Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old July 31st, 2008, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

It's not because I disklike dogs you jerk.

I went to the Petco I go to on my way home yesterday to pick up some food for the gang. This Petco usually has this rescue come in a couple of times a week and they let them have a table in the entrance and they have puppies and dogs in a sectioned off area. When you walk in there's always someone asking for donations.

Yesterday I just didn't have the money to give. I've been struggling lately and really didn't have any spare cash to give. I walk in and when the girl asks me for a donation I say "sorry I can't."

Well, I guess she saw my Chococat purse and assumed I liked cats. She shouted out to me, "We have cats too you know if that's what you like."

WTH!!!!

I stopped dead in my tracks, turned around and walked to the table. I got in her face and said "Since you are assuming I didn't donate because I don't like dogs, I'll answer you by telling you I love dogs, and cats. I happen to have 5 cats that I feed high quality food to and today I just don't have enough money to give to your charity. I'm sure you will get plenty of money from strangers to feed your dogs and cats, I however have to spend my money on my own cats, because I can't ask for donations here for them."

I turned got a few cans of food and left. That really frosted my butt. She didn't have to first, assume I didn't give her money because I hated dogs, second she also didn't have to shout that out so the whole store could hear. Something similar happened to me a few months ago outside a grocery store because I didn't have a dollar to buy a candy bar or cookies, I can't even remember what! Unless you KNOW someone else's financial situation, you should keep your assumptions to yourself.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Dont she realize its callled A donation????!!! You dont HAVE to give them money! Stuff like this rotts my A*s..
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:04 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Big time ! A complaint should be put in and that person should not be able to ask for donations any more at puplic places. JMO

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

I would have said something, but I know that rescue is there a lot and I didn't want to jeopardize them being able to keep coming because of one stupid person.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old July 31st, 2008, 11:38 AM
~Cat Servent~

Man... you would think the 'sorry I can't' would have said it all.... what a ! Just because you are there to buy food for your pets doesn't mean you can always afford to buy it for others too! I always feel guilty enough that I don't have anything to give... without someone yelling it across a store!!

I'm glad you went back and stood up for yourself! Maybe she'll think twice before berating someone else!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:52 AM
Kitty pimp

thats is very inappropritate we are told to say hello and not even ask gor a donation when we are at the petco if they want to donate they know where the jar is . we say hi and what a niooce doggie but thats all
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:57 AM
-

I absolutly know what you're talking about ! Almost every week there's a stand (that is placed where you just can't avoid it) at the grocery store I go too , different associations. Then you get to the cashier who asks you if you want to donate to another charity ... it's getting a bit too much ! I give when I can , if I can't , I told them I already donated.
Old July 31st, 2008, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I went to the Petco I go to on my way home yesterday to pick up some food for the gang. This Petco usually has this rescue come in a couple of times a week and they let them have a table in the entrance and they have puppies and dogs in a sectioned off area. When you walk in there's always someone asking for donations.

Yesterday I just didn't have the money to give. I've been struggling lately and really didn't have any spare cash to give. I walk in and when the girl asks me for a donation I say "sorry I can't."

Well, I guess she saw my Chococat purse and assumed I liked cats. She shouted out to me, "We have cats too you know if that's what you like."

WTH!!!!

I stopped dead in my tracks, turned around and walked to the table. I got in her face and said "Since you are assuming I didn't donate because I don't like dogs, I'll answer you by telling you I love dogs, and cats. I happen to have 5 cats that I feed high quality food to and today I just don't have enough money to give to your charity. I'm sure you will get plenty of money from strangers to feed your dogs and cats, I however have to spend my money on my own cats, because I can't ask for donations here for them."

I turned got a few cans of food and left. That really frosted my butt. She didn't have to first, assume I didn't give her money because I hated dogs, second she also didn't have to shout that out so the whole store could hear. Something similar happened to me a few months ago outside a grocery store because I didn't have a dollar to buy a candy bar or cookies, I can't even remember what! Unless you KNOW someone else's financial situation, you should keep your assumptions to yourself.

AMEN X 2! I'm glad you said something to her!
Old July 31st, 2008, 01:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I feel guilty when I can't give. I always think, what if I hadn't found any of mine, who would give them food? But the fact is, you can't always give.

I take care of mine, and when I to to Petsmart, I usually just give the dollar for pet shelters when you pay with a credit card or atm, and at Petco, I always try to round up also for shelter pets. I feel bad enough not being able to give more, but dammit all if some snot nose is going to make me guilty the day I really can't afford to donate anything. Bah!

Old July 31st, 2008, 01:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I absolutly know what you're talking about ! Almost every week there's a stand (that is placed where you just can't avoid it) at the grocery store I go too , different associations. Then you get to the cashier who asks you if you want to donate to another charity ... it's getting a bit too much ! I give when I can , if I can't , I told them I already donated.
I do that ALL THE TIME. Sheesh, you give when you can -- I hate it when they make you feel like the scum of the earth because you don't have any $ to spare.
A children's charity called me at home last week (I make it a point NEVER NEVER NEVER to give any money to any charity that calls you at home...NEVER. As if telemarketers weren't enough). And the lady is going on and on about the underpriviledged children, and I kept cutting her off and saying I didn't have any $ to send to her charity, and she says : «you don't have a SINGLE DOLLAR to spare for CHILDREN, CHILDREN IN DESPERATE NEED??». I felt like Crap (I still hung up on her face though...)
Ugh.

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old July 31st, 2008, 01:49 PM
-

That girl was downright rude

I would write a letter to the organization and hopefully they will reprimand her.
Old July 31st, 2008, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
That girl was downright rude

I would write a letter to the organization and hopefully they will reprimand her.
I have seen the owner there. She's just as bad! She got me once, before I had Maks and Oksana, I was still in the "no pets" apartment. She practically threw this stray into my arms. She was the sweetest cat, had been declawed and she was in a cage with a little kitten. She made me feel like dirt because I couldn't adopt them. But she wanted $65 at the time for them and I honestly just didn't have the money, not to mention it was hard enough hiding Vlad and Oksana in my apartment, but then having to hide two more cats?

Even when I told her I'd think about it, she gave me this daggers look.

I get that sometimes people in these kind of organizations sometimes have to be a little pushy, I get it. But when someone tells you they can't, being rude just sours anybody to give you anything in the future.

Old July 31st, 2008, 02:25 PM
Kitty pimp

hmm your giving me ideas here next adopton day im gonna print some bumer stickers that says "cat hater" and stick them on everyones back that doesnt cough up some dough

the stupid thing about it is that i get a lot more donations by just being friendly than being aggresive
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Just like the old addage -- you attract more flies with honey than vinegar...

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Yep, I'm more apt to give a donation if someone is nice and not pushy. It's like when you go shopping. Nothing turns me off more than a sales person following me around the store.

In the past, I've donated even when I shouldn't have because I just couldn't afford it, but the people asking were nice. Those were my BTG days though, (before the gang). Nowadays, as I imagine with everyone else, you really have to watch your pennies for yourself. It's sad so many people just can't give as much as they used to or want to.

Old August 4th, 2008, 11:25 AM
We're a dog's best friend

Red face >:(

I cant stand people like that!!!!
I was once coming out of a shop with loadza big boxes, and i had no spare hands, and they literally stood in front of me shaking the money box!!!!

Its the nice people of the world that make a difference, not idiots

Soter