Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old October 15th, 2010, 11:05 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Dogdancer - your geranium question.......

I am attaching a picture of a geranium head with seed pods developing so you know what to look for. The seeds, when ready to harvest, will be in the bottom part of the long green pieces - the seed pod. The seed pod should be allowed to turn brown before harvesting. Hope it helps. Also an article on how to collect them properly.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5565595_coll...ium-seeds.html
Attached Images

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; October 15th, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old October 15th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

14+ you are amazing. I would never have thought that those spears were the seed pods! DOH.... It will certainly make it easier when I'm looking for the new seeds. Thank you so so much. Not only are you our cat expert you're my gardening hero as well.
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Awwww shucks! You're welcome. It's not hard to overlook them. I did for years until one day I noticed a seed pod opening on a plant I was about to deadhead. Nurseries sure don't want you knowing how to find the seeds. They loose out.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Well I did find some seeds. Some of the flowers we took before those spikes (pods) came out. My neighbour saved me a pile of his but no pods either. The flowers outside now (actually in the greenhouse) are not going to seed. They just seem to be rotting with no pods. Well hey, it was an experiment this year anyhow. Thanks again my friend for your help with these.
Old October 17th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Live well, laugh often

Oooohhhhh, very cool. Now I am gonna need to check my geraniums . I still have some flowering so hopefully they will have the pods .
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Teri I hope you find some seeds too. My hubby usually has about 50 pots out and about in the yard full of geraniums every year. No that is not a typo. Each pot will hold two or three geraniums. That spells $$$$ every year on the damn flowers. This year we said no more! So after 14+ told me about growing our own we bought some seeds, but boy were they expensive too $5.00 for like 6 - 10 seeds depending on the pack. We did find a couple packs that were less. We had no problem growing them. We also bought about 10 large geraniums (at $8.00 each ) to grow for seeds for this year. So now we have collected some seeds (since I finally knows those spikes are the seed pods...). Hubby has had some trays made up to fit our bay windows so we can put the little seed pots in the house come December rather than paying to heat the greenhouse all winter. I'm hoping we can get a good crop of geraniums for the yard next summer. Thanks again 14+.