Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 12th, 2004, 01:12 PM

Red face 2 pups who need training

Hi all!
We have 2 puppies, both are 5 months old and very different! Gaby is a chow chow/husky mix and Cognac is a Doberman... Cognac pees in his cage and anywhere else he pleases and no matter how much we try to show him not to, he still does it. Gaby is house trained well, but doesn't listen very well and shows signs of aggression. She's is stbborn when it comes to begging at the table and stealing food from the kids. I am looking into finding a trainer or bringing them to an obedience school or simply training them with new techniques. I live in Chateauguay, QC. Any suggestions? Comments are much appreciated...
Old September 12th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I suggest that you make finding a professional trainer a top priority. These dogs need a leader. You need to meet and trainer and begin taking classes in order for these dogs to understand that you're the boss.

How large is the dobie's crate? If there is too much room they will use the other part for their washroom. The crate needs to be large enough just for them to turn, lie down, sit and stretch.
Old September 12th, 2004, 01:57 PM

I went to www.canada411.com and searched by category (Finad a Business/Family& Community/Pet Services/Pet Training - and then you put in the city you're looking for). There were quite a few obedience schools in and around Montreal. Unfortunately, none were listed directly in Chateauguay. I'd suggest finding some that you're comfortable travelling to and paying them a visit first without your dogs. I know of one in Lachine who was quite punitive in his training methods (but that was 13 years ago and he might have changed his tune by now, so I'll let you visit him if you want and judge for yourself ). Good luck!
Old September 12th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Obedience classes sounds like a must for these dogs. Enrole them as soon as possible. Are you taking the dobi out enough? Try taking him out every half hour, and see what happens. If he gets used to peeing on the grass, he'll be more likely to pee on the grass. Check if the crate is the right size. It should be big enough for him to stretch, turn around and stand in, maybe a few inches more, but no bigger. If the crate is too big, one end can be "bathroom" and the other end will be "bedroom."
Old September 12th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Be sure the 'pee'r' lol has been vet checked to make sure there is no urinary infection, this can cause frequent accidents.

Taking them out as often as you can and rewarding for good behaviour but NOT scolding for accidents in the house is the idea.

Positive reinforcment and direction goes a long long way.

Whenever something is done as good behaviour praise the dogs, make a big deal about it, they'll catch on! Even use treats to reward good behaviour.
Old September 12th, 2004, 11:31 PM

How much time do they spend in their crates?? How long have you had them?? Maybe coniac is marking his territory because he is comming to age and gaby may be going (getting ready to go) into heat. Have them spayed before you end up with more dogs than you planned for

obedience school would also be a good ides for both dogs,