Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 22nd, 2003, 04:33 PM

Cool housebreaking puppies

Hi All you animal lovers and trainers...
We have a cute little black lab pup who is 9 weeks old named Duke, and we have had him a week...The first 3 nites we had him, we put him in his crate at about 10 pm,...cause he was soooo tired...and he slept until 6 am...no whimpering (we rubbed a towel on his siblings to get their scent when we went to pick him up and I think that helped him sleep all nite) So there was no crying or any messes in his crate !!

SO, I have some questions... He is now messing everynite (the last 5 in his crate except for the one night we woke Duke up at 1 am to go outside...) He has rolled all in it by morning and it is stuck to his paws. I thought they didn't like to mess in their crates and why did he do so well the first 3 nites with no problems? Do I then set the alarm for 1 am, 3 am, 5 am?

Another question is puppy stool is really watery and loose...every time..and he poops sometimes 7 times a day...is that normal?

Took a stool sample into vet..came back negative for whatever they tested him for, so the receptionist said to cut back on his food intake...( was going by the package..and she said the packages say to give too much food)

What is the normal food intake for a 9 week old lab puppy...on Proplan puppy food? (same food breeder started him on)

We have had Duke eliminate, then put him in the crate to run an errand...come back in NO MORE than 30 mins...he eliminated in his crate....Some times he can go for 2 hours...but it's a game of chance..even if he has just gone poppy right before

He also is peeing sometimes like 4 - 6 times in 1/2 hour in our yard...is that normal?

Please give us any suggestions! We are spending an hour cleaning the crate, and giving puppy bath each morning...and getting grossed out!

I expect accidents, I know that happens...I just don't think this is normal for a puppy, but not sure what to do!

Thanks,
DuKe's Mom