Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old April 26th, 2010, 11:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I've got two up, too, klm...no luck here, either but within the week I should have some takers

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 28th, 2010, 06:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Random April 27 photos

The Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers bang on the power poles and on the metal supports at the top (that gray 'beam' on the right-hand edge of the image is the metal plate). The male starts (you can see him in the back, drumming his romantic tune on the metal plate) as the female (to the left in front) comes over and listens to the concert. You can see that the music took a turn to the seriously romantic serenade in the second shot--notice her crest.

"Oooooo la la!!!"

Name:  Yellow-breasted sapsuckers courting 4-27-10 B.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  Yellow-breasted sapsuckers courting 4-27-10 A.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  44.0 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 28th, 2010, 06:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

A male brown-headed cowbird displays from the spruce (what is it with black birds and hiding in evergreens here? ). He let me get pretty close, though, so he does (sort of) show up even though he's in the shade.

He puffs up and makes his sexy bubble-screech call. No females arrived to admire his prowess, however.

Name:  Brown-headed cowbird 4-27-10 B.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  Brown-headed cowbird 4-27-10.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  55.1 KB

Old April 28th, 2010, 06:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The red-winged blackbird came out of the hemlock and spent some time in the sun yesterday, but at first he wouldn't look at me

Name:  Red-winged blackbird 4-27-10 B.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  75.3 KB

and when he finally did look, he hid his epaulets

Name:  Red-winged blackbird 4-27-10 A.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  54.7 KB

Got a nice abstract of a red-winged blackbird in flight, though!

Name:  Red-winged blackbird in flight 4-27-10.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  56.9 KB

Old April 28th, 2010, 06:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Doesn't this first shot look like a painting? American goldfinch male:

Name:  Goldfinch 4-27-10.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  56.9 KB

This one, too. This is what happens when you close crop a slightly-out-of-focus digital image. Red-breasted nuthatch:

Name:  Red-breasted nuthatch 4-27-10.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  56.8 KB

And an in-focus and obliging Chipping Sparrow, singing his heart out:

Name:  Chipping sparrow singing 4-27-10 A.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  58.9 KB

Old April 28th, 2010, 06:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Mama robin is getting used to madame hazel's presence:

Name:  Robin fem 4-27-10.jpg
Size:  91.4 KB

As is Papa bluebird:

Name:  Bluebird male 4-27-10 C.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  Bluebird male 4-27-10 D.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  40.5 KB

Old April 28th, 2010, 06:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The bluebirds are checking out the house the in-laws provide for them:

"This one looks good!"
Name:  Bluebird at the house 4-27-10.jpg
Size:  29.4 KB

"Come check it out, Mama!"
Name:  Bluebird at the house 4-27-10 B.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  26.4 KB

"What do you think?"
Name:  Bluebird at the house 4-27-10 C.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  26.1 KB

Old April 28th, 2010, 06:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And finally, three shots of the same male Yellow-rumped Warbler:

Name:  Yellow-rumped warbler 4-27-10.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  Yellow-rumped warbler 4-27-10 B.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  Yellow-rumped warbler 4-27-10 C.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  38.5 KB

Warblers are hazel's favorites. Looks like the trees are going to be all leafed out by the time most of the warbler species migrate through, though

Old April 29th, 2010, 01:54 PM
-

The Yellow Bellied Sapsucker female sure seems to like that tune Hazel, she looks delightfully surprised.......I can't recall seeing the Yellow-rumped Warbler around here unfortunately

Still no takers on the Bluebird house, the Tree Swallows did check it out but have gone on to using the same one as always.....to date no other birds are checking any of the other houses out. Hopefully it is just that this cold snap that is keeping them a bit further south.

I'm not getting too many birds at the feeders either....I have been weaning them a bit as I don't usually have the feeders going in the warm summer months. There was a Mr and Mrs Cardinal around them earlier today, he is a complete slave, picking up seed and feeding her....real cute.
Old April 29th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Mickey, my angel

Beautiful pictures! A pair of yellow bellied sapsuckers just left about three days ago after making their annual visit to my yard. They came a bit earlier then usual this year, likely due to the early warm weather but have been coming through here for at least 6 years now and stick around for about two weeks. Our poor old birch tree (the reason for their attraction to my yard) bears many scars from their annual visits. I am assuming it is the same pair each year [(always just the two (a male and a female)]. Each year I wonder if they'll be back but for several years they have returned each spring before moving on to wherever they go to spend the summer. Does anyone have any idea what the possible lifespan of these birds could be?
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old April 29th, 2010, 07:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'd expect maybe 6 - 10 years, mikischo. Maybe longer. Even really little birds have surprisingly long lives if they can avoid predators. I know the hummers that come back are often from the previous year--they recognize me. Any new birds that just tag along are a lot less tolerant of ol' hazel.

Old April 29th, 2010, 09:27 PM
You can call me DOG!

Amazing!!!

My MIL sent me this link this morning and me and my co-workers are now hooked.

She (MIL) witnessed the hatching of an eaglet this morning but then we witnessed a feeding this afternoon. Talk about a Truman Story!

This is a real live feed of a bald headed eagle's nest with 3 eggs on Hornby Island in BC. It's getting a little dusky there now but this is truly amazing to watch!

http://www.hornbyeagles.com/webcam.htm

Enjoy!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 29th, 2010, 09:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, that is so cool, klm!!!! She was tucking baby in tenderly

Old April 29th, 2010, 09:47 PM
You can call me DOG!

Not sure if they have the camera at different angles. All day today, it was a real close up "birds eye view" of the nest!

It looks like they update the main page throughout the night if any changes occur however; everyone has to sit and wait patiently until day break.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Dang, I don't think I could sit there for so long like they do! Without even a book to read!

Isn't their patience amazing? So much fun watching them. Another feeding even as I type

Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yum! More sushi

Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Hmmmm. Imagine that! madame hazel has been busy with the camera again

Let me know when you want me to stop

The weather has been pretty gloomy, with an occasional sunny day in between.

The black-capped chickadees came out and posed a bit on one of the sunny ones.

Name:  Black-capped chickadee 5-1-10 A.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  Black-capped chickadee 5-1-10 B.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  54.4 KB

Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The blue jays were skulking in the bushes that day, too:

Name:  Blue jay 5-3-10.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  Blue jay in the bushes 5-1-10.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  59.1 KB

Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

There are still a fair number of American Goldfinches around.

The females are pretty drab and not unwilling to talk to the neighbors:

Name:  Downy woodpecker and goldfinch sharing the red maple 5-3-10.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  86.6 KB

The males are more interested in hanging around with the guys and talking about the cute chicks :

Name:  Goldfinches at the feeder 4-30-10.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  96.5 KB

This male was in the pine just off the deck, stretching his wings, legs, and tail.

Name:  Goldfinch in the pine 4-28-10.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  73.3 KB

Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Warning: snake from a distance

I managed to catch this broad-winged hawk as it flew over the house. I thought it was carrying nesting material, but when I zoomed in it looks more like the bird has just killed a snake and bringing it back to the nest to feed hawklets.

Name:  Hawk with snake 5-1-10 B.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  16.7 KB

Name:  Hawk with snake 5-1-10 A.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  18.0 KB

This robin was hunting for tidbits but noticed the hawk overhead right away.

Name:  Robin 4-28-10.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  86.1 KB

Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The mourning doves always enjoy the sun when they can get it.

Name:  Mourning doves 5-1-10 A.jpg
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  Mourning doves 5-1-10 B.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  77.9 KB

The purple finches are singing some really lovely tunes, but they've all moved way up in the top of the oaks and it's really difficult to get a picture of them now! So much easier to photograph them in winter when they stay lower.

Name:  Purple finch surveying his domain from the tree tops 5-3-10.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  37.5 KB

Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Another new arrival passing through is the ruby-crowned kinglet. They're small, drab, fast and cute as the dickens. Very difficult to photograph...took me two weeks to get these two almost decent shots:

Name:  Ruby-crowned kinglet 4-29-10 A.jpg
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  Ruby-crowned kinglet 4-29-10 B.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  96.0 KB

Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The thickets are crawling with Chipping Sparrows this year! I counted 4 couples at one feeder and 2 more pair at another! So that makes at least 6 possible Chipping Sparrow families this year!

Name:  Chipping sparrow and oak blossoms 4-30-10 B.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  74.6 KB

Name:  Chipping sparrow in spruce 4-28-10.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  Chipping sparrow in the pine 5-3-10.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  101.7 KB

Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The Song Sparrows, while not as numerous, are singing up a storm every morning

Name:  Song sparrow singing 4-30-10.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:  Song sparrow on the spruce 5-3-10 A.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  48.5 KB

Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The White-throated Sparrows are passing through, too. I hear them more than I see them, though. They're playing hard to get at our house, but they come right out in the open at the in-laws' place. Go figure

I suppose it could be the 8 Nudniks on the prowl along the fences here

Name:  White-throated sparrow 4-28-10 A.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  101.9 KB

Name:  White-throated sparrow 4-28-10 B.jpg
Size:  99.4 KB

Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And finally, some warblers to share. These first three are of a Yellow-rumped warbler showing off his back, front and side views

Name:  Yellow-rumped warbler 4-29-10 A.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  Yellow-rumped warbler 4-29-10 B.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  Yellow-rumped warbler 4-29-10 D.jpg
Size:  52.3 KB

Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

You can see why they're also referred to as butter butts.
Name:  Yellow-rumped warbler 4-29-10 C.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  56.8 KB

And finally, a rather poor pic of our resident male blue-winged warbler, taken from the deck, over the fence and 85 feet away... It's blurry, but you can see the black beak, white wing bars, part of the black eye-stripe, the blue-ish wings, green back and bright yellow head:
Name:  Blue-winged warbler 5-3-10.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  62.2 KB

I haven't seen the female yet, but he's staking out the same territory out back in the meadow-in-the-woods that he used last year! I'm hoping I can get a better shot this year, but they're pretty secretive.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:34 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Let me know when you want me to stop
Never! Your photographs are as beautiful as they are fascinating. Thank you so much Hazel for sharing with us .
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

You're welcome Good thing you're not tired of pics yet, cuz madame hazel will not relinquish control of the shutter release, no matter how hard we try to take it!

Old May 4th, 2010, 08:35 AM

Hazel, I love your bird pictures, don't stop. Your pictures are helping me identify some of the birds I see. I took pictures of a sparrow at the dog park and after seeing your pictures I think it was a chipping sparrow. Okay, the last crittter isn't technically a bird, but it did fly up that tree in a hurry getting away from Sunshine
Attached Images

Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-