Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 7th, 2004, 01:34 PM

Question False Pregnancy

I have a Calico cat who I adopted from shelter. Her paperwork indicated she had been pregnant at time of spay. I adopted her about 10 days after her spay. She was very skinny - she had weight 8.5 lbs on receipt in shelter and just under 6 lbs when I got her. Took her to the vet as she was not eating and was sleeping constantly. The vet put her on antibiotics and appetite stimulant. Started her on Iams, and free fed her to get her eating. She started getting fat pretty quick and then her nipples pinked up and her belly became larger, and her nipples swelled. She is now shredding paper and putting the dog toys in the shredded paper. She is grooming the dog, even pinning her down, and the dog loves it. She is yowling day and night. I believe she is demonstrating false pregnancy and everything I read said it will go away and takes up to 2 months. Any other advice? Janet
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

This may sound silly, but are you sure she was spayed? Is her belly shaved and can you see the incision?
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:02 PM

She came from a shelter, they had tatooed her belly to show spayed and number tatoo as well. I see what looks like an incision, it was already healed and stitches removed when adopted. Her paper work shows Pregnant on the sheet and we questioned it and they said they terminated the pregnancy.

I have had this thought I will find kittens one of these mornings - but I think they spayed her.

Janet
Old April 7th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Senior Contributor

False pregnancy is not seen very often in cats, but it can happen. Yes, it will take about 2 months for her to cycle herself out of it.

There isn't much you can do. Just make sure she is eating and drinking normally and is showing no signs of illness, like lethargy, diarrhea, or any discharge.

Let us know if any kittens pop up.
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Wouldn't that be something... get a cat from a shelter thats supposed to be spayed, and then the cat has kittens.
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:31 AM

If she's an older cat (not old, just not a kitten) and had litters before she got spayed, then this is common behavior. She still has some hormones in her system and they are telling her body that since she bred, she's going to have kittens. My momma cat had three litters before I altered her and still sometimes I think she's in heat. She also carries around her McDonald's beanie babies, puts them in her bed and curls up around them. I guess its empty nest syndrome, lol! Also, she sometimes forces the other cats to the ground and gives them a cleaning like their life depended on it. So yes, all the things that your cat is doing are normal and once the hormones level off, she should get better. And keep in mind that females usually gain weight after being spayed. If she's tatooed though, she was definitely spayed. If you do think she's pregnant, however, keep in mind that gestation is about 62 days. Around 4 to 6 weeks you can actually feel the babies. But I don't think you'll have to worry about that!