Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 2nd, 2017, 01:10 PM

Dog with possible respiratory allergies - Zyrtec

My dog has a slightly runny nose and sneezes now and then, usually a couple first thing in the morning and maybe couple times a day. He often has drops of clear liquid in his nose, though I've seen tiny bits of mucus once every few days. No cough. Slightly wet eyes - white goop in the corners in the morning.

Took him to the vet, and we decided to treat for upper respiratory infection. We talked about allergies, but his throat sounded a bit raspy, and vet noted in dogs allergies usually come with itching as well. Hence, upper respiratory infection. Treatment was to wait and then try antibiotics if he did not get better (he is old). I started him after a couple days (Baytril - he can not tolerate Doxy). After two weeks the problem did not get better (nor worse), other than no raspy sound in throat. So, we took culture from nose, throat, eyes, and found no virus or bacteria (the test included quite a few).

Once we finished the Baytril, I started on Zyrtec with the working theory of allergies. 20 mg for a 35 kg dog. Gave it last night. This morning he seemed slightly better, but not notably so. I think in humans Zyrtec is supposed to work immediately. I was wondering if anyone has experience with respiratory allergies in dogs and Zyrtec (or similar). How long before signs abate?

We talked about other things like growths and foreign bodies. However, both nostrils and eyes are involved, which makes that less likely. We talked about fungus, and mites. All of these require more onerous examination. He does not seem particularly bothered or out of sorts, and the symptoms are not that bad....
Old March 2nd, 2017, 01:35 PM

My minpin has the same, doesn't seem to affect him negatively. Watery eyes, sneezes periodically, sometimes the sneeze is wet.

He's been raw fed for the last 4 months since I've had him, ate kibble for the 5 years previous. Doubtful it's food allergy or intolerance. Totally different environment since I rehomed him from a different city. I've tried claritin and reactine, no change. he's overall healthy - little bit pudge but... It's got me scratching my head too.