Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 6th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Repeat Sex Offender Released in Brampton

Okay I can't find a link yet because this JUST happened!

A 31 year old man, with repeated sex offences and weapons offences has just been released in Brampton.

He has said he WILL reoffend if they let him out. His wants to be like Paul Bernardo, he told corrections officials.

And now he gets his chance.

When I find out more I'll let you know!
I was just so outraged by this and it turned my stomach. His own mother as begged for them to keep him off the streets.

I don't get it?? IF he says he WILL reoffend then he is a danger to others and they can insitutionalize him under the Canadian Mental Health act for a 72 hour evaluation and realize that he WILL reoffend because he SAYS he will as soon as he has an opportunity.

I can't believe this!!!! I can't!! I'm in shock!

BTW Homolka walks in a year!
Old July 6th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I heard about this on the news...the reason that he has been released is because he served his whole term and there's "nothing" that they could do. The "insanity" needs to be established before sentencing or they cannot hold them any longer then his sentence. It's absolutely disgusting I know! He doesn't have a parol officer or anything - he's not on probation as that also needs to be done during sentencing. Very sick world we live in. Peel police have said that they will be keeping an eye out for this man - I guess that supposed to make us feel better... I live across for one of the police stations, should feel safe right, but as my friend says, they never put a police station in a safe neighbourhood...
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

There is actually something they can do which is why I"m not sure they aren't doing it!

This is 'aside' from his sentencing and serving to his statutory release date.

http://www.toronto.cmha.ca/c_mental_...health_act.asp

The Mental Health Act
Basically, if a person is a danger to themselves or to others the Mental Health Act allows a doctor (by completing a Form 1) or a justice of the peace (by completing a Form 2) to hospitalize that person involuntarily for a period of three days for a psychiatric assessment.

16. (1) Where information upon oath is brought before a justice of the peace that a person within the limits of the jurisdiction of the justice,

(a) has threatened or attempted or is threatening or attempting to cause bodily harm to himself or herself;

(b) has behaved or is behaving violently towards another person or has caused or is causing another person to fear bodily harm from him or her; or

(c) has shown or is showing a lack of competence to care for himself or herself,

and in addition based upon the information before him or her the justice of the peace has reasonable cause to believe that the person is apparently suffering from mental disorder of a nature or quality that likely will result in,

(d) serious bodily harm to the person;

(e) serious bodily harm to another person; or

(f) serious physical impairment of the person,

the justice of the peace may issue an order in the prescribed form for the examination of the person by a physician. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.7, s. 16 (1); 2000, c. 9, s. 4 (1).

Conditions for involuntary admission

(1.1) The attending physician shall complete a certificate of involuntary admission or a certificate of renewal if, after examining the patient, he or she is of the opinion that the patient,

(a) has previously received treatment for mental disorder of an ongoing or recurring nature that, when not treated, is of a nature or quality that likely will result in serious bodily harm to the person or to another person or substantial mental or physical deterioration of the person or serious physical impairment of the person;

(b) has shown clinical improvement as a result of the treatment;

(c) is suffering from the same mental disorder as the one for which he or she previously received treatment or from a mental disorder that is similar to the previous one;

(d) given the person’s history of mental disorder and current mental or physical condition, is likely to cause serious bodily harm to himself or herself or to another person or is likely to suffer substantial mental or physical deterioration or serious physical impairment;

(e) has been found incapable, within the meaning of the Health Care Consent Act, 1996, of consenting to his or her treatment in a psychiatric facility and the consent of his or her substitute decision-maker has been obtained; and

(f) is not suitable for admission or continuation as an informal or voluntary patient. 2000, c. 9, s. 7 (2).

Authority of certificate

(4) An involuntary patient may be detained, restrained, observed and examined in a psychiatric facility,

(a) for not more than two weeks under a certificate of involuntary admission; and

(b) for not more than,

(i) one additional month under a first certificate of renewal,

(ii) two additional months under a second certificate of renewal, and

(iii) three additional months under a third or subsequent certificate of renewal,

that is completed and filed with the officer in charge by the attending physician. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.7, s. 20
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

This is just unbelievable what is Ontario comming to??????
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Too bad human euthanization is not legal.
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Sure is something when his own mother comes fwd and states he will reoffend, he's told her he wants to kill and that they still release him.
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:35 PM

Or human neutering.
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well thats not gonna stop him from killing though, the man admits he has a desire to murder..... chopping his kahunas off does little to prevent that.

We may be thinking distorted but what choice do you have when things like this happen? It's tragic!

Who will be accepting the blame when he reoffends. WORSE who's going to jail for targeting this man as he walks the streets. You never know who's gonna get him or try to...and then that poor schmuck and his/her family will suffer while dodo birdhead is still out and now considered the victim.
Old July 7th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes,he said he wants to be known as the most"prolific"(sp?)killer in Canada
So,who is our justice-system going to sacrifise...your daughter,sister or mother?
Old July 7th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Senior Contributor

You are a wealth of information Luba, I knew there was something in the health act similar to that but I couldn't put it in words,(great job ) we had a family member (my ex's family) that was mentally unstable and there are ways to have them commited maybe mom should instigate it, be vocal about it tell everyone who will listen (with the power to do something about it) I know I would if it was my son *cringe* I wouldn't want it on my concience that I stood by and did nothing when all of his wishes are publicly known Especially when they are publicly known you would think that someone would step up to the plate and do something before he does.
Hopefully someone with authority will, I fail to understand why they wouldn't They would be considered a hero in my eyes to have prevented what could be a brutal end to some poor unknowing soul

If there was a death penalty I believe Homolka and Bernardo would have been great candidates for it IMHO that girl should stay behind bars forever what she did was as bad as bernardo and our justice system should never had made a deal with her, boy did she ever outsmart them. There should have been a loophole in the deal so they could renege on it like they do to innocent people with much lesser charges
Old July 7th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Laura,we have no death-penalty and there are a few people who should no more be breathing,Bernardo and Homolka good examples.
Sometimes though,a quick death is too easy,a lifetime in jail(if they stay)is more of a punishment.
The problem here in Canada is,life-time seldom means life....we have one example in todays paper,where a killer gets life with no chance of parol for 7yrs,what kind of life-sentence is that?
Old July 7th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Isn't that beautiful just beautiful!!

Boggles the mind doesn't it!
Old July 7th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Luba, the link you provided me on the other thread about the abused brothers also had an article (7/7) about the release of Martin Ferrier in Brampton. Is this the same? Sounds like your mayor is actively trying to alert and protect the citizens, i.e. circulating posters, photos, etc.
Old July 7th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Same sex offender YES!

What I don't get, is they're thinking of actually publically stating his residence address. HELLO!! Like WTF kind of society is this? We know something is gonna happen, it's almost like they are trying to incite violence. Though this man should not be out on the streets, the correctional system has no right to realease his address. They need to use the mental health act to have him involuntarily admitted for assessment.
Old July 7th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

When they're in prison, the highly notorious inmates are kept "protected" from the other inmates. I'm sorry but if they choose to do violence, they should have to live in that world they've chosen. Throw them in with the other inmates!
Old July 7th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well he made a death threat and now he's back in jail for 2 years.

He was rearrested and is out of the community for now, whew!

Not to say there aren't hundreds more like him!
Old July 7th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Hopefully, he knew what he would do and that he isn't capable of controlling himself and made that threat knowing he'd be re-incarcerated where it's "safe".
Old July 7th, 2004, 12:50 PM

"Incurable psychopath" back behind bars

Here is a link to the news on Ferrier being arrested yet again.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...528422-cp.html
Old July 7th, 2004, 02:03 PM

Yes,i agree thank goodness he is back in jail..but for how long?
Same paper i read this in..London...mentioned Homolka is being released
July 5,2005.
I lived with my 2 teenage daughters in Winona and worked in Burlington when all this Bernardo/Homolka stuff was going on.
I remember not letting my girls go anywhere unless i drove them or another adult.
The were under house arrest for months..now i look at my grandsons and wonder what kind of world we have???
Rolly
Old July 7th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Rolly,living in Oakville and driving a Camaro at the time,I and all other Camaro owners had to have their cars search.Some dumb-dumb did not know the difference between a Camaro and the Japanese car,Bernardo was driving.
Old July 7th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

so sad. at least this bloke is at a point wehre he recognises his danger to society, but it sucks that he may have to do something bad to get their attention, he will most probably end up hurting someone and himself just to get help, what a stupid system where people beg for help but he is ignored. oh but if he did something really bad he would be blamed and done for it, but what responsibilities would be placed on the beurocrats heads (sorry bad spelling)??
i dont think it is fair to advertise his address, photo or crime, he has LEGALLY fullfilled his sentance, weather right or wrong he has done his time. also i know for a fact that if i had a rockspider (pedophile) living in my street i would be down there with a bloody axe at dawn to sort him out and would probably kill him or at least make his life hell, and i know people who would do worse, it just isnt fair to do it. stupid systems, gosh there needs to be some stupidity clause in this world
Old July 7th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

After reading the article, it's my understanding he didn't ask for help. He refused to participate in any rehab programs in prison. He just stated that he would reoffend again if he is let out. I just think maybe he realizes he's dead on the outside! He was labeled as a psychopath, which means no conscience or remorse at all for his actions
Old July 7th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Yeah but I'm sure he knew he was short-lived on the streets. Hence his 'early' reoffence.

MAMA help me help me they're gonna hurt me ....