Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 1st, 2011, 10:38 AM

Help! My dog wakes my up in the middle of the night

Hi all,

Recently, my dog has develop this habit of waking me up in the middle of the night. He would whine if I try to go back to sleep. At first I thought he had to go out to pee/poo but that didn't stop him from whining. I haven't had a good nite rest for the past week. Any suggestions as to how I can break this habit? Thanks in Advance

Milopoo
Old December 1st, 2011, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Milopoo, first of all, how old is your dog and what type of dog is it? Where does he sleep, on a dog bed in your room? In your bed? Is it possible he's hungry? Just curious, he sounds like he may be lonely and if it's possible letting him on your bed may be the solution to keep him happy all night. It's very important not to make a big deal and give him too much attention if he wakes you up though or else he'll think it's a great idea.
Old December 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM

Digby does the same thing if he doesn't get enough excercise during the day. Its like he gets bored. If I let him outside he just walks around and eats grass, or does something else thats equally trivial. His late night antics have been put to rest by playing ball just before its bedtime.
Hope your fix is as easy as mine was
Old December 1st, 2011, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Sasha tries this with me too. When she first did this about 5 yrs ago I figured that she had to go out and potty, it became a habit for her getting up at 3 am and going out. I decided that enough is enough she goes out before bedtime and should not have to get up in the middle of the night. She has always slept in bed with me/us. I just closed the door holding her in the room and listened to her cry, whine, bark, finally after a few nights she got the message and will rarely asks to go out in the night now. If she does want out in the night I will think back to what she may have eaten during the day and decide then whether she really needs to go or justs wants to go..... patti
Old December 1st, 2011, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Halo actually got into the habit of wanting out every time I rolled over at night while Shadow was sick because I would get Shadow up to put her out but the only way to get her stand up at night was to offer her a jerky treat. So both dogs got a treat to go outside in the middle of the night. What a good deal! Halo thought that may carry on after Shadow was gone, but I just ignored her a couple nights - or put her out with no fuss and no treats - and she gave that up pretty quick.