Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old January 11th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

New additions to the family !!

I would like to welcome our new little additionss!!!

Introducing Patrick and Spogebob my sons 2 new hermit crabs

My DH and son came home with these new additions I quickly had to do a Google search to find out what the needed (living quarters, food).

I have already replaced their "crabitat" as I felt the one they cam home with was much to small, so I got them a shallow clear tote, so they have plenty of room now.
Boy can those 2 make a HUGE mess during the night!!! their crabitiat looked like a storm hit in the morning!!

Any info, advise would be greatly appreciated

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:45 PM
~Cat Servent~

Congrats! Not a big fan of creepy crawlers.... so no advice... but good idea with the tote!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

oh I love hermit crabs!!! man I haven't owned any for over 35 yrs, just make sure you give them a good sized assortment of shells to move into, its amazing and a little gross seeing them without a shell on "moving" day. there are so many fruits that they like, oh and make sure at the end of the feeding day you take the left over food out or they'll get sick from it. umm if I remember, coconut is a good treat, brine shrimp, apples, you buy either canned or pellet form food also for them, commercial feed is what I mean but they love snacks, oh and cuddle bones, like you buy for birds, you can buy broken ones really cheap at feed stores, just keep on in the bottom of the terrarium for them, they need the calcium. any fruits really except for acid ones, like citrus...good luck and pics would be great. I had all of gilligans island names for my group*L*
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
oh I love hermit crabs!!! man I haven't owned any for over 35 yrs, just make sure you give them a good sized assortment of shells to move into, its amazing and a little gross seeing them without a shell on "moving" day. there are so many fruits that they like, oh and make sure at the end of the feeding day you take the left over food out or they'll get sick from it. umm if I remember, coconut is a good treat, brine shrimp, apples, you buy either canned or pellet form food also for them, commercial feed is what I mean but they love snacks, oh and cuddle bones, like you buy for birds, you can buy broken ones really cheap at feed stores, just keep on in the bottom of the terrarium for them, they need the calcium. any fruits really except for acid ones, like citrus...good luck and pics would be great. I had all of gilligans island names for my group*L*
LOL thank you so much Melinda!! I thought they were cute at first, but seem a little creepy when you actually look at them (look like big spiders, and I don't like spiders ) besides one grabed my sweater and wouldn't let go, so now I'm afraid to put them in my hand (don't want to get pinched)

I'll have to get the treats you mentioned, I'm sure they;ll love it

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old January 11th, 2010, 09:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

No pics?! Where are the pics?!?

I've always liked hermit crabs. For crustaceans, they have interesting personalities

So, pics, please

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I'm sorry, I'll have to post some pics on the week-end, as they are being shy right now, and I was told to leave them alone for a few days so they can get used to their new home.

They're funny little things, and boy they get around, in and on everything!! I sneak in and peek at night when they are most active.

Old January 11th, 2010, 09:23 PM
You can call me DOG!

My daughter had 2 hermit crabs when she was little and the one thing I remember is that you have to mist them with water at least once a day too. We kept a little spray bottle of fresh water near the crabitat.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
My daughter had 2 hermit crabs when she was little and the one thing I remember is that you have to mist them with water at least once a day too. We kept a little spray bottle of fresh water near the crabitat.
Yeah, we bought the special expensive crab spray (I found out later that bottled spring water would do )

I read somewhere to use salt water in their water dish, and somewhere else to use bottled spring water, so which is it I'm confused.

Old January 12th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I never used salt water, we had just plain old well water back then, and they don't normally pinch you, just keep your palm flat.
Old January 12th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
I never used salt water, we had just plain old well water back then, and they don't normally pinch you, just keep your palm flat.
Thank you, I've been using bottled spring water (I don't think chlorinated tap water would be a good idea )

This little guy hung on to my sweater so tight, I couldn't get him off ! I didn't want to pull to hard, because I didn't want to hurt him.

Old January 12th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

if he grabs ahold of your sweater again, hold a piece of treat in front of him...he grabs food with the same pincher that he normally holds on with....but he won't if he's verticle
Old January 12th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
if he grabs ahold of your sweater again, hold a piece of treat in front of him...he grabs food with the same pincher that he normally holds on with....but he won't if he's verticle
I'll try that, although they don't seem to interested in food when I feed them?

Old January 12th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

it could be all new to them or they're full....