Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old October 2nd, 2005, 03:45 PM

Angry can anyone help

hi there all ,ive just recently done my front garden and it looks great , apart from one little problem i keep getting visitors ( cats ) yes doing there bissness as you can imagine it stinks as soon as i open my door all i can smell is pooh not nice eh , well can anyone help me to stope them apart from triying to catch them to put a cork in it lol any other suggestions.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Mothballs.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I thought mothballs were harmful to cats? I have read everything from garlic to citrus but that would sort of be unsightly to one's garden. I think a loud noise scares them away and it won't hurt them. Too much garlic can make a cat sick tho and I would never use anything that might harm an animal.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Unless you have actually seen the cats,it might not be cats at all..
I often find BIG turds on my lawn,I even picked one up today,it's from a very large raccoon that comes around here every night,as well I have skunks and opossums.
Cats seldom do there business without covering it up,usually no smell is left behind,that's why they keep covering up and sniffing and if they go in your garden,it's good fertilizer
I don't know of anything that will keep any animal out of your garden,in my view I just have to share my piece of nature with whatever lives out there and I would certainly never harm anything.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:40 PM
-

Go to a groomers a get a bag of wet/dirty dog hair. Take an old pair of nylons and cut them up so you can make little pouches and place them around your garden. This is if there is a chance that it may be another critter. For the cats, go to a pet supply store and look for an outdoor granular or jelly deterent.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I would probably turn the hose on them,or get motion detection sprinklers if you can find them.And I would blast the neighbours for being so rude and endangering their cats.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
I often find BIG turds on my lawn
I'm sorry but I just have not heard that in a very very long time. It caught me off guard and I'm still laughing... Sorry, back to maturity...
Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Turn the hose on the cats? That's cruel! I hope you are kidding b/c otherwise, that is animal abuse!! I would speak to the neighbour. Cats do not nec'ly change their behaviour in the face of abuse or punitive measures like turning a hose on them. They only will fear you. That would be so unecessarily unwise and horrible!!! My cat is an indoor kitty but if she did get in someone's yard and they did that to her, they would have a lot to answer for!!! But she only goes out on a leash. I do see neighbourhood kitties but I also feed these cats when their families are away so I let them lay down on my step - they never do their biz on my property either. They did try to dig up my flowers at one point (maybe planning to fo their biz but I hissed at them like another cat would and they avoid that area now. Fortunately, no one was looking when I did that, lol