Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 16th, 2003, 10:38 AM

How do I get my dog to stop licking so much

Hello. I'm new to this, so if I make a mistake I'm sorry. My question is this:I have a pit bull. He's constantly licking people and my other dogs. How do I get him to stop his licking. He's a very friendly dog. When we took him to the vet, she said it's normal. My other dogs don't do that. So if anyone has any suggestions for me, please let me know.
Thank You.
Old November 16th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a pit bull too - they are usually big-time lickers! They are also lap dogs (mine is, even at 70 lbs)

If the licking is out of hand, I might suggest this: Have a treat or toy in your hand.

Let him lick for a few seconds, then say "ENOUGH!" loudly enough to startle him so the licking stops.

The instant he stops, and looks at you, stuff the treat or toy in his mouth and praise him.

With the other dogs, leave his leash on and let him drag it. If he starts licking them, pick up the leash, give a SMALL correction (just enough to get his attention) and use the "Enough!" and treat.

Eventually, just the word "enough" spoken normally should stop him.

Is he a puppy? What other dogs do you have? Do you have a pic?
Old November 16th, 2003, 12:44 PM

he's not a puppy, he's 2yr.old. My husband got him for me 2 yrs. ago for Mother's Day (in was in 2001). I also have a German Shepard (he'll be 3 in Dec.), and a mixed breed (which I also think is part pit bull) I don't know how old he is. My husband rescued him from his work. They were going to put the mixed breed down, so my husband brought him home. My pit bull also chews on my german shepard's ear, is that normal. How old is your pit bull? Our pit bull is very friendly he's excellent around our children. How do I send you a picture of him?

I'll try that suggestion that you gave me. I hope it works. Did it work with your pit bull? My pit also thinks he's a lap dog he weighs at 65-70lbs. also.

Thank you
Old November 16th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, I thought your dog was a puppy....at 2 yrs old, constant licking may be more of a compulsion or habit. In this case, you will need to be more firm with the "ENOUGH" command. Just be patient and consistant - and don't expect results overnight!

My dog is 3 and was a rescued dog as well. She is wonderful and loves everyone. She's not much of a licker though - unusual for a pit bull. From her demeanor, I believe someone harshly taught her not to do that.

I must caution you about one thing (if you aren't experienced with the breed) Please separate your pit bull from your other dogs when you go out if you aren't already doing so!

Pit bull puppies and young (under 2 yr old) dogs are often great with other dogs, but that can change nearly overnight! Anything can start a fight - a noise outside, something falling, a crumb on the floor - and no matter who starts it, your pit bull will finish it.

Leaving them together simply is not worth the risk of possibly disasterous consequences!

To post a pic here, highlight and copy the URL of your picture, come here and click the "IMG" button you see at the top, and paste your URL into it.
Old November 16th, 2003, 01:45 PM

The way my pit acts you would think he is a puppy. I know you are concerned with separating my pit from my 2 other dogs. My German Shepard and Pit Bull are normally together in a Huge Crate (Cage) when we go out somewhere, and our 3rd dog (Our mixed breed) is normally free around the house. Our German Shepard and Pit Bull have been together since our Pit was a puppy, they get along very well. I haven't seen a bad side to our Pit. The vet we take our Pit to is surprised by how well our dog is. She said this was the first calm and well behaved Pit Bull she's ever seen. She also told us that there isn't any fighting bred into him. She loves pit bulls, and she deals with a lot of them. We took her word for it. I don't see any fighting bred in him either. He's so loveable, and so good.

I'm having a little problem with trying to paste my pictures here. I have a digital camera (Kodak EasyShare) and I can't copy the URL (I don't even see one). Is there another way I would be able to send you these pictures, or another way to send them from the digital camera. Sorry for the incovience and all the questions. I would like to send you the pictures of my pit.
Old November 16th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

These are your dogs and you will do with them as you please. But I have to pass on to you what I have learned after much experience and discussions with very knowledgeable people (breeders and rescuers):

DO NOT CRATE YOUR PIT BULL WITH ANOTHER DOG!! Not even for 10 minutes!!! If a fight starts in a cage while you are out, your German Shepherd will be killed. A 2yr old pit bull is really basically a puppy - they mature late - and if he is going to show aggression, it can happen with no warning and no time to break up a fight without serious injury or death to your other dog. Pit bulls were bred not have the inhibitions other dogs have and will not stop attacking even after the other dog submits or is incapacitated.

I know of people whose pit bulls got along wonderfully for many years, then one day - boom! - one attacked the other, and in a few cases - one killed the other before the owner could even cross the room to stop them. In this case, the dogs belonged to a reknowed pit bull person - who has been keeping, raising and rescuing them for 30 years.

Crating them together is a horror story just waiting to happen. It has nothing to do with your dog being "bad" - my dog is wonderful with all animals and all people - but I would never ever trust her alone with another dog. It's just one thing I have to accept in exhange for all her other wonderful traits!

Your pit bull may continue to get along wonderfully with your other dog - until the moment he does not, and then it will be too late.

Look at it this way:
Border collies were bred to herd, and that can't be trained out of them.
Greyhounds and huskies - bred to run and can't be trained not to.
Pit bulls - bred to fight and the URGE cannot be trained out of them.
None of these traits are "bad" they are just what these dogs were bred to do.

Quote:
She also told us that there isn't any fighting bred into him. She loves pit bulls, and she deals with a lot of them.
On what does your vet base this? ALL pit bulls have fighting bred into them - it's a breed trait, although not all pit bulls are game. Does she have your dog's pedigree for the last 5 generations? If she did, she would no doubt see the names of gamedogs on it - dogs who fought in a pit. Even if not one of your dog's ancestors ever fought, it does not mean that HE will not want to when he reaches a certain age.

I have to add that most vets know very little about breed traits, and yours is one of them. What she told you is not only inaccurate, but dangerous. Vets usually like pit bulls, because they are so friendly and easy to handle. But seeing them on the exam table, licking and wagging their tails, is different from seeing them with other dogs.

Pit bulls who are "cold" - that is, who show absolutely no aggression towards other dogs for their lifetime are very rare! I personally know of only 2. I'm sure there are more, but dont' count on yours being one of them. Prevention is the most important thing.

The vast majority do show some aggression to different degrees - from mild to so aggressive they cannot be taken to dog shows.

I'd be glad to discuss this further with you if you like! I love the breed and hate to see any of them being put in situations that may cause them to be further hated by the public.

If you want to send me a pic of your dog, I will post it for you! I would love to see him.
Email
Old November 16th, 2003, 03:30 PM

I just e-mailed you 3 pictures of my Pit Bull. I used to be one of those people who were against Pit Bulls. That was until my husband brought my Petie home to me. He's so loveable. I find it hard that he could have fighting bred into him. I know that's what Pits were bred to do. He's so good around my German Shepard. All of my dogs are males. He's also good around my Mixed Breed (which I think is part pit bull).

If he was going to be one of the "fighting ones" wouldn't I see some kind of behavior by now? I'm a stay at home mom, I'm with my kids and dogs all day. They all get along.

Maybe you could answer another question for me. When my mixed breed pee's my pit and shepard like it and they start to drool and slober all over the place. My pit also licks my shepards paw after he pees (he the shepard just learned how to lift his leg and he still gets pee on him) then my pit drools all over the place. My mixed breed doesn't lick pee. Is this normal. Also we have our neighbors who let your dogs go to the bathroom in our yard, and our dog's sniif it (the pit and the shepard) and lick it. What can I do about this??
Old November 16th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If he was going to be one of the "fighting ones" wouldn't I see some kind of behavior by now?
Not necessarily. Some of the most famous fighting dogs were completely friendly with other dogs until they hit 3 or 4 years old.

And dog aggression has nothing to do with human aggression. Your dog (or mine) could be aggressive to other dogs, but still be a wonderful pet and great with people!

As for the pee thing..you don't have a fence? I really recommend you get one - both to keep your dogs in and other dogs out.

I'll post your pics soon.

Oh, BTW - are your dogs all spayed or neutered?

Edited to say I just looked at the pics, and see he is NOT neutered, and needs to be!!

He is absolutely adorable!!
Old November 16th, 2003, 04:48 PM

No, none of my dogs are neutered. My dog does get along with other dogs.

My Mixed Breed goes into a Kennel we have outside. My Pit and Shepard get hooked to a leash. We used to put all of them into the Kennel, but our Shepard chewed a big hold through the fence of the Kennel. So until we can get the hole fixed they go on the leash. Our Mixed Breed doesn't go near the hole, he pretends it's not even there.

IF my dogs have dog aggression, what are the signs? None of my dogs are abused, or neglected. My Mixed Breed (the one we rescued) was severly abused apparently by a male. He wouldn't go to any males, he was scared, and would crouch down, and pee on the floor. He's fine now. All my dogs get along well with each other and my family, and people in general.

What else would I need to know? Is your Pit hyper especailly when you take her for a walk?? I'm looking around for a harness for my pit.

Thank you for posting my pictures for me.

How old is your Pit?
Old November 16th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is daisy18216's pit bull! (what's his name?) He is totally ADORABLE!!

With multiple male dogs, and especially with a pit bull - they should be neutered. This can help a bit with aggression, and keeping intact males together is asking for trouble. There is no reason for your dogs to be intact.

Again I reiterate - do not leave your pit bull alone with your other dog when you are not there. EVER. Yes, I understand that your dog gets along with other dogs - NOW.

As for signs of aggression...bumping other dogs with the shoulder, staring, growling, high raised head and tail, putting neck on top of the neck of another dog.

With pit bulls, there may be NO signs of aggression - just a sudden and very serious attack.

My dog is 3 years old. She went to and passed obedience school - and yes I had trouble with her pulling on the leash. This is characteristic of the breed and now she is pretty good, but still has lapses.

Here is a link which contains some of the best info on pit bulls on the net. I'm sure it'll be helpful!
the Real Pit Bull
Old November 16th, 2003, 07:50 PM

His name is Petie. Our mixed breed is neutured. He was neutured when my husband rescued him. I forgot to tell you that. Our German Shepard is not, my husband wants to get him bred. Petie we were thinking about it, but money is the issue with getting him neutured.

How can I find out if my mixed breed has any pit bull in him?

I wil go to that website now. Thanks.

Do you need a harness for your dog, or is she fine?
Old November 17th, 2003, 09:43 AM

I'm new to the forum, but since you were talking about pit bulls, I thought I'd add on here. My wife and I are new pit bull owners. We went to the shelter to adopt a small dog, and came home with our 65 pound pit mix. I have owned dogs before, but always beagles or lab mixes. I want to be a responsible owner, so I've been doing a lot of reading. Petunia is fine around people, she allows my nephews to play with her and she is very gentle.

The issue we ran into was with my sisters beagle. Yesterday, my father had Petunia on the leash outside while my sisters beagle was running loose. When the beagle suddenly charged at Petunia, she flipped him over and he started whining like he was being seriously hurt. It looked like she had him by the throat. It turns out, both dogs were unhurt and petunia was wagging her tail the entire time. I know I should have been watching closer, but since I had been telling my father to keep an eye on her and i was loading the car, I wasn't. My question is, was Petunia just playing rough with him and this was normal, or should I keep the two dogs apart because we were a few seconds away from a major disaster? I don't want buddy (the beagle) to get hurt, but I do want to be able to bring Petunia to my parents.

Like I said, I have had dogs before, but we've always just let them bark, snarl, and snap at each other from a distance for a few minutes and they usually work out their differences with no one getting hurt. But it seems from what I've read, doing that with a pit is flirting with disaster.

Thanks for any help. As I said, I didn't plan on getting a pit bull mix, but this one stole our heart and we just want to make sure that we take care of her.
Old November 17th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
As I said, I didn't plan on getting a pit bull mix, but this one stole our heart and we just want to make sure that we take care of her.
They do steal your hearts, don't they?

First of all, are you sure your dog is a mix? Many shelters incorrectly label pit bulls in the hopes of making them more adoptable.

Now, some pit bulls have a particular dog friend who they can play with and be perfectly fine. Petunia may be able to play with the Beagle, but NOT while on leash. Even pit bulls who aren't particularly aggressive can be made aggressive if they are on leash, and the other dog is loose. I think this holds true for many dogs!

It's possible that Petunia can play with the Beagle,especially if Petunia is very young. You can try letting them get together with both dogs on LOOSE leashes, and see how they do. Separate them if there are signs of aggression.
Do not let them "work it out" if there are. And yes - pit bulls often do play roughly. They are also very noisy, with loud growls and shrieks and this normal.

Petunia could have really hurt the beagle if she had wanted to yet she did not! If the play is even - that is, if each dog has a turn chasing, running, etc. I would let them continue. If the beagle seems to be trying to get away, or is afraid, I would stop it.

Can you post a pic of your dog?
Old November 17th, 2003, 11:00 AM

No, I don't know if she's truly a mix or not. That's what they said at the shelter, and the vet said that she had characteristics of a couple of types of dogs, including APBT, bulldog, boxer, and American Staffordshire terrier. We have just based it on that. She's also an older dog...somewhere between 3 and 4, probably closer to 4.

Unless my sister leaves the property, she never puts a leash on Buddy. She's had him long enough and he is well enough trained that he listens to voice commands. Since Petunia doesn't and the yard isn't fenced, we couldn't do that. The strange part was, Petunia wasn't making any noise. She isn't a very vocal dog, though. I know that Buddy is used to being able to jump on the other dogs, my parents actually have 2 other beagles living at the house also and that's how they usually play. Apparently he jumps at the other two and they lay down and let him. I guess we forgot to mention that rule to Petunia. I think what freaked everyone out was the whimpering and whining sounds that buddy was making while this was happening. I have a feeling he was more scared than any of us.

When we got her, they said that she wasn't good with other dogs. Since my family is a big dog family, we have been trying to get her to be better able to handle other dogs. We are enrolled in a training class and she seems to be getting better around other dogs, which is good. Like I said, I'm new to having this breed of dog and want to make sure that we are doing things correctly.

As for pictures, I will post them later today. Unfortunately I emailed them to myself at work and they never went through.

Thanks again for your help.
Old November 17th, 2003, 09:28 PM

I know my Pit Bull Petie plays with my 2 other dogs, they do get rough at times, but not violent.. I always watch them play. It's not just the Pit Bull breed that plays rough, I notice my German Shepard playing rougher than my other 2. I would get another Pit Bull in the future (not now I have enough dogs).

If one dog is tied up, and the other one is running around loose
trying to play. Then the dog that is tied up is going to get scared Only because that one can't go anywhere and feels threaten. If you want to see how they act together when they both can be free, I would suggest taking them a fenced in baseball field or something to that sort.

I know where I live if they get a pit bull in the animal shelter, they won't let you adopt it. They put them down, I don't agree with that, and If I could I would adopt all of them but I can't.

I am very happy with my pit, he's excellent around my children. I worry more about my German Shepard then my Pit Bull's temperment. Only because I had a friend who had to put her Shepard down, she got out of control (she would jump through windows etc.)

I have a pit bull mix (at least that's what I'm told he is and he looks like one) he's the size of my German Shepard not my Pit Bull. He's a good dog he's also been an abused dog that my husband rescued. The person who had him before got him neutured, but neglected him. He was wary at first, but he's been doing alot better.

I would like to see a picture of your pit also.
Old November 17th, 2003, 09:29 PM

Here is a picture of Petunia.
Attached Images

Old November 17th, 2003, 09:43 PM

She's cute. She does have boxer in her, she looks like she has more boxer, then pit bull.

How is she otherwise for you?

Do you know how long she's been in the animal shelter?

And if the person who had her before abused, neglected, or did anything else to her?

I looked at the website that LuckRescue gave me and I took the pit bull test. There were 11 dogs I thought 5 of them were a pit bull, I was wrong. None of them were a pit.

They did have Staffordshire Terrier on there, you can go to that website under Breed Id and you might be able to see how many different breeds your pit bull mix is.

http://www.realpitbull.com/
you can go to this website. It gives you all kinds of information. I'm glad LuckyRescue gave it to me.
Old November 17th, 2003, 11:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Petunia is extremely cute! Oh, what a smooshy face! Yes, she's a mix..could be boxer, who who knows?

She looks like she's lots of fun!
Old November 18th, 2003, 08:34 AM

She's been excellent for us. She does occasionally have accidents, but they seem to be when she gets excited and doesn't get taken outside. Basically, if we start playing adn I get her running around, I have learned that she is going to have to go out pretty soon after that. Other than that, she plays well with my nephews, which is good. She tolerates their poking, prodding, and pulling, which is better than what I usually do.

If I remember correctly, she had been in the pound for a little over a year. She had been left in an airport and was brought to the shelter from there. Nothing else of her history was known, but she doesn't seem like she was ever abused. She doesn't show signs of being scared like an abused dog would, and we have had an abused dog before. One of the beagles my parents have, when we first got her if my father or I spoke to loud would lay down on the ground and whine. It took about a year and a half for her to realize that both Pop and I are just loud, never really mad at her. Petunia was apparently a favorite at the shelter. Everyone who worked their came over when we picked her up.

Thanks for the website, I'll take a look at it. Sorry for taking over your thread, but since you were already talking about Pit bulls, I though I would just jump in. Especially b/c we are trying to tone down the licking ourselves.
Old November 18th, 2003, 11:09 AM

Don't worry about it.
Quote:
Sorry for taking over your thread, but since you were already talking about Pit bulls, I thought I would just jump in. Especially b/c we are trying to tone down the licking ourselves.
That's what this forum is for, to help other people with their dogs and dog problems.

I want to Thank LuckyRescue again for giving me that website, and for all the help.

Here is a picture of my Pit Bull Mix. If anybody might have a clue as to what he is mixed with please let me know. I think he is a mix. He's name is Thor.
Old November 18th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hi I'm gonna butt in here for a minute!

Just wanted to praise all you folks that have these lovely dogs for being responsible. I love seeing pit's as family dogs with all the love sharing going on, it's great. I hate them being taken advantage of by the 'lower class' of society (no need to go on further as you all know what I mean)

Just thought I'd say that, great peoples!

Oh I say Petunia looks boxer mixed too
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:07 PM

It is hard work owning a Pit. I found myself defending my pit to one of my neighbors (who was very ignorant and judgemental). He was telling me that no one should be allowed to own a pit. I told him it's how you raise them. I said if you raise them to be a fighting/killing dog then that's all they know. I also told him that my pit is very very good and excellent with my children, and my other dogs. He said what about your neighbors. I told him my neighbor has a small toy dog (it looks like a poodle, but it's not a poodle). And my Petie (pit bull) is good with that dog to. My Petie is the happiest dog, he loves people and other dogs.

I love all of my dogs. I don't see any problems owning a pit bull as long as you have control of your dog. Judging a dog is just like judging a person before you get to know how they are. I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this.

I will always defend my pit bull. I remember at one time when they gave German Shepards a bad name. I also have a German Shepard.

As you can see I'm still having problems posting my pictures on here. I'll get it sooner or later. As soon as I do I will post a picture of my mix. I think he's a pit bull also but he's much bigger then my Petie (pit bull). My mix is the size of my German Shepard.
Old November 18th, 2003, 02:54 PM

Here is a picture of my mix. He's name is Thor (I think he's also a pit bull, but some of my friends disagree with me). Thor was abused and very neglected before we got him (my husband rescued him from his place of employment). Thor was very afraid of males. If a man would come into our house, Thor would hide by me, or crouch down on the floor and pee. The first night Thor came home he snapped at my Petie (pit bull). Petie kept getting in his face and wouldn't leave Thor alone. Thor is neutured.

Thor is doing very well now. He sleeps in my daughter's room with her on her bed everynight. Sorry this picture is so big, I'm just getting the hang of posting pictures on this forum. If you think you might know what kind of breed my dog is please let me know. Thank You.
Attached Images

Old November 18th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by daisy18216
It is hard work owning a Pit. I found myself defending my pit to one of my neighbors (who was very ignorant and judgemental). He was telling me that no one should be allowed to own a pit. I told him it's how you raise them. I said if you raise them to be a fighting/killing dog then that's all they know.
I think I mentioned previously, it's NOT "how you raise them". A pit bull can decide one day he wants to fight, no matter how lovingly he was raised, trained or socialized.

They either want to fight, or they don't. Odd are that they do, sooner or later.
Old November 18th, 2003, 07:25 PM

I know and understand what your saying about them one day sooner or later wanting to fight. Doesn't it matter also how you raise your dogs? Isn't that true with any dog though? Do German Shepard's just snap, or is it only the Pit Bull Breed? I know a friend of mine had to put her German Shepard to sleep, when she was 9+ yrs. old she kept loosing it (ie jumping through windows,etc.)

Do you think my mix is pit bull or a different type of dog.

Please don't get offended about me sticking up for my dog. I'm not going to argue with you, you know more than I do about this breed. My dog is part of my family. I watch all my dogs closely when they play with each other, or when they play with my children.
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:15 PM

Luba,

Thanks for the kind words. After having Petunia only a couple of months, I've started to laugh in people's faces when they tell me how nasty pit's are. When I got her, I started doing some looking on the net and found some websites that describe what some of those "lower class" types do to these beautiful dogs. I was on one website the other day on my lunch break, and I almost cried reading the stories. After seeing how some of these dogs are treated, it amazes me that they can still be so friendly. Kind of makes me wonder what our sweatheart has been through. I'm going on the assumption that she was treated right!

As for worrying about her being a fighter, all I can say is, I don't think it will happen but I will keep my eyes open just in case. I can live with a dog that doesn't get along with otherdogs, even though it's difficult having family with large numbers of dogs. As long as she stays sweet with people, I can go through the effort of keeping her away from my sister's and Aunt's dogs.

As for whether she's a mix or not....the more people I talk to, the less I know. At our class today, the trainer said that there might be a tiny bit of boxer, but she's almost all pit. I've said before that I don't care, Just think it's funny that no one can come to agreement.

Lou
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hey no problem Lou

Interesting point from LR
I don't know much about P.B's only from what I hear and you know what they say about that.....believe a penny of what you hear!

How much is right/.wrong who knows. Just nice to hear of responsible individuals.

Luba
Old November 18th, 2003, 10:01 PM

I can only speak from the 3 months I've had petunia and what I've read, but it seems that they are great with people but not always with other dogs. When they are young (less than 2 or 3) they seem to get along with other dogs. When they start to mature, due to their breeding, they can become more dog-aggressive. Not all of them do, but it is possible. Around people, they are usually excellent. Contrary to what is usually said, they are actually not well known as guard dogs....They are too friendly to people. (I can speak to that. Petunia's typical reaction when people walk in is to go to them and either try to lick them, or nudge their hand so she gets pet). They are extremely loyal, loving, and smart dogs.

Again, I'm no expert, just someone who has a tendency to read as much as possible when he gets a new toy (or, in this case, friend) And in this case, I've spent lunch for 2 months searching the internet reading any website I could find. If anyone sees any inacuracies, let me know and I promis that I will break my own fingers and never type on this website again!
Old November 18th, 2003, 10:48 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

OH hush you Petunia daddy!
Just be happy that you and she have found one another and that she's got a lovely home now!

Don't break those fingers unless you can upload pics of her with your nose!

HAHAH

Luba
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Daisy - Thor looks like he may be Lab x pit bull, but there really is no way of knowing. He's very cute!

It's wonderful that you stick up for your dog. I do too! But that really isn't enough. You have to responsible. Get him neutered, and stop leaving him alone with your GSD.

PetuniasDad - I see you've done your homework! Everything you said is right on. Pit bulls, if of correct temperament, make lousy guard dogs. Mine greets every stranger with butt wiggles and a big "I love you SOOOOO much!" LOL!

If you would like, I can give you the URL to a pit bull message board I moderate. You would be a welcome addition, and there are so many people there with a wealth of knowledge and experience.