Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:29 AM

My Boxer just collapsed this morning

We woke up around 6:30 am and as usual I was walking my Boxer toward the back door for him to go outside to potty. All of sudden he just collapsed lying on the floor with his eyes open but not moving. It really freaked me out and of course I started to cry as I was trying to console him and yet urge him to get back up. It was as if he suffered a mild stroke or something. within about five minutes he was up, very responsive, and within a few more minutes went outside briefly. He returned inside and even ate. I found that during his episode he must have urinated as there was a wet spot on my carpet. I called the Vet at 7:30 am and have an appointment at 2:30 pm today. New member just looking for feedback..............
Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:35 AM
-

You may be right, how old is he?
Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:47 AM

He is 9 yrs old no real previous problems all check-ups have been good bill of health thus far except he had a tumor removed about 4 yrs ago. Tumors are common among Boxer breeds. I will post again this evening to let everyone know what the Vet says.

thanks, kiwi
Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:49 AM
-

Yes, please do, good luck.
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:08 PM

my boxer collapsed too

Kiwi hi i just read your post from december. I too had the same problem with my boxer this morning, almost exactly the same thing except I saw him collapse, it was after I was walking in the door, he was overly excited, he collapsed, urinated and a few minutes later completely fine, but a bit shell shocked. I called the vet and they said to just watch his behavior for the day and call if anythin unusual occurs. He seemed fine. May I ask what the final diagnosis and prognosis was for your boxer?

oh my boxer is 2 years old
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bce360
Kiwi hi i just read your post from december. I too had the same problem with my boxer this morning, almost exactly the same thing except I saw him collapse, it was after I was walking in the door, he was overly excited, he collapsed, urinated and a few minutes later completely fine, but a bit shell shocked. I called the vet and they said to just watch his behavior for the day and call if anythin unusual occurs. He seemed fine. May I ask what the final diagnosis and prognosis was for your boxer?

oh my boxer is 2 years old
The vet didn't ask you to go in and have a blood panel done ?

Epilepsy must be outruled here, as well as many other things (a tumor, a heart problem, etc.).
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds more like a seizure then a stroke.
Old July 5th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Senior Contributor

I would think epilepsy a possibility for the 2yr old. but doubtful for the 9yr old. I too am surprised the vet didn't want to at least do a blood test and listen to his heart.
Old July 5th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Glasslass - I didn't say epilepsy - I said a seizure. The two are not always related.
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Sudden Collapse of a dog. Any Dog.

In the case of the Boxers, a seizure is of course possible. However the vet is the first stop and do get full blood work done which includes a CBC (Blood Count) including platelet numbers. If possible and ultra sound and X Ray would be advisable. There are many cases when their are no outward signs at all and sudden collapse takes place. It may be an internal bleed from a burst tumour and in the case of small bleeds which very often stop as quick as they started, the animal will just get up and carry on. But it will happen again. If you have any doubt get a second opinion . If you are in Canada, contact the veterinary dept at the University of Guelph for advise. There is a reason. somewhere. One thing I notice is missing in the posting, How were his gums, When a dog is in distress the gums will generally, but not always go very pale or even white in serious cases as with my Siberian Husky and this is why we can say, He is very pale, I would also suggest that if an animal COLLAPSES take it without dealy to the vet as it is an Emergency and not a thing that should wait for an appointment. I am not a vet but this has been drilled into me by my vet over the years and I have one that will respond without delay 24/7

Hope this helps a bit , Let us all know the results , its very important to us all, so we can learn too. God Bless and Good Luck.
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott
Glasslass - I didn't say epilepsy - I said a seizure. The two are not always related.
Opps! I jumped to conclusions because I had a poodle that had occasional epileptic seizures. Sorry!
Old July 6th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass
Opps! I jumped to conclusions because I had a poodle that had occasional epileptic seizures. Sorry!

S'alright.