Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old February 7th, 2007, 11:43 PM

Homemade diet help

I've been cooking for my dog for two months now and I just wanted to know if anyone knows of a diet that is complete.
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Raw diet!
Even more fun than cooking could ever be

what are you currently cooking up???
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:56 PM

pretty basic

1/3 meat
1/3 veggies
1/3 brown rice or pasta
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:29 AM
-

Yup that's pretty basic, your are right there At least in terms of description anyway

So much depends upon the dog breed or breeds and activity level (which dictates energy needs). So much depends upon the amount cooked & pre-cooked, types of meat and veggies ~ each have their own specific nutrients.

I did a combination of cooked and raw for a number years, and as I am sure others will tell you there is no one "Feed A only" diet. Nonetheless we're here to help ~ so ask away !
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

A complete & balanced meal is something pet food companies have come up with. No diet out there can be perfectly complete & balanced for each animal. Think Balance over time. Dogs also don't need veggies or rice/pasta. They need raw meat, organs and bones. They are carnivores. That said, if you've been feeding what you have for a while, and your pup is doing fine, then continue with what your doing. But there are no magic recipes that are complete & balanced.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Honest Contributor

scott is correct. those are "magical words" coined by the petfood companies to guilt people into buying their artificial diets, cuz we're too stupid to feed our pets right... but yet we feed ourselves and our children just fine without any company's help

balance over time. meat & fish, bones, organs, a smattering of other goodies like eggs, green tripe, maybe some pureed or cooked veggies as treats... it's all dogs need and what they thrive on.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambear View Post
1/3 meat
1/3 veggies
1/3 brown rice or pasta
I've seen things written about homecooking for dogs that is basically broken down like this, and although I agree with the posts that mention dietary balance being achieved over time, the thing that has always confused me about such feeding models is that they don't include bone or any other calcium supplement.

Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats has many recipies for homemade food, but all include a cal. supplement. I use a pre-made base with which to make homemade food, and it too supplements the cal. source.

It's possible that I'm missing something, but it has always been my understanding that the cal : phos ratio in dog food is really important.
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:20 PM

There is so much out ther that you almost don't trust anything anymore. All I can tell you is that I have a breed that many dog lovers have never heard of, he is a maremma sheepdog he is recognized by the American kennel club but not by the Canadian Kennel Club. He is 4 1/2 months is close to 60 lbs and just loves people. infact my wife says he thinks he is a lap dog. We love him to death and that is why we are looking for some advice on food.
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Honest Contributor

oooh i've heard of maremma sheepdogs!! they're like cousins to Great Pyrenees

definitely... such giant breeds need excellent nutrition to grow properly... slow and steady. Lots of meats, bones, raw meaty bones, organ meats, fish, eggs... limit the veggies and please don't feed grains ( or only feed as treats ).

can we see photos of your pup? i'm sure he's

Old February 8th, 2007, 11:42 PM

Wow someone who actually knows what a Maremma Sheepdog is. So you really think I should try feeding him raw also?:king: By bthe way his name is Bear.
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I'd reccomend raw for any breed! I have 2 Rottie mixes and a Cocker spaniel eating raw right now, and they are doing wonderful. It really makes a change in your dog, the energy is amazing, doggie odor has gone down alot here, teeth look like puppy teeth now, no more smelly breath and best part of all... MINIMAL SHEDDING shiny coats too .... man I could go on about the benifits I've noticed on raw
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Honest Contributor

yeah... definitely take a serious look at feeding raw, it's much less work than a homecooked diet, the balances are just right, no fuss and no muss... no headaches and your dog will grow up to be a huge healthy BEAR!

Old February 9th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Okay so what is a grat Diet and is it good to mix it up a bit, like raw and cooked with no store bought garbage at all. Give me some suggestions and thanks in advance to all.
Old February 9th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Honest Contributor

if you cruise the posts on this sub-forum you will get great "how to's", recipes, see photos of dogs eating raw, etc.

some good reading: http://rawfed.com/myths/ and there are some links at the bottom of the page