Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 30th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Question at a loss

I know I've mentioned this before but i need some input...Nickie, my 15-16 year cat is doing very well. She plays and eats and does everything a cat loves to do...but and this is a big but....She has been sneezing for months and has discharge in her right nostril. I have been to the vets and I have been given antibiotics and they didn;t work and finally a viral-dietary supplemant....BUT SHE IS STILL sneezing.......what can this be.

Is she allergic to something, does she have asthma.....the vet thinks its a normal cold....but it has been months now....and it started before the other recues came into the picture...so any ideas.......what can I do next?
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

It could be viral (feline herpes) or allergies. Do you use any rug or air sprays? What about trying to change her litter to the pellets just incase it is the dust?

I doubt it is asthma, when I took Puddles to the vet after her coughing fit, the vet said that asthma normally needs meds to get under control. I also doubt it is bacterial as it would get progessively worse or better, but not consistent.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:58 AM
-

I'm at a loss Cpietra....Kale has asthma and he doesn't sneeze at all with it, so I don't think that that is a symptom....course I could be wrong.
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys,

The vet gave us this viral-dietary supplement...I am at work and don;t have the name..but I will let you know tonight. anyway, I gave it to her for 2 weeks and no change....
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
I have been to the vets and I have been given antibiotics and they didn;t work and finally a viral-dietary supplemant....BUT SHE IS STILL sneezing.......what can this be.
Hard to say what might be going on. Like Love4himies said, it could be allergies, could be herpes, then there's also the possibility of a fungal infection or a growth or a lodged foreign object. Does the dietary supplement contain L-lysine, by any chance? That's commonly used in herpes cases.

Perhaps she would benefit from some steam-therapy. If can hang out with her for 10 minutes in the bathroom with a hot shower running a couple times a day, that might help loosen things up. It's good that she's still eating and playing!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I would think you were given Viralys?
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

BMDLuver, I think you're right. I need to check that when I go home...I know that whatever it is..its not working very well. Usually when my cats are sick they act sick, but she doesn;t. She is playful and why discharge only from one nostril?
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I should add that non of the other cats are sneezing or seem to be sick. You woul dthink that after a few months of this one of the other cats may get it....I am thinking allergies....but then why the discharge...and its starting to look green which may mean an infection....UGH...I'm stumped and my vet sticks to the antibiotics...I;ve tried them all....not change.
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:39 PM
-

If none of the other cats are sneezing then it sounds more likely that it is allergies to me too. Did the vet check for nasal polyps?
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:43 PM
-

I just found this information and since it is only one nostril that is affected then it sounds like polyps or a tumour ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.articlesbase.com/pets-articles/four-common-causes-of-feline-sneezing-644786.html

Allergies

Feline sneezing can also be caused by allergies. Your cat can be allergic to household cleaning chemicals, smoke, or even perfume or cologne that you wear. Similar to people, some cats also have episodes of feline sneezing at certain times of the year. This is likely due to the fact that the cat is allergic to something in the air.

Airways

One of the final causes of feline sneezing is a change in your cat's airways. Fungal infections can occur in your cat's nasal passages and cause problems. Also, tumors or nasal polyps can form and cause feline sneezing. This usually affects only one nostril and commonly occurs in older cats.
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Rainbow.. I will take this info to my vet.