Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 6th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

This is a hot topic and, realistically, one that experts have been unable to solve. The fact remains that we need to be aware that there are people who really have absolutely no control over their lives who are barely surviving from day to day. It's nice to think people have choices, but they don't. Everybody, animal and human. should have the right to exist without starvation and pain. They should have safe water and shelter from the extremes of climate. Parents shouldn't have to deny one child food because they are too sick to survive in order to give it to another in an attempt to enable that one to survive. We are fortunate to be able to live a comfortable life. Even from a purely selfish point of view, if we don't help, do you really think the problems will not eventually spill across borders and encompass us all?
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Children and animals are equally innocent and defenseless victims and anyone who abuses either should be killed, because they are toxic waste and not fit to live.
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up

LR, I love the ability you have to sum it up in so few words!
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

short and to the point, that's what I love about you! LMAO, well.. and you're gorgeous puppy
Old July 6th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Mastifflover, you're saying the children of 3rd world countries can do something about their situations? Essentially, you're saying that it's their own faults?!? Just asking
I am not saying that but we do have children in our own country living on the streets and starving with no one to turn to. I really believe we need to clean up our mess before we can help others to clean up theirs. Yes wouldn't it be great if we lived in a perfect world but we don't. Some countries don't want our help thanks to the likes of idiots like G. W. Bush who thinks that the world could not exist without the U.S. and alot of other countries abhor his disrespect of there cultures and his attitude that everyone wants to be american. Unfortunately in the big picture we seem to get clumped in with the U.S. Personally I don't want to be associated with the idiot in the White House, this is nothing against the american people just your president. I also think that alot of these countries need to accept some responsibility for there situations. Before you jump all over me for that comment I think that some of these countries are just corrupt and if you have money and power things are great otherwise they are living in horrendous conditions by no fault of there own.
Old July 6th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

My problem is people keep having kids that cant afford them,t world countries they need to also stop having kids,and about the problem rolling over here,yeah right,obesity is at epidemic proportions in the us,no food problem here....
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I have seen the bull run on a few occassions (On film) and personally I cheered for the Bull and laughed when a runner got hurt (not my normal reaction believe me) just couldn't help it The damn runner asked for it IMHO
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm only saying history repeats itself. When people have nothing to lose and they have to fight to survive, they will start "taking" from those that have it. It's a very basic, primitive concept. You're not going to go after those who have nothing. You're going to feel justified in taking what you need from where its available. Any animal will fight when it's backed into a corner and survival is at stake. If your family was emaciated and dying, what would you do?
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I say each country take care of your own,I do think the us helps out alot of countries and then when it is something people dont agree with,we are so bad...We do alot for other countries,when we should be taken care of stuff here...The us gets a bad rap,but jeez we sure do help alot of people..P.S. Dont care for Bush either......................
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
I say each country take care of your own,I do think the us helps out alot of countries and then when it is something people dont agree with,we are so bad...We do alot for other countries,when we should be taken care of stuff here...The us gets a bad rap,but jeez we sure do help alot of people..P.S. Dont care for Bush either......................
I don't think it's the bad rep from helping people. I think it's from enforcing US beliefs on others. I think it's for "bullying" other coutries ino being their friends. I believe that is how many view the US.

A good quote (probably don't have it right, but...): for every 10 good acts, it only takes one bad act to ruin it. It goes something like that...
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, it's amazing isn't it when you try to help with all good intention. Granted, I know that some help with alterior motives, like establishing business interests, but that's another thread sometime. Best way to lose a friend is to loan them money. They end up resenting you when they have problems paying it back. Best thing is to give it outright if you want to preserve the friendship.
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

That is true about the bullying in...And as far as this whole iraq thing TIME TO GET OUT.........................................How many more have to die.......................Just had to say that about Iraq.........................
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

That's another thread for another time honey!!! Let's not go there.
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

hee!!! hee!!! TRUE TRUE.........
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

To conclude this debate We are all very lucky to live in a country where food is readily available,where noone has to watch their babies die of starvation,as in Somalia and other 3rd world countries.
I thank my lucky star I was born on the right side of the world and we owe it to 3rd world countries to help out.
It's not only the US who is helping,every rich country in the world has to do their share,I am not sure but I think it's part of NATO.But the US makes the loudest noise
Now,what I really resent is CEO's in this country making 10 million dollars/year,while some workers slave away for $7/hour.
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:22 PM

Well, IMHO the poverty in North America is not really comparable to that experienced in many parts of the world. The difference is that the United States (and Canada for that matter) have social services for people in need that is not available for people, say in Africa. We have subsidized health care, housing, welfare, unemployment insurance, etc. (not saying it's perfect but at least it's something) that people in developing nations do not have. They really lack any social networks to protect them. I also agree with sammiec, part of the problem is that the foreign policy in the U.S often seeks to enforce their cultural beliefs and often come off as 'bullying'.
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I do believe the right thing is to help out,but you do have to try and help yourself also,that goes back to stop having children......................And yes i am soooo happy to be living in the u s a........................You are right about that......
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:24 PM

Amen Chico, what really gets me is when corporations exploit the poverty of these people...setting up factories in their countries and paying them $1/day making the argument that it is consistent with the daily wage. Such as Nike who then turns around and sells the product for $90.
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
Now,what I really resent is CEO's in this country making 10 million dollars/year,while some workers slave away for $7/hour.
wonderful work!! I just wanted to add this:

And "professional" sports player that bring home ridiculous amounts of money, Oprah, Bill Gates, Aaron Spelling (LOL) They are all worth billions - what can they possibly do with all that money is their lifetime. Some can spread the wealth with their children I guess, but there's enough for like 6 generations of their own family and the money's still poring in!!! Send some to other countries that would actually be greatful for that money and help people starving and suffering. I'm sure they would pray for the same if the tables were turned!
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

God i know,these actors make an insane amount of money,that is crazy...
Old July 6th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't think you can include Oprah and Bill Gates in that since they do give millions to charities and Oprah is building a school in Africa and numerous other things she does with her money. She does give back,so does Gates but they do deserve recognition for it since so many others in there income bracket don't.
Old July 6th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I saw that oprah show when she went there,yeah she does do alot and i have read about all the millions gates donates...........
Old July 6th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Mastifflover,You are right,many times money from charitable organizations ended up in the hands of ruthless dictators,to build armys to destroy the very people we want to help.
Fortunately today,most oranizations follow their money and make sure it ends up helping.
I have great admiration for DWB,Doctors without borders,they do incredible work,in horrific conditions and with little medicin,they are heroes in my eyes and they come from all of the world.
I just heard on the news,this year 3 million people will die from AIDS half of them children and it could be so easily prevented,most of them are in Africa.
Oprah and Bill Gates do charitable work,most of it tax deductable,it looks good on them,but still all of them could do more....
Old July 6th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Just have to mention that Bill Gates does give more than any other philanthropist, however, he's also benefitting. With all the computer equipment and software he's donated to colleges, students are imprinted with the Microsoft technology which they'll go on to buy and use in years to come.
Old July 7th, 2004, 03:49 AM

Whoa! This thread went from naked people to Oprah to Bill Gates.

It began with killing dogs for food. Nasty stuff.

The sale and killing of it (IT is ANY Animal) on the streets of "anywhere". Yup, that's sick, BUT the wholesale breeding and slaughtering and the way the animals live is what you should be focusing on. I guess I'm saying, if you want to complain, if you eat ANY animal you have no right to be upset about another's culture. Shut up or put up.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Old July 7th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I know that they do help out, but what I meant was that Bill and Oprah both are worth BILLIONS, what can they possibly do with that money! I would give like 100 million away - you'd never miss it. Building a school house looks good on her, but it costs her pennies...
Old July 7th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes Sammiec,together with her photo-ops,handing out toys to poor little kids,makes her somewhat of an angel
But then again,one school opening is better than no school,100 kids fed,is 100 less kids dying of starvation,even though it's a drop in a bucket.
All these billionaires should get together and really do something,get medicin,get water irrigation and wells,help the people help themselves,all they need is a start.....
But there are millions and millions of people needing help...
I remember when I was a kid(a few yrs ago )my mother used to say"Remember all the starving children in the world!!"when I would not finish my food.I would answer"I'll mail them my dinner!"
Old July 7th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm just sitting here thinking . . . . not necessarily deep thinking . . but
. . All these pet food companies that produce products for our pets that contain all the nutrition they need . . .
. . . . why can't they produce something for people. I know that sounds demeaning, but when it comes to starvation, wouldn't something like that be wonderful that was easy to transport and could supply all the nutrients until other issues could be addressed to help them?
Old July 7th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

yay go PETA. excellent to see people standing up against what they feel is important, may not be such a high priority for others but is for those individuals and i love people standing up for what they believe, not enough of that goes on these days.
other countires problems, well clean up your own backyard before you start on others, BUT having said that i also believe in thinking globally and acting locally. just because someone is on the other side of the world does not mean they are any different to me, i was just born in the right country, but that could have been different for all of us and we need to remember that, also not everyone has good agricultural lands, good water or soils etc etc. the list goes on, we must always remember how kind fate has been to us all.

quote 'Well if you want the truth i think the first thing we should do for other countries besides feeding them,is to send them birth control..'.

the problems of such countires are very indepth and often based on a social system totally opposite to ours, i think you should consider this when judging the actions of others and especially the woman of those countries, walk a mile in their shoes (probably dont have any) and all that.
and as far as protesting naked, yahoooo love naked people. a great way to get attention, doesnt matter what sort, as long as you get it. i have protested naked in the past, in 2002 i sat with 1500 other naked woman(only woman) on a hill over looking the town of Byron Bay, our bodies formed the words NO WAR. it was just fantastic, beautiful, and got all the media coverage needed, our message got across, the woman of the area did not want war. simple. it can be a very effective means of protest, as far as im concerned what ever works getting your voice out there, do it.
Old July 7th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I just believe same goes here in the usa,stop popping out all these kids you cannot feed,or clothe...Then collect welfare from people like me who works hard,no kids,and couldnt get help if i ever wanted it because i dont have 7 kids............................