Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 25th, 2004, 10:14 AM

weights of dogs

Hi, I was just wondering if someone could tell me a good weight for my terrior poodle cross. She is 4yrs old. She weights about 13-14 pounds. To me she looks fine, my mom on the other hand thinks she looks thin because she is quite thin in her back half and when you pet her you can feel her back bone. My moms dog she had years ago when I grew up was over weight so I am wondering if she thinks, because my dog Olive is thin, that she is under weight. She has been this weight for the last 2 years or so and the vet has never mentioned that she might be on the thin side. She is fairly active as well. I really don't think this is a problem but I guess I am just looking for someone to agree with me and to tell me this is an ok weight for her.
Thanks agian for replies, Olive3322
Old August 25th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

How tall at the shoulders is she? And how long? Den-Den is a miniature poodle and is 12" high and 12" from his collar to the base of his tail. He weighs 14 lb. I think he is at an ideal weight. Poodles do have a deep chest and a small waist. In proportion to her size, does she have a delicate or sturdy bone frame? I think Den-Den's tends to be small, but not delicate. You can feel his backbone, but it doesn't protrude. Pictures?
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:36 PM

Olive is about 13'' high and 15'' long. Her frame is on the smaller side but she is not overly delicate (she thinks she is!!). And with her, I can feel her backbone when i pet her but it doesn't stick out. If/when I figure out how to add a picture I will add one on!! Thanks again for your replies.