Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old May 16th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Random Rat Woman

Smile FOUND at Ladyburn Drive in KESWICK, ON. SUNNY IS HOME!

EDIT: I'd like to thank those who took the time to look at Sunnys pictures and/or leave a reply here. Sunny was attracted by the (very expensive) salmon we left out, I think. We have been checking the front and back doors all night and finally we WON!!
We are arranging a vet visit to make sure he is ok, but right now he's so stoned on catnip that we have had to duct tape him to the floor *grin*. We're so happy to have the little man home.

Maer

Sunny is an indoor cat, he went missing late on Friday, May 15 2009. He is approximately 2 years old, and is not wearing a collar. Sunny is an indoor cat, but he has all his claws. He is rather fond of catnip. I don't know how friendly he would be to others/strangers as everyone he knows is family or like family. Sunny has a very unusual meow, it's quite high and short, and for his first year he couldn't actually meow at all. He is an animal rescue cat and has been neutered, but as he is indoors, he has not had any shots in the past while. Sunny has very long legs and he looks almost like he has a marmalade diaper on. He also has a marmalade smudge under his chin.
My children have put up a few signs on local mailboxes, and I will be leaving a message with my vet office, which was closed by the time it sunk in that he was gone. We will be contacting all local vets and animal shelters, but as it's the long weekend nothing will happen until at least Tuesday. That's a long time. My daughter (it's her cat) has gone door to door asking local neighbours if they have seen him (she took a picture with her). She is very distressed right now - we all are. Sunny is a very important part of our family.

Last edited by Maer; May 19th, 2009 at 02:10 AM. Reason: SUNNY HAS BEEN FOUND!!!!
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Maer,Sunny is a beautiful kitty,I sure hope you find him,indoor kitties don't go very far.
Go out at night when things have quieted down,bring a treatbag,he is most likely hovering in someones backyard or hiding in bushes.
Put out something familiar to him and some good smelly food,maybe even a humane cat-trap,if you can borrow one from HS.
Good luck,hope to hear some good news
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Chico is right, indoor kitties don't venture too far from home. Also ask your neighbours to look under their decks and in their sheds. My parents had an indoor kitty hiding under their deck for 5 days and didn't know it. It belonged to people a couple of doors down from them.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Senior Contributor

You can leave out tuna or salmon out. These foods are have strong oders. You can also leave out that has your smell on it, and also something that has his smell on it.

The best times to check are early morning and early evening. These times are quieter. Talk to you neighbours and show them a picture of your cat. They might have seen your cat in the neighboured, but don't know that it is your cat and that he is missing.

I would call and fill out a lost report with your local animal shelter. I would also bring in a picture, so they can attach it to the file. See what depart does Animal Control. It is a Humane Society, is it the city or does the city contract a contracter to do AC...like someone who owns their business.

And to your comment about animal shelters being closed. It is probably only the office that is closed. Animal Control work 24/7 365 days a year. It is a holiday today, but I am working the night on-call shift. Since it is a holiday, today is emerganices only. If someone calls, and says that they have found a stray dog/cat, I will ask them if it is ok for them to hold on to the animal until the morning. Now if they refuse, I will be going to pick the animal and bring it back to the shelter. I would call and speak to animal control. They might have picked up your pet. You might not have able to come and claim your pet, until Tuesday since it is a holiday, but at least you will know that you cat is safe.
Keep us posted.

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; May 18th, 2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Random Rat Woman

Thanks for your reply ACO. So far we have done everything you suggested except for putting out the food/items with our smell on them. I suspect raccoons will get it before Sunny does, but I'll give it a shot. It's just so foreign to me that he isn't coming when we call him.
Our local shelter never replies to messages, even the voice messages left for them. I have never had luck getting in touch with them and it's very upsetting - even more so now as it's a lost pet for me, not one I found. It seems silly for them to not answer when they are there. Tomorrow all the vets will be called and more posters will be put up in suitable locations. I have already sent a message with pictures to the local society, and one vet office which keeps a website and has a lost/found page. The OSPCA says to contact the local shelter - the one which never replies. That's government for you. We went door to door yesterday but had no luck. We did come across two women who feed stray cats. They are within a conceivable distance from our house, so hopefully we'll get luck there.

Maer
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Random Rat Woman

Thanks for the reply Love4. We went around yesterday door to door with Sunny's picture and passing out our phone number. Some people looked like they would do what we asked by checking garage and shed, while others just kind of nodded like they were thinking "AS IF!" I keep thinking about your reply saying that the cat was found under the deck. I hope we are as lucky.

Maer
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Random Rat Woman

Thanks Chico. Yes, Sunny is a beautiful cat and he is much loved with an amazing personality. He's used to us calling him to get treats, so I'm not sure taking the treat bag out will work, but I'm out of ideas otherwise, and trying is free. I will be putting things out tonight which are familiar for him. It was so cold last night, I hope he's someplace warm.

Maer
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Sent to everyone I know in keswick (I am in Sutton)

I hope he is found he is gorgous..
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Random Rat Woman

Thank you so very much!! We just got him home - maybe 1/2 an hour ago - he was out front, I suspect lured by the salmon I put out. He smells a little funky, but he's too loved to let that get in the way *hah*

Thanks again for taking an interest and for passing the word along.

Maer
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wahoo .

I wonder if he was stuck somewhere or decided to venture home because his tummy was empty and the salmon smelled sooooo good.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

GREAT NEWS,thank you for letting us know
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Aww...happy to hear he is back. Seems like the salmon worked. Great news. But I had to laugh at your comment about OSPCA, contacking your local spca and the government. The government does not help the OSPCA or their branches and affliates what so ever. The OSPCA, it's branches and afflicates all rely on donations, fundraising and for the lucky ones, coorprate sponsors. The government forks out our tax dollars to City run shelters, were they euth euth and more euth, the majority do not spay ot nueter their adopted animals, therefore contributing to the pet overpopulation and so on, were is alot of city shelter, there cages are like 40 years old run down cages/run, while the offices have $10 000 dollar equipment and make $25 an hour and it is unionized...so now one gives a crap because sadly they can.

ACO22
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:31 AM
-

ACO22 - Maer said that she contacted the OSPCA and they told her to contact her animal shelter, it is them who handle animal control for her area.....it is them who never return calls.
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
ACO22 - Maer said that she contacted the OSPCA and they told her to contact her animal shelter, it is them who handle animal control for her area.....it is them who never return calls.

yeah, I know that *lol* I was referring to her comment that she thought that head office and their bran/affl received money from the goverment.

As for her local spca, if they do or did handle things this way and I appauled. But I am wondering if she left messages on the office answering machine or did she actually leave a voicemail on the ACO's phone?

It just really bothers me that an AC would treat the public like that. But happy to hear that he is back at home safe and sound.

ACO22
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:17 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post

As for her local spca, if they do or did handle things this way and I appauled.

ACO22
It wasn't the SPCA, it was animal control for the area that did not return the calls.

Tags
cat, keswick, ladyburn drive, missing, reward