Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old February 28th, 2011, 06:03 PM

Husky that doesn't whine, never has

I can't find information on this on line so was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have a female husky, one year old, she's the sweetest thing but seems like she might have some neurological problems. Sometimes she seems to have a hard time eating (comes and goes) and she has never whined. She does what I think is husky singing, which is this cool high pitched cooing kind of sound but its rare. The problem is she doesn't communicate when she needs to go outside like every dog I've ever owned has. She is housebroken but if I don't GUESS when she needs to go accurately, she'll end up going in the house. It's rare that this happens but it's frustrating when she has an accident. She probably goes to the door but I don't notice until it's too late.

Anyone ever hear of a dog that never whined? My other husky is 3/4 husky, 1/4 Rott and he has no problem whining.

I bought some jingle bells to put on the door, am hoping to train her to nudge the bells if she needs out.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old February 28th, 2011, 06:30 PM

The bells on the door may be a good approach. My huskies don't often "ask" to go outside. I just take them on a regular schedule and they can hold it until then. But on occasion if they really have to go, they will paw at the door.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "whine". I don't think that either of my dogs whine, nor did my past dog. My one husky is very 'talkative', especially when he wants to play. It's more of a "ooooooooooh".
My other husky can go weeks at a time without saying anything, and then sometimes he's got a loud "ra ra ra" (normally when he's hungry ).

Also, what do you mean by having a hard time eating? Do you mean a hard time chewing, or just that she doesn't want to eat? I would start by doing a thorough examination of her mouth to ensure there are no signs of tooth decay or gum disease that may be causing her pain.

If that's not the case, then perhaps she's just not that interest in food, which is how my Jasper is. He's not food motivated, and if he's not hungry, he simply won't eat. I also went through a couple different foods and treats when he was younger until I finally discovered he doesn't like fish. So perhaps your dog just doesn't particularly like the taste of the food she's currently on?

Good luck. It doesn't really sound neurological to me, it just sounds like she has her own personality.

There's quite a few members on here with more experience and advice than what I can give. I just thought I'd pass along a few things to think about, since I have huskies as well.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:48 PM

I'm not that familiar with huskies so I don't know any particulars about them, but she may be asking you to go out in a much more subtle way. My boy doesn't often ask to go out, and will only whine to go out if he is not feeling well. If he does ask to go out, all he does is make eye contact with me and then look in the direction of the door (he also does this if asking permission to get on furniture, only looking at the furniture instead).

To avoid accidents, maybe start her on a toileting schedule (we do that for people who are unable to toilet themselves but are not incontinent generally and it is very helpful).