Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 31st, 2010, 01:55 PM

Fuzz has a blocked bladder!!

Wow after having Fuzz neutered last Tuesday he started to act really weird with constantly trying to lick his penis. At first we thought it was from discomfort from the surgery as the neuter clinic never said anything about pain killers or antibiotics.

Two days later in the morning Fuzz started to try peeing everywhere every few minutes with very small amount of urine coming out.

Since me and the wife had to go to work we had the kids keep an eye on Fuzz and half way through the day no urine was coming out at all and he vomited.

We took him to the vet clinic where he was neutered and they had to force the urine out of him as there was so much blockage. Poor guy was in crazy pain. The vet said his penis was quite enlarged from the pressure build up which was also causing more blockage.

So we took Fuzz home thinking we were ok for now and started planning diet changes but he once again couldn't pee so the vet said bring him back asap. Fuzz has to stay at the vet for a few days with a catheter as there is so much crystal in his system that thats the only way to get the urine out.

We won't know anymore about it till Monday when they do more tests/xray.

I though feeding the cats good canned food and some grain free kibble would minimize this but I guess not.

We got 7 cats so the next few weeks will have to be planning on a RAW diet change for all of them.
Old January 31st, 2010, 02:30 PM
Kitty pimp

best of luck to the guy
Old January 31st, 2010, 04:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope Fuzz recovers quickly! Sounds like the poor guy has been through the wringer!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 31st, 2010, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Yikes! Poor little dude. Good thing you got him to the vet in time, far too many cats die of blocked urinary tracts every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by end user View Post
I though feeding the cats good canned food and some grain free kibble would minimize this but I guess not.

We got 7 cats so the next few weeks will have to be planning on a RAW diet change for all of them.
Raw would be a great idea, and could even end up being the cheapest option for you. But for sure you should be eliminating all kibble from your cat's diets. Grain-free or not, dry food is the biggest factor in feline urinary tract disorders. Also, if the canned food you're feeding has a lot of fish in it, I'd recommend finding something without any seafood. I won't go into the reasons why, but it can also be a factor in FLUTD. Here is some info worth reading: http://www.catinfo.org/feline_urinary_tract_health.htm

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 31st, 2010, 06:21 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You may also consider adding some water even to the canned food for extra fluid.

You mentioned you have multiple cats. How does this guy interact with the others? Is he timid and afraid to use the litter box resulting in holding in his urine? If so, is there anyway you can put him in a quiet room with his own litterbox and food for a couple days?

Like SCM stated, absolutely NO kibble for this guy and raw will be you best bet to ensure he gets a species appropriate diet to ensure his PH stays between 6 and 6.5

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the info. He has to stay one more day at the vet but is doing pretty good and the urine is flowing good now also.
Old February 1st, 2010, 01:48 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Poor kitty.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:05 PM

Well Fuzz is back home and seems to be doing ok. Wasn't cheap $520 I'll post a list of what they did later.

They did send me home with Medi Cal Urinary SO which I have no idea about. Should I just skip the dry food and go to wet Wellness or Felidae and add extra water? I can't start all of the cats on raw for about a month till I get enough funds to get the meat (already bought the food processor)

He also has to take these

Dantium and Phenoxybenzamine.

Last edited by end user; February 2nd, 2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Well Fuzz is back home and seems to be doing ok.
Glad that he's home!!

Quote:
They did send me home with Medi Cal Urinary SO which I have no idea about. Should I just skip the dry food and go to wet Wellness or Felidae and add extra water?
YES!!! Dry Medi-cal S/O is horrid, and I can't believe vets still send home dry food for a cat suffering from urinary tract issues. Maybe you could take it back for a refund and say that Fuzz won't eat it. The canned S/O would be better, if you didn't feel comfortable using something else just yet. Do you know any of the details of Fuzz's blockage, like the results of the urinalysis and what type of crystals he had?

Quote:
He also has to take these

Dantium and Phenoxybenzamine.
Phenoxybenzamine is a smooth muscle relaxant and Dantrium is a skeletal muscle relaxant. Here is some info on various meds used to treat FLUTD:
http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proce...6510&O=Generic

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Do you know any of the details of Fuzz's blockage, like the results of the urinalysis and what type of crystals he had?
They didn't really tell me anything about the test results except for handing me the bill. I'll get my wife to get the info from them later today since from reading I we need to know the crystal type to figure out a proper fix.

I'm actually not going back to that clinic as I they don't do a very good job of communicating with what needs to be done (at least the workers and not the vets)
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad he's at least home and feeling a bit better!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:31 AM

Well we just caught him peeing on a blanket and there wasn't much urine. Talked to a vet at the animal hospital he was treated at and he said its possible he'll be like this as his penis is still swollen from the catheter. You can see it sticking out a little. I'm hoping that only what is. He seems pretty active and not lethargic like before when his bladder was full and he's eating and drinking a lot.

Now the vet said the tests showed (alkaline) struvite crystals.

I'm getting him on a raw diet tomorrow hopefully this'll adjust the ph level in his urinary system.

When I got to the pet store that sells raw food should I ask for a certain mix?
Old February 4th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Well we just caught him peeing on a blanket and there wasn't much urine. Talked to a vet at the animal hospital he was treated at and he said its possible he'll be like this as his penis is still swollen from the catheter. You can see it sticking out a little. I'm hoping that only what is. He seems pretty active and not lethargic like before when his bladder was full and he's eating and drinking a lot.

Now the vet said the tests showed (alkaline) struvite crystals.

I'm getting him on a raw diet tomorrow hopefully this'll adjust the ph level in his urinary system.

Excellent decision

A feline mix with no veggies is best. They don't require any vitamins from fruits/veggies/berries. All their essential nutrients comes from raw bone/meat.

Here is a website that goes into details of cat nutrition:

http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

I now make my own homemade raw for my cats, I found the store bought stuff way too expensive and had too much bone in it so I was added a bit of muscle meat in it anyways. You will probably notice a huge difference in your cat once on raw, he will probably develop muscle mass and be much more active

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 4th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
You're in BC, right? You should be able to find Red Dog Deli frozen raw, which is an excellent product. The chicken and turkey are balanced for everyday feeding, but the venison and buffalo need calcium added if they're fed more than a couple times a week because they don't include bone. There is also 3P Naturals Basic Instinct cat food, and all of their flavours (including lamb, rabbit, elk, etc) contain bone.

Old February 5th, 2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
As well as Red Dog & 3P other excellent local made in the Lower Mainland brands are Natural Instincts, Club Canine and Fresh Start

Another option, which is what I feed, is Feline Futures TC Instincts powdered pre-mix you add to your own raw meat.

Here is an article on transitioning your cat to a raw diet

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
As well as Red Dog & 3P other excellent local made in the Lower Mainland brands are Natural Instincts, Club Canine and Fresh Start

Another option, which is what I feed, is Feline Futures TC Instincts powdered pre-mix you add to your own raw meat.

Here is an article on transitioning your cat to a raw diet
Thanks for the info! We just go the Red Dog cat food yesterday and 5 of the cats scarfed it down to the point where the steel bowls where shinny. Mind you we tired RAW food before and they seem to like it.

Fuzz so far is not really improving. His energy levels are up and he eats a lot and does drink water but still peeing very small amounts and usually on the third time he tries thats where most of the urine comes out but still no where near what the other cats pee. I wonder if its still the trauma from the catheter thats maybe making it painful to pee? He's also starting to meow/whine a lot more.

I'm gonna try another vet that was suggested in another thread but don't have much money left (with Fuzz's neutering so far its been $700 in the last week)- what sucks is we bought new furniture three days before Fuzz got sick so that screwed me up for available cash.
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:52 AM

Man not looking to this again. Noticed he's been peeing very small amounts and been trying to pee quite often and he's licking/cleaning is penis area quite often. Doesn't seem to be in discomfort yet like he was before.

I can take him to a vet but I can't afford the $550 bill like last time at least not till pay day.

We've been feeding all the cats raw, Wellness wet and some Wellness dry. They get fed twice per day the wet and once the dry in the evening. Not sure maybe the wet/wet/dry is changing the ph of his urine? When he was strictly on wet after the first episode he was all good and eventually peed quite a bit till the last two days.

I have some morphine like sedative the last vet gave me just in case it comes back. He said it would make him super stone but would allow the urinary system to relax and release the urine easier. Not sure if i should try it.

Also I went back to RAW food for him and mixed it with water. I'll keep just him on it for a bit maybe it'll minimize the crystals?
Old March 8th, 2010, 03:18 AM

Well he just peed and its look pink/redish so I guess he's off to the vet in the morning. I guess this would be the crystals cutting as they come out with the urine?
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Is your vet positive he doesn't have kidney stones? I dunno about in cats, but my sister gets calcium oxalate ones really bad and big ones can definitely come down and block the urethra and cause blood in the urine. She's had to have surgery several times to have them removed and because she's genetically prone to them changing her diet does not work.

I just did some reading on google and it appears cats can have the same issues. If he's genetically prone to getting them really bad changing diet may not do much and you may have to keep taking him to the vet to have them removed. The vet will have to send the stones off and have them tested to see what type they are for sure
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Got my info off of this site:

http://www.2ndchance.info/calculi.htm
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Good luck today

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 8th, 2010, 12:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Sending some for Fuzz and for you, end user!

Old March 8th, 2010, 02:01 PM

So the vet check him out and his bladder was empty so look like there's enough urine coming out each time (although quite often) to keep the bladder empty.

The vet gave me two diet options. Either keep him and all the other cats on strictly wet/raw diet or give them a Urinary SO kibble. He said the SO just contains more salts which makes the cats drink more often but the wet//raw would be better in the long run. Quite the opposite of what the other vets told us.

He got a shot of antibiotics and he said I could give him the Buprenorphine I got from the last vet which would relax him urinary system.

He said since his bladder is emptying out there's no need atm for any drastic measures like last time.

He also said that since I have 7 cats its possible that the stress from being around so many cats in a house and the sill being indoor cats can possibly be part of the problem. He suggested I separate Fuzz for a few hours a day just to be by himself.
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Wow! Sounds like a great vet, end user! Great news about Fuzz, too.

Old March 8th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Good vet!. I know having multiple cats that is so difficult to isolate what each is eating/drinking/peeing/pooping .

Are you able to give Fuzz some extra water every day by using a plastic syringe? I was doing that with Puddles, but with the raw/canned diet with extra water added she doesn't seem to need it anymore.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 8th, 2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Good vet!. I know having multiple cats that is so difficult to isolate what each is eating/drinking/peeing/pooping .

Are you able to give Fuzz some extra water every day by using a plastic syringe? I was doing that with Puddles, but with the raw/canned diet with extra water added she doesn't seem to need it anymore.
Yah I have a small syringe left over from the antibiotics and will use that to give him more water. We been trying to put water into their food every time they eat but I think the kids have been skipping out on it when they feed the cats when they get home from school.

I was just relieved that the vet said his bladder was empty which means that the urine is at least not collecting inside of him. He also showed me how to feel the bladder to see if its full.

The vet said I was lucky the last catheter/hospitalization was pretty cheap ($525+) usually the price for that is in the $1000-1500 area.
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
the wet//raw would be better in the long run.
Great to hear that coming from a vet!

Quote:
He got a shot of antibiotics
Ugh. This part I have a problem with. Was it Convenia, by any chance? There is some rampant overuse of this going on right now in the veterinary community and this is a prime example. For one, most (>90%) bladder/urinary tract issues in cats under the age of 10 are not the result of infection, so giving antibiotics is at best, a waste of money. But even worse, it can compromise the health of your cat. At least if you're giving oral antibiotics and your cat has a bad reaction, you can discontinue them immediately. Not so with the injectables. And there have been a number of cases where Convenia has caused life-threatening anemia in cats. There is no reason to be injecting antibiotics unless you're dealing with a feral or difficult to handle cat and pilling is not an option. Me thinks Pfizer has done quite the marketing job on vets with this one.

Quote:
He also said that since I have 7 cats its possible that the stress from being around so many cats in a house and the sill being indoor cats can possibly be part of the problem.
Stress can definitely be a contributing factor for cystitis. Some things you can try if you haven't already:
  • Feliway diffusers in the areas that the cats spend the most time.
  • Increase the number of litter boxes and put them in several different locations around the house.
  • Increase the amount of vertical space that the cats can occupy, either with tall cat condos, window hammocks, or cubby-holes on bookshelves, etc,.
  • A more interactive environment or dedicated play time to keep the kitties mentally and physically stimulated.

You might also consider adding some supplements to Fuzz's wet food that contribute to bladder health. Cosequin is one option, as it helps strengthen the lining of the bladder. Marshmallow or corn silk powder are good for soothing the irritated mucus membranes of the bladder and urinary tract during bouts of cystitis. If bacteria truly are part of the equation (the only way to know is with a culture and sensitivity), adding D-mannose may help.

Good luck! Hopefully this will be the last of any more peepee problems for Fuzz. But for sure get rid of all the remaining kibble. Dry food in any form or amount is bad news when it comes to the urinary tracts of male cats.

Old March 8th, 2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post

Ugh. This part I have a problem with. Was it Convenia, by any chance?
Yes it was and it was $50 at that. Didn't even think about that it'll be in the cat for two weeks vs giving them pills/liquid and being able to stop of theres are side effects. You don't really think about something like that when you're cat is peeing blood and can barely pee. You just want to see them feel better.

I guess finding a fully honest vet just ain't gonna happen.

A for the overcrowding, well the cats do have the whole house at their disposal but they insist on hanging out with me and my wife downstairs in our room. Every morning at least 4 of them are sleeping at the end of our bed and one usually manages to sneak in the space between our pillows

We go have several cat litters but will get two more they also have tons of space where they can lay down on top of at least 4 closets/stands.

We'll be letting them out of the house slowly over the next two months. Will be a pain in the ass as when they all run out its like a zoo out there so will have to let them out two/three at a time.

The vet said I could also try supplementing the food with Glucosamine