Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:55 AM

6 month old puppy - impacted teeth?

Hi,
My wheaten puppy is now a few days shy of 6 months old Since his 4 month mark he's lost some teeth, but definitely not all (he seemed to lose a bunch at lightening speed and then stopped / slowed waaay down).
Today when I looked in his mouth I noticed that the canines on his top jaw seem impacted...new teeth are coming in but the baby ones are still there. When I touched the baby canines they seem VERY VERY slightly wiggly...but definitely nowhere near ready to come out for another little while. Should I be worried?
I know many vets will remove impacted teeth at the time of neutering...but we already had Goose neutered at 5.5 months.
A part of me feels like it isn't time to worry YET but some advice / opinions from experienced dog-owners will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:49 AM
Senior Contributor

When Shayker was a baby, her adult teeth came in and she had 2 rows of teeth. Looked like a shark. The vet said he would remove them when she was spayed. Unfortunately, Shayker was diagnosed with renal failure and we never had her spayed. She died at 14 months. You pup will be fine with the double teeth. Not a big deal, just enjoy the shark smiles.. you will probably have to have them taken out though...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Senior Contributor

You need to keep an eye on retained teeth because they can interfere with the correct alignment of permanent teeth, also trap food debris and be a site of gum infection and inflammation. If they can't move because the permanent tooth is down beside them you may need to have them extracted. What horrified me is people at shows suggesting that, when permanent teeth are only partway down, you let the dog play tug of war with a towel and jerk those baby teeth out, a judge even advised snapping them off like that. I happened to have a little container in my handbag, not removed after a trip to the vet, in which there was two temporary canine teeth from one of my shelties and these proved him wrong in saying the roots weren't very long. There is more in the gum than out of the gum with temporary (and permanent) canines.
We always had them removed by the vet if the both sets of canines were there. Here is what can go wrong with retained teeth. This is Toby's mouth and you can see the hole where his temporary canine had been, also how the permanent one had been pushed forward, thus not allowing the lower canine to come up through the gap where it should. The common term for that upper canine that is pushed forward like that is a lance canine. From memory we just applied gentle pressure every now and then to the top canine and his mouth ended up fine, but that doesn't always happen.
Attached Images

Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Oops I meant to say enjoy them until you have them taken out. Yep those baby teeth can cause problems.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else