Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 21st, 2004, 12:04 AM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

It is SO cold out there

For those of us who grew up in cold winters, remember being bundled up in your snowsuit so that you could barely move ???? Well, it is SO cold here (-35C) that I have the doggie equivilant.

My mini doxie was freezing in just his winter coat. So now to go outside, we put on his felt mitts (with strings so he can't lose them), then his turtleneck sweater (coz he is so long his coat does not cover his tushie) and then his winter coat and his harness over all that. THEN, four Muttluks on the golden. Man, I have to start dressing the "kids" 10 minutes before they have to go pee, and then bundle myself up. But, it is worth it. Valentin had a ball out there tonight playing in the snow, nice and warm, rather than shivering and crying in my arms.

What does everyone else do to keep their 'little ones" warm?

But, I know of a golden chained out to his dog house tonight (and the other 364 days and nights of the year), and I think of all those cats out there tonight, with no where to go to keep warm.

And my guys wonder why mom is giving them extra hugs tonight
Old December 21st, 2004, 09:38 AM

So far Odin is doing quite well in his first winter. But he can't seem to stop eating snow. It seems like he doesn't care if it's -20 outside. He just keeps going.
Old December 21st, 2004, 11:59 AM

It's important to keep in mind that at these extreme cold temps, even if the dog is having a good time, it may not be ok. If the dog is exercising hard you can cause damage to the lungs from the cold air. Best to stay in except for quick trips out for doggy business and to take the edge of energetic dogs. If you open the door and doggy goes the opposite direction they're telling you someting. Old and new doggies will have more trouble with extreme temps.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 04:21 AM
BLIND DOGS RULE!

Cold weather blues

.. and here I thought I was the only idiot who had to spend 10 minutes in front of the door dressing up my dog!

One of my dogs HAS to be dressed in weather like this. I can't even take her for a walk. She shakes, shivers and complains bitterly.

The other dog (a Chow Chow), just loves this! He's quite content to sit outside and roll around in the snow and cold. What a paradox those two are.

Seems like we are in for a few more months of this.
Happy Holidays everyone!

MM

Visit Us Online At:
http://www.chowpei.net]Visit Us Online

Old December 23rd, 2004, 09:48 AM

Phoebe loves the stuff! Yeah, I can see where the Husky part of her heritage comes in now. She runs around the yard with her head down, plowing through the snow. She lies it in, rolls in it, eats it, pounces on it, and flies around the yard at top speed like a complete fool with a huge grin on her face. The only problem is that she has long-ish fur, so by the time she comes back in, she has huge chunks of snow and ice gathered between her toes and along the feathers on her legs.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 02:26 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Windows are open, I'm wearing shorts & Ciara just got a bath..(& earing cleaning, anal gland expression & nail trim)

A front is coming through now but will not get cold until tomorrow.

Rained all morning. I have my Florida weather back...for two days only! ugh...
Old December 23rd, 2004, 02:47 PM

Same story, girls need to pee....Mom needs 10 extra minutes to dress everyone. Whinnie & Boots both have winter jackets & booties. Boo's jacket has a hood to keep her ears warm, since they are very bald. Whinnie is content as long as you take the bandana off her neck and cover her ears. These are my favorite doggy moments, with them all dressed up to play in the snow. Its easier to walk them too, everyone wants to approach cute dogs in jackets, since its harder to tell that they are Pits. Whinnie just loves the attention she gets when she walks down the street. Though lately its been too cold to venture out for more then a quick pee. Now that it is snowing, tonight will be a nice night for a walk, not too cold.
2 Medium Haired All Black Cats:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
"PIT-BULLS ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS......YOU CAN NEVER HAVE JUST ONE"
Old December 23rd, 2004, 11:33 PM
Has got it going on

I must be SUCH a meanie! I just send Sadie out and then make sure to call her back within 5 minutes. My Dad keeps telling me to put her sweater on, but I just cuddle her like crazy and warm her up when she gets back inside. I just know that if I let her out with a sweater on she would get herself all tangled in it. And boots would get lost. So I don't even bother! Poor girl....
Old December 23rd, 2004, 11:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Isn't Sadie short-haired? Den-Den trembles when its 50F, which would be warm for Canada! He goes out the doggie door without a sweater, but I put a sweater on him if we're going to go for a walk. Except for photos on this forum, I've never seen a dog wear boots. But I can see the need for them there.
Old December 24th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Lightbulb Piities in disguise

Winnie-boo

You just hit the nail on the head !!!!! I have seen some light weight jumpsuits/exercise suits (whatever you want to call them) for dogs. Great for your guys outside the cold weather. If they dont look like pitties......... (same theory as when I was a child and my mom would try to hide the califlower in the mashed potatoes) When logic does not work, USE FASHION !!!! If folks see the cute outfits, they will not see what breed of dog is under the cute outfit (such as is happening now with their coats). If you can't dazzle them with brains, baffle them with bull*&#@
Old December 24th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Has got it going on

Sadie is short haired, but her coat is dense and she has a bit of the Pomeranian undercoat thing. It's strange, she has a short haired Pomeranian coat because it's definitely not the slick short coat of the Manchester Terrier (Think Doberman coat).

She shivers when it hits around -20. If not she's generally ok to go out for a couple of minutes to do her business.
Old December 24th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sure she'll let you know if she's cold! Den-Den doesn't mind the cold for short periods, but he's a real wuss when it's raining! Luckily, "it doesn't rain in California"! Hah! Don't know what wrote that song!