seeing my daughter brought him back to happy land........
My moral of this incident is never trust another dog, and there owner unless you know them well.
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:18 AM

I can only imagine how you felt! I am so glad Harley is ok... And you, of course!

Some people should be shot!
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

OMG that must have been so scarey for both of you!!
But I honestly think this guy knew what his dog was all about, and wanted this to happen!! To see if his dog could "take" a rottie!!
I know that sounds crazy, but since the guy lied and did nothing when his dog attacked, I believe this is exactly what he wanted, and intended!!
He is probably some young idiot, who has no balls, so gets a dog to be tough, because he is a wimp and needs a tough dog to feel like a BIG man!!
Unfortunately the only one who will pay, will be that dog! And thats exactly why pits get a bad rap, because of idiot owners like him!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old November 24th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Coopers mom

Rottie may i ask what dog park it was??
just so others might know where this dog goes to look out for this man

and i wouldn't want my little guy in the same situation

thank god harley is alright and you as well..
Old November 24th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Think of it this way, some of the worst serial killers were very personable-like Bundy? If this guy did this intentionally, that's what he is, a serial killer using his dog as his weapon. Most of them started torturing animals. I notice he also did nothing to stop his dog when he attacked you. I hope the city takes this very seriously and finds this guy. And yes, the poor dog will get the brunt of it. He probably gets positive reinforcement every time something happens. The attacks will get worse.
Old November 24th, 2005, 01:28 PM

I am sorry that you and your dog had to endure this and am very hapy to hear you both came away with no serious injuries.

I have also experienced a situation (althought no nearly as terrifying) where I was stunned at another owner's failure to act at a dog park.

It makes me angry that my dog will miss out on being able to go and have fun at a dog park because of other irresponsible owners but if that's what I have to do to keep my dog safe then like it our not that is what I have to do.
Old November 24th, 2005, 01:57 PM

It's good that you managed to boot the doggy off. What a psycho to just stand there. I hope Harley doesn't have an issue with anybody after that.
Old November 27th, 2005, 11:34 PM

fight back!

Just in regards to that, as I am trying to open my own dog park here in Ontatrio, I have spoken to a lot of people about what you can and can't control in a park. I was told that if an aggressive dog is in the park, you can report the owners plates to the police and city and if he returns, he is asked to leave, if returning once more, apparently the city will issue a no tresspassing warning to the owner and then after that any violations are breaking the law and proper punishment will be given.

You would think people would be smarter than that. If you know you're dog is aggressive, why bring them to a park where you risk having your dog get put to sleep? For Sh#@ts and giggles to watch your dog fight? Well I can't understand it but I guess in todays society there are alot of things I dont get. I am sooo glad that your pups ok though!

I watched my friends dog get visciously attacked by two pitbulls and he was a BIG rotti and hislittle collie girlfriend had major damages from the same two dogs. Pitty what goes on these days.

Was there any follow up on the attack?

~Caspars mom~
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:33 AM
-

I am happy to hear that he had a good play date which is great for his social well being but unfortunately you won't really see how this incident has affected him until you meet up with a strange dog.
Old November 28th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Rottie owner and lover

there are strange dogs walking around my place all the time, he is fine, still a great heel, and never a peep. I just have a very sturdy dog. Thank god. Love him to pieces,. SPCA will not do anything, they will not release any info. All they said is next time get his licence plate #, and report to police, and the city
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry for what happened to Harley. This is why dog parks aren't a good idea. But anyway....

Quote:
the pitbulls that I have met at the dog park are mostly owned by young males.
Pit bulls do NOT belong in dog parks when they are past the age of 5 months. Ever. For any reason. Period. Anyone who takes one there is either irresponsible, ignorant, delusional ("I watch my dog/I KNOW my dog!!") or all three.
Old November 28th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree Deb!

But at the same time I hope KP friend that you are that cautious with every breed of dog because that is when things happen. You may feel more comfortable with the lovely Lab approaching your dog while worrying about the pit bull approaching and find yourself very shocked and taken out of that comfort zone pretty quick. That is the only thing I worry about with people is that they think if its not a pit bull I don't need to worry. Big mistake and creates a serious false sense of security. Just like the pit bull ban itself. You should be that cautious and not more so with any breed that approaches.