Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:43 PM
elisabeth_85's Avatar
elisabeth_85 elisabeth_85 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 39
Your personal RESCUES - From this.. to this..

My sister rescued a pug x spitz x bulldogge mix about 7 months ago.

She was VERY shy, timid and was scared of everything. She has come a long way since then. We have been working with her everyday on these issues.

We have come to find out that she is extremely smart, willing to please and loves agility! We enrolled her in a beginners course and can't wait for that to start up in September.

Here are some from this.. to this.. photo's.

Senna at her old "home".




Senna in her forever home.














*Please share your photo's and stories of the rescues in your life.

I volunteer for a cat rescue in my area and hear so many wonderful things all the time, it's a rewarding thing to bring these creatures into your life.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old August 1st, 2009, 12:07 AM
Shaykeija's Avatar
Shaykeija Shaykeija is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,581
Very nice...it is so nice to see their real personalities come out.
__________________
The more I get to know people, the more I love my dog...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 1st, 2009, 01:50 AM
rainbow's Avatar
rainbow rainbow is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful BC's Kootenay Country
Posts: 34,757
WOW .....she's come a long way from hiding in a closet.

And, she's cute as a button.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old August 1st, 2009, 01:59 AM
Tundra_Queen's Avatar
Tundra_Queen Tundra_Queen is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 5,603
She looks so happy now! U did a wonderful thing!
__________________
~Friendship is like a bank account. You can't continue to draw on it without making deposits~


~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:09 AM
14+kitties's Avatar
14+kitties 14+kitties is offline
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MYOB
Posts: 15,408
She doesn't even look like the same dog. Good job sis!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:17 AM
CearaQC's Avatar
CearaQC CearaQC is offline
Garden nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Great White North
Posts: 1,511
Here's Sandy the night I went to pick her up in November 2007 from the go-between so the former owners wouldn't know where Sandy was going after they signed the surrender form. I found out for sure that night she was pregnant since that was the first time I got to see Sandy and as she laid down her belly moved a lot because the puppies were very active.

No one knew that she was pregnant and they thought the owners were feeding her more because she looked like she was gaining weight.

She was absolutely filthy & stinky and her coat felt like straw. She was very malnourished and skinny despite being pregnant. The week before I went to get her she was stuck outside in an almost hurricane-like storm with no dog shelter and was tied to a tree with a short rope, or so we were told by those who facilitated the surrender. But I definitely remember the storm because it shook the house and rattled the windows. It was very scary being indoors during that storm. I can only imagine what Sandy must have suffered being outside.



Then 8 days later, 10 puppies arrived. I hand fed the pups mostly with a vet recommended recipe but also let them suckle mom so they could get their immunities. And mom got to eat tons of good raw food to try to fatten her back up and provide enough milk to supplement what I was feeding them. Sandy was a great mom. Never complained during the labor/delivery and never hesitated with the pups and knew exactly what to do. I was the nervous one but she sailed right through it. All puppies survived but the vet originally said I should put half the litter to sleep and I refused. Sheeba is in the video there somewhere. lol She had a black brother but Sheeba was a bit more chunky than her brother.

A couple pups were adopted locally but the good people at Rosies in Montreal helped me with the rest. And of course we kept Sheeba. But I definitely know all the pups were treated well. I don't know who fostered the pups and suspect one or two might be members of this forum but I don't know for sure. I thank everyone involved for all their help and will never forget.

My wish though is to see a photo update of the brindle female and how her coat turned out. Does she still have the stripes? Did she turn furry like Sheeba and Max or is she short coat like Buddy?



Now Sandy's happy that she gets to live inside, eat regular meals, sleep on a couch and go for walks in the woods. But she hates storms, rain and wet grass. She loves being combed and brushed.



__________________
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:26 AM
14+kitties's Avatar
14+kitties 14+kitties is offline
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MYOB
Posts: 15,408
Awww Ceara.... . I had just joined the forum when you were going through the puppy raising part. I loved going and reading about all the adventures in Puppyland. What a time for you! Sandy sure lucked out in finding you!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:45 AM
chico2's Avatar
chico2 chico2 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 26,591
Ceara,I don't think I ever saw the puppy-video,they had me laughing out loud,11 chubby little puppies,you and Sandy did a wonderful job
I am so happy for Sandy,who now has a wonderful life thank's to you
__________________
"The cruelest animal is the Human animal"
3 kitties,Rocky(r.i.p my boy),Chico,Vinnie
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 1st, 2009, 08:01 AM
edwina's Avatar
edwina edwina is offline
Slave to the Kitties
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 855
Elisabeth 85, your sisters pup is a cutie.

CearaQC, such a lovely sandy and the puppies are so cute
What is it about golden retriever/blonde lab puppies that makes you just want to eat them up ? We need a puppy and kitten squishing smiley
__________________
My Furbabies - Salem, Pansy, Viola, Tater Bug, Squirt, Sparky, Gabby, Sheba, Hoppy

Bear 1994-2010 Oggie 1996-2011 Sis 1996-2012
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old August 1st, 2009, 09:18 AM
cpietra16's Avatar
cpietra16 cpietra16 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pointe Claire, Quebec
Posts: 3,926
I like to show off my guys too....from this to this....moments
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old August 1st, 2009, 09:26 AM
cpietra16's Avatar
cpietra16 cpietra16 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pointe Claire, Quebec
Posts: 3,926
...and this is Antonio....
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:21 AM
Frenchy's Avatar
Frenchy Frenchy is offline
-
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Quebec
Posts: 30,227
What a cutie Senna is !!! She looks in heaven at your sister's place

I would be too , just look at that backyard !

My guys all are rescues :

-Bailey came from pound
-Daisy came from SPCA :sad:
-Sam came from a pound , as a foster :sad:
-Nelly came from an SPCA puppy mill seizure , as a foster too ,she's the one that needed the most help , at 72 lbs back then , she's now a healthy 100 lbs
-Chloé was an owner surrender at 11 years old , came here as a foster for ... about 24 hours before I decided to keep her all for myself !! :sad:

-Monsieur le chat , Paddington , Coco and Puce were all adopted from Badger , a member here that takes in strays , gets them all vetted , neutered and vaccinated. Puce is now in heaven at 14+'s Hilton

I won't mention the others , that came and went as fosters because there's too many , but all wonderful dogs
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:42 AM
CearaQC's Avatar
CearaQC CearaQC is offline
Garden nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Great White North
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
I like to show off my guys too....from this to this....moments
Awww dirty terrified kitties!:sad:

Thanks to you they are doing great now!
__________________
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:51 AM
kiara's Avatar
kiara kiara is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 405
She sure is gorgeous! Love happy endings stories. You are both lucky!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old August 1st, 2009, 03:13 PM
elisabeth_85's Avatar
elisabeth_85 elisabeth_85 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 39
Wow.. look at those kitties!

What a transformation! Great work!

**That is actually my parents place in the pictures, my sister and I live together in a 3 bedroom condo as we are students who live away from home.

All the critters really enjoy the yard when we visit, especially the pool!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:05 PM
14+kitties's Avatar
14+kitties 14+kitties is offline
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MYOB
Posts: 15,408
Great job cpietra!! Love seeing the transformations with the kitties. They are happy and content with you for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
My guys all are rescues :
-Bailey came from pound
-Daisy came from SPCA :sad:
-Sam came from a pound , as a foster :sad:
-Nelly came from an SPCA puppy mill seizure , as a foster too ,she's the one that needed the most help , at 72 lbs back then , she's now a healthy 100 lbs
-Chloé was an owner surrender at 11 years old , came here as a foster for ... about 24 hours before I decided to keep her all for myself !! :sad:

-Monsieur le chat , Paddington , Coco and Puce were all adopted from Badger , a member here that takes in strays , gets them all vetted , neutered and vaccinated. Puce is now in heaven at 14+'s Hilton

I won't mention the others , that came and went as fosters because there's too many , but all wonderful dogs
You do such a wonderful job with your fosters and your pups and kits that are lucky enough to be adopted by you.
Puce is enjoying being at *The Hilton* and has been renamed Duece. (and has been busy collecting a bit of a harem.)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:32 PM
Tundra_Queen's Avatar
Tundra_Queen Tundra_Queen is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 5,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
She doesn't even look like the same dog. Good job sis!!
elisabeth_85 is your sister?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
Here's Sandy the night I went to pick her up in November 2007 from the go-between so the former owners wouldn't know where Sandy was going after they signed the surrender form. I found out for sure that night she was pregnant since that was the first time I got to see Sandy and as she laid down her belly moved a lot because the puppies were very active.

No one knew that she was pregnant and they thought the owners were feeding her more because she looked like she was gaining weight.

She was absolutely filthy & stinky and her coat felt like straw. She was very malnourished and skinny despite being pregnant. The week before I went to get her she was stuck outside in an almost hurricane-like storm with no dog shelter and was tied to a tree with a short rope, or so we were told by those who facilitated the surrender. But I definitely remember the storm because it shook the house and rattled the windows. It was very scary being indoors during that storm. I can only imagine what Sandy must have suffered being outside.

Then 8 days later, 10 puppies arrived. I hand fed the pups mostly with a vet recommended recipe but also let them suckle mom so they could get their immunities. And mom got to eat tons of good raw food to try to fatten her back up and provide enough milk to supplement what I was feeding them. Sandy was a great mom. Never complained during the labor/delivery and never hesitated with the pups and knew exactly what to do. I was the nervous one but she sailed right through it. All puppies survived but the vet originally said I should put half the litter to sleep and I refused. Sheeba is in the video there somewhere. lol She had a black brother but Sheeba was a bit more chunky than her brother.

A couple pups were adopted locally but the good people at Rosies in Montreal helped me with the rest. And of course we kept Sheeba. But I definitely know all the pups were treated well. I don't know who fostered the pups and suspect one or two might be members of this forum but I don't know for sure. I thank everyone involved for all their help and will never forget.

My wish though is to see a photo update of the brindle female and how her coat turned out. Does she still have the stripes? Did she turn furry like Sheeba and Max or is she short coat like Buddy?

Now Sandy's happy that she gets to live inside, eat regular meals, sleep on a couch and go for walks in the woods. But she hates storms, rain and wet grass. She loves being combed and brushed.



I love the puppy video and the music u used was perfect!
All those puppies following sandy around and feeding while she is standing up and yawning was priceless!

Debbie
__________________
~Friendship is like a bank account. You can't continue to draw on it without making deposits~


~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:38 PM
14+kitties's Avatar
14+kitties 14+kitties is offline
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MYOB
Posts: 15,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
elisabeth_85 is your sister?Debbie
No, I meant good job Elisabeth's sis. Sorry for confusion.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:44 PM
Frenchy's Avatar
Frenchy Frenchy is offline
-
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Quebec
Posts: 30,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
has been renamed Duece. (and has been busy collecting a bit of a harem.)


Really ? a harem ???? ohhhhhh I'm so proud of him !!!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:47 PM
14+kitties's Avatar
14+kitties 14+kitties is offline
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MYOB
Posts: 15,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post


Really ? a harem ???? ohhhhhh I'm so proud of him !!!
Yep, I gave them their treats tonight. After they ate them he laid down and within two minutes had three of the girls surrounding him. One of them was Ms Attitude! He is such a Romeo! And.. he loves loves loves fresh cat nip!!!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old August 1st, 2009, 08:29 PM
Love4himies's Avatar
Love4himies Love4himies is offline
Rescue is my fav. breed
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boating in the 1000 Islands
Posts: 17,769
OMG, cpietra, I remember seeing that pic of that poor kitty (the one in the litter box, I new about Antonio), I didn't know it was yours
__________________
Cat maid to:

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old August 1st, 2009, 08:47 PM
Love4himies's Avatar
Love4himies Love4himies is offline
Rescue is my fav. breed
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boating in the 1000 Islands
Posts: 17,769
just keep checking for Nelly pics , frenchy.
__________________
Cat maid to:

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old August 2nd, 2009, 07:25 AM
chico2's Avatar
chico2 chico2 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 26,591
cpietra,I'll never forget you rushing to get Tess,who had been deemed too old for adoption and was going to be killed

Frenchy, I'll also never forget how Nelly who came from a terrible situation ended up being the nurse-maid for all your pups and kitties

14+,I am sooo happy for Deuce,he probably think's he's in heaven,with all those beautiful girls
__________________
"The cruelest animal is the Human animal"
3 kitties,Rocky(r.i.p my boy),Chico,Vinnie
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Frenchy's Avatar
Frenchy Frenchy is offline
-
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Quebec
Posts: 30,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
just keep checking for Nelly pics , frenchy.
oh yea right , pics they were taking with my other crappy cam so they're not too good , this is when Nelly got here.
Attached Images
   
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Frenchy's Avatar
Frenchy Frenchy is offline
-
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Quebec
Posts: 30,227
To this , a healthy , loving dog !
Attached Images
   
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
Frenchy's Avatar
Frenchy Frenchy is offline
-
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Quebec
Posts: 30,227
sorry , I didn't know which pics to post so ...
Attached Images
   
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
rainbow's Avatar
rainbow rainbow is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful BC's Kootenay Country
Posts: 34,757
CearaQ, I remember when you first rescued Sandy all the wonderful care you gave her. I loved the video too.

cpietra, what an amazing difference in those kitties ....what great work you have done.

Frenchy, you are another amazing person with your rescues ......Nelly went from skin and bone to a beautiful happy girl. Love the pics.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
edwina's Avatar
edwina edwina is offline
Slave to the Kitties
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 855
Well i would be here all day putting up pics of my rescues over the years , i havent gotten any cats any other way. But here is a list :
Frosty - rescued from my sister at the age of 3 - 16 yrs
Muffin - kitten of a stray- 18yrs
Mew - kitten of stray - 17 yrs
Blacky, stripey cheetah pet, sis - kittens of neighbors cat - 9yrs ,11 yrs, 13yrs old now
Baby - stray - 13 yrs
Tigger - kitten of neighbors cat - 13 yrs
Oggie, Booger - kittens of Baby - 13yrs old now, 3yrs
Junior - kitten of Blacky - 7yrs
Mommy Kitty Girl - stray - approx. 9 yrs
Bear - kitten of MKG - 15 yrs old now
Backy - kitten of stray - 3yrs old now
Viola & Pansy - kittens of stray - approx. 4 yrs old now
Salem - kitten of Pansy - 3 yrs old now
Squirt - kitten of stray - 3 yrs old now
Sparky - kitten of stray - over 1 yr old now
Tater Bug - kitten of Backy - 1 yr old this month
Freckles - stray - ? age
Many kittens given to forever homes
And a few kittens that i couldnt save but tried - Red 7 mons, Rusty 4 mons, Little Freck 10 mons.
I have helped some others over the years, but there are too many to list.
__________________
My Furbabies - Salem, Pansy, Viola, Tater Bug, Squirt, Sparky, Gabby, Sheba, Hoppy

Bear 1994-2010 Oggie 1996-2011 Sis 1996-2012
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Love4himies's Avatar
Love4himies Love4himies is offline
Rescue is my fav. breed
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boating in the 1000 Islands
Posts: 17,769
Awwww, Nelly pics, I can't believe how far she has come in your care, Frenchy
__________________
Cat maid to:

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
rainbow's Avatar
rainbow rainbow is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful BC's Kootenay Country
Posts: 34,757
WOW that's quite a list of rescues, edwina ....you are a kitty angel for sure.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.