Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:17 PM

Unhappy Dog Hates Me

Quick Question...
We Found A Shidtzu Roaming Our Neighborhood, Appeared To Be Abandoned. So We Took Her In.. She Hates Me...at First I Could Pet Her And Cuddle Her, But Now She Growls If I Get Near Her And She Tries To Bite Me When I Pet Her. She Does Not Do This With My Husband Or Children, Just Me. She Plays And Licks And Rolls Over For Belly Rubs With Them. I Don't Understand. Do You Think She Could Be Pregnant And Is Feeling Threatend Because I Am A Female Or What??? Would Love To Love Her!!!! Help
Old April 3rd, 2006, 12:30 AM
Performance Spaniels

The first question would be, did you make any attempt to find the dog's original owners? There could be a family out there llooking for their dog. Secondly you took in a dog you thought to be stray and didn't get it vet checked. Shouldn't have been given a once over fairly soon after you got her, have the vet see if the dog might be pregnant.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:13 AM
Senior Contributor

there was one that went missing somewhere in ottawa I think...
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:15 AM

actually, we placed an ad in the local paper for a week, with no success. secondly, we have taken her to the vet and had a heart worm test done, as well as all vaccines given. at that time we did not think to ask the vet if she was pregnant. it has only been lately that she has really started to dislike me.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:38 AM

I think it's more an issue of respect than likes/dislikes. She sees you as the low member in the pack, which means (in her mind) she gets to make the rules and you don't.

~LM~
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

It is also possible she is finding your body positioning intimidating/threatening and she is reacting out of fear
Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:56 PM
Lucy's daddy

Tell the other members of the family to stop playing or giving any treats/food to him.

Leave the dog with no choice but to get the needed attention, food and treats from YOU. When you're with him don't get down on your knees, don't sit on the floor and don't chase him. Always stand up on top of his head and be very nice when he's being a good boy, yet thicken your voice and be firm when he's doing something wrong.

If he growls or barks, lock your hands, and look up as if he doesn't exist, then walk away. Once he stops, give him lots of praise BUT DON'T GET DOWN. Pet him while standing. it's a bit hard with a Shih-tzu but possible.

I've noticed with Lucy(Shih-Tzu mix) the higher my face, the more obeying she is. Once I even had to get up on the chair and tell her to not chew on the carpet before she stopped! I was trying to not touch or grab her and correct her.

Make sure she has no way of getting fed or played with before YOU make the decision.

She'll grow out of her behavior once she realizes that you're not at the bottom of the ladder but rather at the very top or 2nd to top.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soroush
Tell the other members of the family to stop playing or giving any treats/food to him.

Leave the dog with no choice but to get the needed attention, food and treats from YOU. When you're with him don't get down on your knees, don't sit on the floor and don't chase him. Always stand up on top of his head and be very nice when he's being a good boy, yet thicken your voice and be firm when he's doing something wrong.

If he growls or barks, lock your hands, and look up as if he doesn't exist, then walk away. Once he stops, give him lots of praise BUT DON'T GET DOWN. Pet him while standing. it's a bit hard with a Shih-tzu but possible.

I've noticed with Lucy(Shih-Tzu mix) the higher my face, the more obeying she is. Once I even had to get up on the chair and tell her to not chew on the carpet before she stopped! I was trying to not touch or grab her and correct her.

Make sure she has no way of getting fed or played with before YOU make the decision.

She'll grow out of her behavior once she realizes that you're not at the bottom of the ladder but rather at the very top or 2nd to top.

thank you very much...that is very helpful...hopefully it will work....thanks for all the responses