Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old November 29th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Question boxer or pointer??

My husband and I have been shopping around for a boxer. We have looked into rescue, and talked to a few breeders. On Saturday, we went to the Montreal Dog Show. There, we fell in love with a german shorthaired pointer. The lady at the dog show said that they are great family pets and she would recommend one to anybody.
The reason we wanted a boxer, other than the fact that they are gorgeous, is because they are gentle with children. We don't have any yet, but intend on having some in about 4 to 5 years. I've read up on the GSP and some books say that they are great with young kids and some say that they are too rowdy to be around children. There are also websites who say that the Boxer is also too rowdy for kids.
We are a little lost, and overwhelmed by all the contradicting information. Does anyone have a boxer or a pointer? Any opinions?
Thanks alot!
a very confused puppy lover
Old November 29th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Senior Contributor

These two breeds are very different but have one thing in common - they are very high energy.

You're very wise to do research before choosing a breed that will fit your lifestyle. It's important to look at what a dog was bred for. For example GSPs were bred to spend all day in the field hunting birds in all weather. That gives an indication of the amount of exercise and stimulation they need. Also, since they were bred to work more or less independantly, they may not be candidates for obedience trials.

Most dogs who are called "rowdy" or "hyper" are not. They are usually a high energy breed who is not getting sufficient exercise, stimulation or training. This will create frustration and consequent unpleasant behaviors - barking, chewing or "rowdiness."

As for a dog that will be gentle with children, that depends on the individual dog.

If you get a puppy who is raised with children - children who are supervised and taught how to treat a dog properly - there should be no problem.
Old November 30th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

how much exercise does a 'high energy' dog need?

I've always considered us to be relatively active people...we like to go for walks, rollerblading in the summer, etc. Is a one hour walk enough exercise for a boxer or pointer?? We also have a backyard the dog can run in...Will that be enough? or should I consider another dog?
Old November 30th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Go online and find the breed club in your area. Talk to a couple of different breeders. I am not sure I would buy a dog from a breeder who would recommend her breed to everyone.

I love my rottweiler and she is by far, the best dog I have ever owned and I love her VERY, VERY much. But I'll tell you right now, I have met very FEW people I would recommend the breed to.
Old November 30th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Pointer

If you would like to meet an adult German Wirehaired Pointer, we can make arrangements for you to visit one. We presently have one available for adoption. He has been tested with children aged 2 & 3. Please feel free to contact me. At least it may help you to get a better idea of his energy level and his fosters can tell you how he is with them as well. Thanks.
Old November 30th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
We also have a backyard the dog can run in...Will that be enough?
Not unless you are out there with the dog, playing fetch, frisbee or whatever. Dogs do not run around exercising themselves in backyards. What they are more likely to do is dig, bark, or sit at the backdoor wanting in.

Dogs, particularly working/hunting dogs, need stimulation and challenges to be happy.

If you want a dog who is happy with a daily walk, and will spend time just hanging out around the house with you I really suggest another breed, unless you get an adult dog of your preferred breeds who is already known not to be super high energy. This is quite possible.

I have a dog of a breed that is known to be very high energy, but my dog is not and that is one of the reasons why I adopted her. But she was an adult so I already knew that about her. I"m sure you can find just the right one for you!
Old November 30th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Great that you are doing reseach on different breeds. By speaking with owners of these types of dogs most people are very approachable when you want to talk about their dogs. I always stop if people have questions about my boy also a great dog but definitely not for everyone. I have an English Mastiff who are great with kids but they also tend to knock them over they are rather big my guy is small at 155 pounds his pal is 210 pounds and he lives with 2 very small children and guards them all the time and is very gentle with them but they have been raised with this dog since birth so it works well. The dog was a pup when they had their first baby. So I would just approach people you will know right away if someone knows what they are talking about and grab a dogs annual it gives you lots of information and all the rescues and breed clubs are listed
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 30th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

I think if you are putting so much time into researching the dog you want, I am sure you will make a sound choice. I would suggest fostering a dog from a breed rescue (not one with huge emotional issues- just one who needs a temporary place to lay his head), to see if the breed is truely one you want to live with. Often a person/breeder with a dog will go on and on about how great the breed is but living with one is a whole different experience.
I would also encourage you to visit lots of shelters. The perfect breed or mix could be waiting for you there. It would be best if it has been tested with kids and you would need to keep up the positive socialization with kids. I can't tell you how many people I have assisted who were set on a certain breed and we located some litters for them - only to find out that they had just visited a shelter and found the love of their lives there in a totally different breed or mix.
As Lucky said - it depends on the individual dog. A litter of Labs will have general Lab traits, but each puppy has it's own temperament. Normally I would discourage getting a dog whose lineage is very close to it's original purpose of hunting or even herding. Some breeders breed working lines and they are not always the best for the family life. Other breeders breed for temperament as companion dogs. In the U.S. the Lab has taken such extreme turns in its breeding that you can find the gammut of "pure bred" Labs that don't even begin to resemble the traditional English lab and they are bouncing off the walls all day because they are so driven to work.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old November 30th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the advise everyone!
Everybody is so helpfull on this site!!

I spoke to a few pointer breeders today. Three, to be exact. One (the lady I met at the dog show) told me that HER dogs are super well-behaved and are not high energy whereas the two other breeders told me that this breed is not ideal for a family companion, it should be a working dog.
LAVENDERROTT is right, I probably shouldn't trust a breeder who recommends her dog to any household.
We used to babysit our friends Boxer evrytime they went out of town (which was often), that's one of the reasons we were looking into the Boxer breed. This dog was as sweet as can be. He had alot of energy, but nothing like what I've read about (I saw on one Boxer web site a dog who ripped the drywall off and chewed it to pieces!! YIKES!! )
I plan on crate-training my dog, so hopefully he won't tear open our house!!
Is there a way to pick a calm dog out of a litter of puppies or do you have to just wait and see?
Old November 30th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Daisy is as hyper as all get-out (rotti-pit cross). Sometimes she gets so wound up, she just runs circles when we let her out in the backyard (the run of happiness, as it has become known. Not to be confused with the run of stupid, which is just back and forth down the hall at top speed). And she's 3. But when she's around the kids, she's extremely gentle. And when she is all wired and we need her to calm, we just say, "Chill!", and she usually calms down (sometimes we have to do it twice). I don't know how relevant this is with the breed you're looking at, but just an anecdote about a hyper dog who has adapted very well in our home. Of course, the kids only visit every couple of months. We'll see when our own Schwinn Jr arrives! (I guess that'd make him a trike!)
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Is there a way to pick a calm dog out of a litter of puppies or do you have to just wait and see?
A really good breeder will pick a puppy for you. After all, he/she knows them best and wants to make a perfect match.

Quote:
Not to be confused with the run of stupid
Would you be talking about the Zoomies??
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:54 PM

Here is a listing for a GSP that is great with kids (he is still a pup) the only hitch???? He's deaf!! Please dont let this deter you, take a look first!!
http://www.deafdogs.org/adoption/profiles/dancer.html
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffmom
Here is a listing for a GSP that is great with kids (he is still a pup) the only hitch???? He's deaf!! Please dont let this deter you, take a look first!!
http://www.deafdogs.org/adoption/profiles/dancer.html
"He's a good dog, he just won't listen!" ( I couldn't resist. I will now take my snickering self to my room in shame)
Old November 30th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Would you be talking about the Zoomies??
Probably! It's one of the funniest things she does...I take that back. I don't know if I could pick just one. But it's up there! Fortunately, she grew out of running until she hit a wall. Now she'll stop and turn around.
Old December 1st, 2004, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks for all the advice everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
Daisy is as hyper as all get-out (rotti-pit cross). Sometimes she gets so wound up, she just runs circles when we let her out in the backyard (the run of happiness, as it has become known. Not to be confused with the run of stupid, which is just back and forth down the hall at top speed).
LOL -- and thanks for the laughs....
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:09 PM

I am on my fourth German Shorthaired Pointer.

My uptight dog-fearing (for 50 years) neighbour got one and named it after my last one when he gave up the ghost.

They are great with Kids. Even if you did play rough with them they are extremely aware and gentle when mouthing because they have been bred to be gentle as they are bird dogs. Also, as bird dogs they have been bred to work and be with people. They don't like to live apart from the family, they want to be with the family. So don't get one unless it will live in the house with you and you are around.

I have to disagree with Lucky Rescue about excersising dogs. They are all different and generally there are bred traits. GSP's will self excersise, they will tear around for an hour or more in the backyard on their own. But, this doesn't mean you can just put them out and forget about them. They like a good run in the bush and they will be better pets (housedogs) for it.

I will agree on the point about the breeder helping to pick out an appropriate pup. GSP's can be very active for some people (read: don't slow down in the house). My sister has a GSP she rescued at 1 yr of age. He is big/oversized, and is excited and on the move all the time. My GSP, on the other hand, is as mellow as can be in the house. Once she is out in the bush the switch flips. SHe will run/hunt full steam for 4/6 hours and then A) not be ready to get in the car to go home, and B) not be tired out and ready to go to the dog park and play for another couple hours.

Regarding the German Wirehaired Pointer mentioned above, despite the similar colour/markings they have a very different heritage/breed make-up from the GSP. Generally they can be more of a single person dog and not quite as patient as the GSP, a little less playful. The GWP are still great dogs, and are a little less energetic.

BTW, I have had a lab and a hound mutt and a Scottie so I have a little perspective here.

Back to the GSP. They are very smart (easy to train) and happy all the time, get one!

As for boxers I don't know anything about them other than every one I've met has been super friendly.

Good luck!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you db7!
I appreciate the info! you are the first GSP owner who has written to me. I have a question for you ... How much do the GSP shed? The breeders I spoke to couldn't come to a consensus on the matter . One said they are pretty heavy shedders and two others said they are moderate to light shedders....
thanks again
Old December 4th, 2004, 07:38 AM

they shed moderate to light depending on the dog. Some have heavier coats than others. They have a veryfine undercoat and a heavier top coat. Agood brushing helps alot and doesn't take much time at all. Shorthaired being the operative word here! You won't have to sweep every day. The coarse hairs are very stiff though so when they stick in to clothes they stick pretty good. I fyou wanted a less hair-shedding dog you would be looking at terriers and the like.
Old December 4th, 2004, 07:50 AM

exercise tijme

An hour on the leash is probably not enough. An hour off the leash will be fine. The pointer will cover roughly 10 times the ground you do when walking through the field or bush off leash.

They won't leave you alone if you skip their walk. They have great internal clocks.

They can run full steam for hours and hours. So a good hike on the weekend makesw a very happy GSP.

THe breed is used extensively as racing sled dogs. They are very fast have tremendous stamina. They will run further and faster if with another dog. Alone, a well bred GSP will stay relatively close to you at kind of a half speed run. The german wirehair will go "hunt" slower.

Here is the email for Heather Brennan. She is a breeder and also handles GSP rescue in Ontario. She can probably find someone closer to home for you.
nuthatch@aztec-net.com
Old December 9th, 2004, 08:34 AM

boxers

I emailed you privately....i have 3 kids...and we just got a boxer...3 weeks ago.
She is great and its the best decision we made.....she is great with kids...and activitiy wise....we heard that too....we give her 2 walks...she runs in the yard...her crazy boxer run....like she is chased by the devilLOL..
and she is also a couch potatoe...she is just fantastic....we got her crate trained from the breeder...which is a huge plus
we LOVE her to pieces :love:
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

thanx

thanx boxerrescueMTL! and thanx mommy3!
boxerrescueMTL saved me from getting a dog from a puppymill disguised as a breeder . I knew something was fishy when he didn't ask ANY information about me.
after ALOT of reading, we have decided that a boxer would fit our lifestyle perfectly. I got a letter from a breeder who is expecting a litter next summer...we're keeping our fingers crossed that we are chosen to get one of his puppies.
thanx again, everyone has been a great help
Old December 10th, 2004, 06:43 PM

Run of Stupid

ha ha Schwinn...Gabby does the run of stupid too! She runs in and out of the guest bedroom and down the hall and back at top speed, jumping on the bed and turning around each time. It is hilarious!
Old December 11th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

boxer puppy mill

Hi everyone,
The boxer puppy mill is " **** ". Please never buy a puppy from them. I have met many unhappy people who have sick puppies from them and they pump out many, many puppies a year.

thx!
Crystal

Last edited by White Wolf; August 3rd, 2006 at 11:46 PM. Reason: slander
Old December 12th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

We call it "having a happy". When Den-Den does it, he looks like a jackrabbit, head up, back legs tucked in and going faster than the front legs can keep up with!
Old December 12th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Senior Contributor

We just call it the"crazies"when my cats run up and down the stairs,slide on the wood-floor bump in to the wall,area-rugs flying and anything else in their way,only to conk out on a soft place somewhere certainly entertaining!
Old December 13th, 2004, 11:41 PM

i grew up with boxers and they are great dogs,one of my uncles has GSPand he had to pts one of them after it bit his 3yr old,but he has two others know that are great,also another breed that is good with kids is the lab they are very loving and friendly and love kids,but basically what im saying is dont judge a dog by its breed. ive known dobies and rotts that were great with kids so you never know. if you get a puppy thay are more likly to be good with kids nomatter what breed cuz thay learn how to behave around them.