Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 28th, 2004, 09:35 PM

Eye Infection????????

My dog (Allie) is a hound mix. In the last couple of days I noticed her right eye becoming watery. When I got up today her eye was red and she had a yellow substance running from it. I don't know very much about eye infections and I am not even sure if there is more than one kind. My vet is not very honest and keeps making me do many unnecessary tests everytime I have a problem with her. I will be taking her there soon but I was wondering if anyone else knows anything about this as if I go into my vet un-educated I will end up spending another $400 before medication. She does swim quite often in a local river at the dog park and I am wondering if it that may be the reason for this problem. It is not considered to be a really clean river but all the other dogs frequently swim in it without any problems. Is it dangerous to medicate your dog for an eye infection without being diagnosed? Is this something she could of contracted from another dog since she is in close contact with many of them everyday? My vet will really try to screw me so I am just wondering before I pursure anything.
Old October 28th, 2004, 09:59 PM

Yup sounds like an eye infection. Go to your pharmacist and ask for polysporin eye ointment its usually behind the counter. Give a try for a few days and see if it clears up. Use your finger or a q-tip to put it in her eye...its a real PIA! Chances are it will work.

If it doesn't clear up go see a GOOD vet!! Where are you? Maybe someone here can recommend one.
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:03 PM

I am in London ON. It seems though that I get better advice on this website than at my vet!!!!!!!!!They always tell me to bring her in when I call them with a question (which is 50 bucks just to walk in EVERYTIME). They won't give me any advice on the phone at all.
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:09 PM

Well it's a business just like any other

Let us know how it turns out. Mot eye infections are pretty weak and clear up on their own anyway.
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:22 PM

The usually clear up naturally? I will take your advice and try the eye ointment. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Call your vet!

Would you self medicate your own eye's with an obvious infection?

Certain drugs when applied to the eye can cause major problems you would not wish on your worse enemy...
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:39 PM

I will call them first thing in the morning before I treat her with anything but it is always good to know other options your vet would not normally offer. Sometimes there are very simple and less expensive things you can do for things like this that will not be offered by your vet unless you ask specifically. This is why I wanted more information before I call them or go in. That way I will be as educated as I can be before I dish out a lot of money. Don't get me wrong...if there is no alternative I will spend the money for her well-being but if there is another option available I would like to know!
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin
Call your vet!

Would you self medicate your own eye's with an obvious infection?

Certain drugs when applied to the eye can cause major problems you would not wish on your worse enemy...
Pink eye is pink eye is pink eye. The chances of it being anything more serious are highly unlikely.

I also treat my children's pinkeye with over the counter polysporin

Veterinarians are great if its something serious, but you know what........... they often don't have all the answers anyway.

BTW my 8 year old Aussie has a small lump on her chest and we're just keeping an eye on it.............. no vet until our next check up
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:42 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Katrina,

If you are willing to drive 40 min from London, a good vet to go to is Ostrander Veterinary Clinic. Their prices are very reasonable and they are excellent!! We've been going there for about 20 years! No kidding. They do have clients from London!

An examination is about $30.00 plus your meds. They are really really good.

They are located just off of Hwy #19 outside of Tillsonburg. About 20 minutes from Ingersoll. Call them 842-4875. It's worth the drive.

My dog sees only one vet - her name is Karla. But Allison and Julie are very good as well.
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Senior Contributor

You definitely need to switch vets if you feel he is ripping you off and there are some sleazy vets out there. If you find a good vet it is worth the drive. You will save the money from those unnecessary tests.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 29th, 2004, 01:01 PM

Someone else also told me that treating the eye with celine (is that how you spell it?) anyways it is basically a mild mix of salt and water boiled together and then cooled down. They said that it cannot harm the dog but if it is only an irritation to something it will help clean it up. It is like eye drops for humans. It is possible that something happened while swimming in the river this week so I am going to try that first to see if it helps.
I called my vet today and they said they would not spak about anything over the phone with me and that I would have to come in for tests($$$). I think I will call the vet you mentioned as I am not getting much help right now from mine.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina5256
Someone else also told me that treating the eye with celine (is that how you spell it?) anyways it is basically a mild mix of salt and water boiled together and then cooled down. They said that it cannot harm the dog but if it is only an irritation to something it will help clean it up. It is like eye drops for humans. It is possible that something happened while swimming in the river this week so I am going to try that first to see if it helps.
I called my vet today and they said they would not spak about anything over the phone with me and that I would have to come in for tests($$$). I think I will call the vet you mentioned as I am not getting much help right now from mine.
Thanks for everyone's help.
You mean saline. Yes it might help but not as fast as an antibiotic cream will.
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:40 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Call Ostrander Vet!!! It should be a local call from London.
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:35 AM

Hi,
Just wondering how close is London to Guelph? Guelph has some awsome Vets.... and teaching schools, where you get a huge break on the price, if you are willing to have your animal Vetted by a student (overseen by an actual Vet).
Old October 31st, 2004, 12:44 PM

I talked to the pharmacist after my vet the other day and he said there was nothing in plysporin eye drops that could harm Allie even if it was not an eye infection. To my luck the two pharmacists working both had been in my situation before with their dogs and recommended the stuff. Now 2 days later her eye is all cleared up and it only cost me $10. Thanks for the advice guys, it saved me a lot of money.
Old October 31st, 2004, 02:18 PM

cool
Old October 31st, 2004, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

a good and nice vet should let you ring in and ask a Q about an illness, i ring my vet, describe it, he says either nope bring her in i need to see her, or he might say oh yes i know that one, she had that yrs ago, pop in and get some meds. he is lovely and tries to help his goal is not to rob me blind. find antother vet, and i would go and telkl your current vet he is a bit of a tool and an unhelpful one at that, money hungry @#$%^&%, makes me so mad
Old October 31st, 2004, 07:04 PM

Melanie, I agree my vet always calls me right back if I have a question. She doesn't want me wasting a trip (30min) when I can handle it myself and will tell me what to watch for. FOR no charge. But there are others closer by that would insist I bring in my pet. Just like your own Dr. you have to look around
Old October 31st, 2004, 07:25 PM
Senior Contributor

in my post wehre it says @#$^%& theres no word under there, i just thought it a good way to express, so dont think im swearing or something ok, lovelies
Old October 31st, 2004, 08:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Mel! We all know YOU'D never swear!!
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:17 AM

Treating eye infection in a dog

Yes seems steep for me to pay $80 for a visit, then more for a lab test, just to be told my dog has pink eye and I need some expensive dog eye drops.

I am currently using polysporin eye ointment to clean the outside of her eye. Curretly there is a supply issue with the eye drops so i can't get them. It was recommended to me to use the combination eye and ear drops as they have a lower antibiotic which would be more suitable for a dog but that product is seemingly discontinued. So I am using the eye ointment for external and will use a saline solution to clean-out the eye itself. I'll make another trip to the pet store and see what alternatives are available but on my last trip I did not find anything.

My puppy is so cute, when I'm ready to wipe her eye she 'runs' away but then lies down in a place where she feels safe and lets me do the deed.