Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 26th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Compromised account

Sparky's food - your opinions!!

Hi,
So as some of you know, we got our new baby. He came with a whole bunch of stuff, and of course his food.
The food they were giving him is Royal Canin Mini Puppy 33.
the contents are as follows:

chicken meal, brown rice, chicken, corn gluten meal, chicken fat, brewers rice, dried egg powder, natural chicken flavour, dried beet pulp(sugar removed), anchovy oil, brewer's yeast, potassium chloride.....theres a whole bunch of vitamins, B12, B6, B1, folic acid, blah blah blah (too lazy to list it all..)

I am a little confused when it comes to foods , so I would truly appreciate if you could tell me what you think about this food, have you had experience with it...
Should I be switching? There is about 2 thirds of the small bag left, so now would be the time to introduce new food. I am a big believer in preventative measures, especially with pups.
Please keep in mind that Sparky is a small breed, a mix of Maltese and Pomeranian.
Thank you in advance!!
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennieV View Post
Hi,
So as some of you know, we got our new baby. He came with a whole bunch of stuff, and of course his food.
The food they were giving him is Royal Canin Mini Puppy 33.
the contents are as follows:

chicken meal, brown rice, chicken, corn gluten meal, chicken fat, brewers rice, dried egg powder, natural chicken flavour, dried beet pulp(sugar removed), anchovy oil, brewer's yeast, potassium chloride.....theres a whole bunch of vitamins, B12, B6, B1, folic acid, blah blah blah (too lazy to list it all..)

I am a little confused when it comes to foods , so I would truly appreciate if you could tell me what you think about this food, have you had experience with it...
Should I be switching? There is about 2 thirds of the small bag left, so now would be the time to introduce new food. I am a big believer in preventative measures, especially with pups.
Please keep in mind that Sparky is a small breed, a mix of Maltese and Pomeranian.
Thank you in advance!!

I've had all kinds of advice from here, someone knowledgeable will be on to give you excellent information.

Last edited by Ford; September 11th, 2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Molly's mama

Jennie, good for you for taking an interest in your dog's nutritional health. You are a step ahead of most dog owners.
This is a really good dog food website that I found. Here is the link to what they have to say about Royal Canin Mini Puppy 33
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...uct=1530&cat=5
it gives it a 3 star rating. I would recommend switching foods. Wellness and Solid Gold are both dependable brands IMHO.

That website (Dog Food Analysis) has reviews of pretty much all dog foods and tells you Pros and Cons of each, and also gives them a star rating (1 star being worst and 6 star being best)
good luck!
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Geek Club CEO

We've got all our dogs including our 12 week old puppy, and our cats on Orijen.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)

Last edited by Ford; September 11th, 2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Compromised account

Thanks so much! thats what I was looking to hear, I knew it couldn't be good, but since he just came into our home I felt that a drastic change would have been very difficult. I will be switching, just needed more information.

Any more responses will be VERY appreciated! I know that there is a gold mine of information here , so I am really thankful!
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Molly's mama

glad to be of help!
just make sure when you do switch, make it gradual. Otherwise it could upset his little tummy!
Old August 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM

heres the honest truth.
Royal canin (breed specific foods and so on) are mediocre foods.. they dont have the greatest ingredients, however the breed specific foods have certain ingredients that certain breeds are looking for.
If you were to find a brand that made breed specific food with human grade ingredients that would be perfect.
Personally, I feed my friend Blue buffalo wilderness.. he has tons of energy and loves it.

As far as dogfoodanalysis.com goes, they do not rate all of the kinds of food.
Depending on the $ you want to spend, there are many high quality brands available.
Check out sites such as k9cuisine.com.. depending on needs you can find foods with main proteins available from chicken to beef to possum to kangaroo.
Keep your options open.
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Compromised account

I was also wondering if maybe someone could point me in the direction of the store that sells the good stuff, as I only know of one, which is pOinte-Claire and its about 40-50 minutes drive for me, completely out of my way and needs to be scheduled in advance, which is not very convenient.
I live in the very east end of Montreal, St. Leonard, so if someone could let me know where to go - I would also apprecialte that very much!
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:46 AM
-

Quote:
I live in the very east end of Montreal, St. Leonard, so if someone could let me know where to go - I would also apprecialte that very much!
What would be easier for you is to choose a food that interest you (well , not you I mean the dog ) and go on their website to check out their store locator.
Old August 27th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Compromised account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
What would be easier for you is to choose a food that interest you .
the whole thing is that I don't know WHAT interests me, I know! I wanted to go to a store and compare options that they have. As in benefits vs cons...That's also why I asked for opinions about puppy food, so that I have something to bounce off. I know that Purina and all these brands are no good, but I don't know where to begin, what names, what companies, what's better for the dog... I think I may take a drive to Pointe Claire one day this week, because when we saw the guy about Max's problem with allergies to food, he was super-helpful and really knowledgeable.
Old August 27th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
the whole thing is that I don't know WHAT interests me, I know! I wanted to go to a store and compare options that they have. As in benefits vs cons...That's also why I asked for opinions about puppy food, so that I have something to bounce off. I know that Purina and all these brands are no good, but I don't know where to begin, what names, what companies, what's better for the dog... I think I may take a drive to Pointe Claire one day this week, because when we saw the guy about Max's problem with allergies to food, he was super-helpful and really knowledgeable.
can you tell us what he sugested??
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:41 PM

try something without corn, glueten, soy, etc. no by products or grain free would also be good with allergies.
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Half Way To Crazy

they also say that with food allergies or intolerance it is better to go with a "novelty protien" like duck or venison. not a protien that is common like beef or chicken or lamb..
Old August 27th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Compromised account

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
can you tell us what he sugested??
Well, back then he put Max on duck food, I can never remember the name until I see the bag, Natural Balance I think...It helped greatly and we have not any problems with the cat since... So like I said, I may just go and see him, or call and se what he suggests.
Old August 27th, 2008, 04:59 PM

Hi Jennie, I'm no expert, but I'm a Natura brand girl myself. I was feeing Evo but switched to Innova. My cats are also on a mix of wet Evo and dry California Naturals which are both Natura products. We don't have a huge selection where I live either so I went with what I felt was the best that was available at manageable prices... Evo was a bit too pricey for me, and Innova has some grain but not much from what I can tell. I used to be a Canidae fan but am a bit wary since they're now being manufactured by a larger company, Diamond Foods.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." -Unknown

Mom to:
Sola: 18 month old black lab/malamute
Luna: 2 year old Siberian Husky (rescue)
Millie: 2.5 year old tabby (rescue)
Layla: ?? year old calico (rescue)

Former mom to (RIP):
Nicole: Maine Coon cat 1985-1999
Poncho: Degu
Bibi: Degu
Josette: St. Bernard, childhood pet
Old August 27th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampbell21 View Post
try something without corn, glueten, soy, etc. no by products or grain free would also be good with allergies.

JennieV you could look into Orijen Puppy. I use the adult Orijen Fish Formula and it gets a lot of good reviews! Its 75% meat..25% Fruits & Veg..no grain, no by products, and no gluten...here is the web site...there is a food analysis and white paper that you can have a look at. Food is so tough to wrap your head around!

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/orijen/

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I also found the www.dogfoodanalysis.com site a great tool !
I have switched Buddy to Wellness core since reviewing the site , and he's doing great!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:24 AM

I have tried EVERYTHING! I have tried Wellness, Orijen, EVO, Nutros, FROMM, Halo and Merrick. Just last week, I bought Solid Gold (Just a Wee Bit) and they love it! You may want to try a Solid Gold product for puppies.
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KB View Post
I have tried EVERYTHING! I have tried Wellness, Orijen, EVO, Nutros, FROMM, Halo and Merrick. Just last week, I bought Solid Gold (Just a Wee Bit) and they love it! You may want to try a Solid Gold product for puppies.
Yes Solid Gold "barking at the moon" (I think it's called) is a 6 star, on the dog food analysis, so it's a great food, and it's grain free!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM
-

I feed both my dogs Orijen and they do well on it. Here are a couple of great websites for information:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/ ....also click on the links on the left hand side of the page.

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html ....click on the blue and purple highlighted places for additional information.
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Compromised account

Ok, so I went for a consultation and was advised to go with food called "NOW!", by Petcurean, made right here in Canada and by the description a better one for the puppy than the Orijen, as it is a little lower on the protein, still grain-free and sounds like a really interesting possibility.
its made with 100% fresh meat, fresh vegetables and fruits and no grains. I bought it, he seems to like it, so we will see how he is doing.

This is the link to the description...I think it is good, and it is well-priced too...So I am relieved, no more "Real Crap" .
http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=157

Any comments??
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Very good choice! Petcurean's "Now!" and "Go"! are both great foods IMO. I just never used them because the stores near me only seem to have them in off and on...Orijen is just much easier for me to find on a regular basis. Since your store has it and your pup likes it, sounds like a great choice!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Compromised account

Thanks CM!!
Old August 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Geek Club CEO

We use Go! canned food with our gang too, they all love it.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Compromised account

A little concerned...

Ok, so by now, Sparky is entirely on the new food.
He eats well and the only thing I am a little concerned about is that he started having a bit of a gas problem. Is it something that I should be worried about?? Do you think he isn't digesting well? His poops are good and he goes regularly, about 2 to 3 times in the morning, sometimes he does once at noon, and then 2 to 3 times at night.
I am a little confused, because Tarzan used to only go once-twice a day. Occasionally, he would go 2 or 3 times in one session, but Sparky almost all the time does at least 2 per walk. Is that too much?? Like I said, the poops are good consistency and color, he is lively, plays and sleeps well, but has some gas.
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:46 AM
-

I'm no expert by far Jennie, but I think that going so many times in one day is a lot. I would be interested to hear what others have to say. My guys go about twice a day and maybe when I let them out late at night, I can't see then.
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Half Way To Crazy

could you answer some questions??

how many times are you feeding him
how much are you feeding him
does he eat very fast
how old is he again I seem to have forgotten
how much does he weight.
is he very active right after he eats..

Archer is on "NOW" but not puppy food he is on adult due to the fat and protein content.. some dogs do not do well over a certain amount of protein and fat content..
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Compromised account

Hi breese, I answered your questions below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
could you answer some questions??

how many times are you feeding him - food is freely available to him, I dont remove it
how much are you feeding him - about 1 cup a day
does he eat very fast - he nibbles mostly, doesnt finish all at once, but will eat more in the evening
how old is he again I seem to have forgotten - almost 4 months
how much does he weight. - approx. 7 lbs (per vet visit about a week ago)
is he very active right after he eats.. - he is playful, sometimes he will grab a bite and run with it..sometimes roll it on the floor and pounce, I walk away and not play with him during that time, but he seems to entertain himself

Archer is on "NOW" but not puppy food he is on adult due to the fat and protein content.. some dogs do not do well over a certain amount of protein and fat content..
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Hi breese, I answered your questions below:
Archer goes about 3 times a day and is fed 3 times a day.. bree goes 2 times a day and is fed twice a day (with treats in between)

when bree was younger she had terrible gas.. so bad she would not eat, I changed her food cause I thought it might be the food..I also gave her some bio yogurt to help with digestion..it helped until her system got use to her new food..

not sure if it was the food or just her digestive system..
Old September 12th, 2008, 01:34 PM
NOT a senior member

I think it depends on the dog, my Petie is pretty gassy at seven months old, and is a regular pooping machine. I can always depend on him making a deposit just about every time he goes outside. He eats a variety of quality commercial foods such as Innova, Orijen, Wellness, Go Natural, Merrick, and Wellness...as well as green tripe. I like to add variety to their meals if their GI system can handle it.

My other dogs go maybe two or so times daily...but dear Petie goes probably about six times a day. Healthy poops...just lots. But then everything Petie does, he does in a BIG way.....

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......