Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 6th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Senior Contributor

agression

I have a terrible problem with one of my cats,twice in two years I've had to go to hospital after being attacked with severe bites.It seems my otherwise wonderful cat(male tabby 7yrs old),goes ballistic when he sees another cat outside(from the window).Twice now,he turns into a horrific creature,this time he luckily just got my leg before I closed the door on him.Last summer I was not that lucky,I got deep bite and scratch wounds all over.
He is one of three cats and I love him very much,he's never gotten anything but love and good care,what happens to him?Why does he do this? What do I do? The thought of having him put down,makes me cry.Everyone I know tells me there is only one option.. What do I do? Anita
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Is he neutered?
Old January 6th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes,they are all neutered,have all shots..go outside with supervision.They have all been trained not to jump our fences and seem contended to be outside just for a while...
The problem with Rocky is tearing me apart,I am going to talk to my vet today..but am afraid what the answer will be..
Old January 6th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

What your cat is doing is called "displaced aggression". He wants to attack the outside cats, but cannot - so turns his aggression to whatever is handy - YOU.

I would discuss medication with your vet. He will be able to give your cat something to ease his anxiety. Normally I am not in favour of drugging cats, but if the only other option is euthanasia, I would certainly give it a try!
Old January 6th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you"lucky rescue",I am waiting for a call from my vet and yes,I will give him medication if I have too. He does not show aggression towards any of my other cats or on any other occasions.I could not imagine having him put down,he is big and healthy and I love him very much.He does however also have a spraying-problem in the house,I can live with that,it's washable,alhough I wish he did not do it.
Thank's again,Anita
Old January 6th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Senior Contributor

The spraying and aggression are related to his being a thin-skinned, easily stressed cat - both symptoms of the same problem.

He sees cats outside (probably not neutered) this makes him anxious and insecure. Spraying comforts him because in this way he asserting and confirming that this is HIS territory.

Hopefully the meds will stop this behavior too, as his stress and anxiety ease!

Let us know what the vet says!