Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 21st, 2009, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Sasha has turned very NEEDY

I was away for 2 weeks, I left Sasha with a boarder, not in a kennel but in a home. She was with a family they have a male dog whom she got along with really well, since I got home she will sit and stare at me and want my attention all of the time. I work 9 - 5 and have a dog walker that comes in around lunch time, takes Sash for a walk, plays with her etc.

Why is she being so needy lately?

Note: when I come home I take her for a walk and play with her so I don't understand why she has become so needy. What can I do to make her feel like I am not going away, and I am not leaving her? Any help will be sooo welcome.
Old February 21st, 2009, 08:42 PM
Senior Contributor

pbpatti, as far as I know, it's best to try and keep things as "normal" as possible. It's going to take some time for Sasha to get back into her groove with you after a bit of a disruption. Keeping things normal, regular routine, will signal that everything is OK in your world and hers. Alot of extra attention, treats, etc. might signal that something is wrong and make her worried.
She might be extra needy just looking for reassurance.
I think a little time might just take care of this.
Hugs to you both
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old February 21st, 2009, 08:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Otter, thanks, it is just that she has never been like this. Seems to have to be with me, kissing me, lots of those, my face is going to shrivel up. lol, I guess it will just take time for her to understand that I am here to stay.
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:07 PM

Sounds like Sasha just missed you lots and wants to know that it won't happen again any time soon....

Back to your regular routine....not a lot of extra pampering...well..maybe an extra treat or two Hopefully within a day or two Sasha will be back to herself...however, those extra kisses you are getting are a good thing!!!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:20 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks for your replys, I have been back now for almost 2 weeks so I thought that she would settle down but there is no sign of it happening...yet.. she is here sitting staring at me...like do something mom, take me somewhere...? so I tell her yup she's a good girl, give her a rub and then say...BUG OFF..only kidding, I still love her to bitsss.
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:26 PM

Sounds like Sasha is pulling at your heart strings! Smart girl knows how to get your attention!

Hopefully she will realize soon that you aren't going anywhere. Is she eating/drinking/sleeping/pooping etc as normal?

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:37 PM
Catlover2

Treadmill useful for exercise

What a lovely dog. A lot of Sasha's energy could be drained off if trained to walk and run on a treadmill, especially if you don't have the time to take her out on long walks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2AfN...eature=related
Old February 21st, 2009, 11:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She'll come around again--she likely just stressed out a bit cuz her mom disappeared for a while and she's remembering that her daddy didn't come home the last time. :sad: It's sometimes amazing how much cogitation goes on in those canine heads.

An increase in exercise might help--not a huge increase, just maybe some extra play with toys and a slightly longer walk. Eventually she'll accept that she's back in the old routine and start settling in again

Give sweet Sasha an extra pat from ol' hazel, k, patti?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterBoo View Post
Sounds like Sasha is pulling at your heart strings! Smart girl knows how to get your attention!

Hopefully she will realize soon that you aren't going anywhere. Is she eating/drinking/sleeping/pooping etc as normal?
I think you got it right, just pulling at my heartstrings, she has no other changes but the constant attention that she is demanding..lol
Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post

An increase in exercise might help--not a huge increase, just maybe some extra play with toys and a slightly longer walk. Eventually she'll accept that she's back in the old routine and start settling in again

Give sweet Sasha an extra pat from ol' hazel, k, patti?
for sure I will give her your hugs and kisses Hazel.. since the weather has been a little better (except today, it's snowing ughh) we have had longer walks and more play time. I guess that she is just taking her time getting used to the fact that I am not leaving. thank you all for your replies.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Funny, I thought the same thing as hazel. Scary!! I thought maybe she was remembering Daddy leaving and not coming back. She could just be looking for reassurance that you aren't going anywhere. Probably a little extra spoiling will do that trick.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Funny, I thought the same thing as hazel. Scary!!
So I take it that this isn't a 'great minds think alike' moment?

Patti, is there a doggy daycare in your area? I wonder if she wouldn't benefit from some canine company away from home now and then? She'd associate a fun time with something away from Mom and maybe that would help her adjust to having you away at work again?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you all for your help with this, I think I was being a worry wart, I took your advice and did the ignore, more play, lots of loving and today she seems to be doing much better. At least I can sit here tonight and she is not staring at me, asking "more,more,more" mememememe. Seems that dogs do remember past events though. I really believe that she did not see me coming back and when I did she did not want to let me out of her sight. Sasha is settling in again and being almost her normal self. Thank you.
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Patti, is there a doggy daycare in your area? I wonder if she wouldn't benefit from some canine company away from home now and then? She'd associate a fun time with something away from Mom and maybe that would help her adjust to having you away at work again?
I thought about the daycare idea last year after Hugh left us, I took her for a trial visit and she did not do well at all, mind you that was a year ago. She was all bugged eyed and not comfortable at all so I have not tried again. I do have a lady that comes in every day and gives her lunch and takes her for a walk and then of course we got to have some ball play time. Sasha and her "playdate" get along really well.
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:21 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

That is great to hear!!! Sasha sure is lucky to have such an understanding Mom!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
That is great to hear!!! Sasha sure is lucky to have such an understanding Mom!
is it understanding or a worryer? anyway, she seems to be getting into the routine again. thank dog.
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Understanding, of course!
Good to hear things are slowly returning to "normal". I think giving it some time was the perfect cure in this case.
Next time i'm sure it won't be quite so bad, she now knows that she can expect things to return to normal and maybe won't be so affected by your leaving.
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Understanding, of course!
Good to hear things are slowly returning to "normal". I think giving it some time was the perfect cure in this case.
Next time i'm sure it won't be quite so bad, she now knows that she can expect things to return to normal and maybe won't be so affected by your leaving.
I think since she has always had someone around that the little will always be needy when I go and come back again, hopefully she will begin to understand that yes I WILL COME BACK. of course God willing.
Old February 25th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Glad to here Sasha is getting back to her self again patti.

and where are some pictures to show off your beautiful Sasha??? hummmmmmm nudge nudge nudge. it's been a while you know..