Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 24th, 2009, 08:29 PM

Unhappy Wellness dog food

Edited by ADMIN

I fed my two dogs since October,2008. Thought it was a holistic food. Not feeding them quite a while, my cocker of 12 years old she started diarrhea and with occasional vomiting some yellow liquid. So, I thought it might be the transition to the new food not doing quite well for her.

In Feb, I found out her dried urine had some cystal stuffs. I was so worrying that if she had bladder stone or kidney stone, but luckily no sign of dripping urine or bloody urine. After seeing Dr. Guindon (the only holistic vet here in Montreal), he said it wasn't bladder stone or something, it just that the food has too much minerals. That too much minerals she couldn't digest as a result those mineral particles ended up in her urine. I thought I was feeding her a best food. Then, I was so shocked that after hearing what Dr. Guindon saying about the truth of Wellness food. He said he has called the company that they already changed the ownership to the Hagen which this company is specializing on bird products.

Thank gosh that my baby Zoe she no longer has the cystal pee after I immediately changed her dry kibbles to Origen. What a big surprised that, right after I stopped feeding her the Wellness food, the cystal urine was gone.
So, people, be caution when feeding the Wellness food to your babies!
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I stopped feeding Wellness when I heard they were bought out.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:17 PM

Is that true? I couldn't find it when I googled. I don't feed their food, but I use their doggy treats... I really don't like not knowing who is actually making my pup's food and treats.
Old February 25th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Senior Contributor

is what true tommysmum? that they were bought out? Unfortunately it is :sad::sad:

Im having issues with wellness too now (just posted a thread).

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:04 AM

I used to feed Wellness ages ago. It was organic and holistic then and a great food! We haven't fed kibble in years. Then I started taking in fosters. Our pet store told me that Wellness had been bought out and they were weaning it out of their stores. I have 12 bags that I am picking up this weekend that a store donated to our rescue. I hate to say that I worry about feeding it now
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have stopped buying their Wellness, grain free canned cat food (I do buy their Wellness Core, canned) because there were too many days that my cats would not touch it. It started shortly after the take over.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh,Oh my cats eat Wellness canned,now what????
I finally found something I think is good for them and they like,now it's not good anymore and I have 3 cases(can be returned)..
I'll do some reading,I'd hate to switch again..
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Wellness was bought by Eagle Pack. They haven't changed any canned formulas (can't comment on the dog food). Yet. There would be a huge backlash in many of the special needs (CRF, diabetes) cat communities if they did, so hopefully they're more in tune with one of their major markets.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Senior Contributor

SCM,thank you!! I would hate to switch my cats again,they are doing good on Wellness canned
Old February 26th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....=toxic+cookies

Wellness makes these also. I stopped feeding the mini pack anything from them. The flour was bad and I guess moldy and got my dogs stoned.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old February 26th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Dear members,

Please use words like in my opinion or in my experience when talking about foods.

Saying food X is unsafe will get the whole thread deleted UNLESS you can prove it is unsafe based on a news story or some other valid independent source.

Talking about your experience is perfectly fine just please use words like in my opinion or in my experience.

Please let's continue on with the thread and feel free to PM me any issues concerning the rules of the forum.

many thanks
Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM

What is bad about Wellness? I just switched my boston to wellness core and it made a huge difference in his bowl movements and gasiness!! I thought wellness core was a good food. Please inform me on your opinions and why you have them, i would hate to switch him off something that he's doing so well on but if its really bad then I would.
Old February 26th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

This is just my personal opinion here but if my particular pet was doing well on a food, I would not necessarily switch foods just because other people are having problems with their pets on that food. All pets are individuals just like people. I know plenty of people that can't tolerate spicy peppers even though I love them. Doesn't necessarily mean the peppers are bad right?

This would be especially true if my pet was older and doing well on said food. Just my

thx
Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:01 PM

No I completely agree I dont intend to switch foods based on an opinion, Im just trying to figure out what everyone thinks is wrong with it. If its something really bad like the things said about Iams I dont know if I would feel comfortable continuing with that food. Otis is a 5 month old boston and he has been on multiple foods and finally we have had luck with wellness core the only way I would consider swithching is if something were really wrong. Thank-you Marko for your comment just that alone has already made me feel a little better!
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Kitty pimp

has anyone asked wellness about this?
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Marko,I think because of the huge recall last year,people are a worried,but I have no plans on switching.
My cats are doing really good on Wellness canned food.
I would hope,after last years disaster,if there is a problem we would be told.
Old February 26th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Couple things I'd like to point out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoly View Post
In Feb, I found out her dried urine had some cystal stuffs.
Dried urine will always have crystals in it, so this is not a remarkable finding nor a sign that anything is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoly View Post
He said he has called the company that they already changed the ownership to the Hagen which this company is specializing on bird products.
Hagen does not own Wellness. Wellness subcontracts the making of their dry food to 3 facilities, one of them being a Hagen's pet food manufacturing facility in New York. This isn't anything new.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:02 PM

Ok... so... was Wellness sold or not then?

Onster, I saw the pics you posted in the other thread... I'd certainly be wary of that, it's a huge difference in colour!

I've noticed variations in their treats, but I think just normal ones... I don't use the food, so it's only the treats I can judge but they seem the same. I just don't like being unclear on who is making the stuff my dog eats. I'm so careful with what he gets (not that he doesn't get junk stuff, too, just that I KNOW what is in the junk he's getting, LOL) that I'm uneasy when things change. And I hate, hate, hate whatever law it is that allows everybody to change ingredients without changing the bag labels right away!
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:35 PM

I would not go so far as to discount the brand based on switching foods and getting better results. Orijin is known to be one of the best holistic kibbles available so the chances are you will see an improvement. It is a shame that a good thing was taken over and spoiled by corporate greed trying to cash in under unsuspecting buyers noses. Congratulations on the fact that your dogs are seeming to thrive on the new food, that's what is really important here.

Last edited by cell; February 26th, 2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysmom View Post
Ok... so... was Wellness sold or not then?
It's more like a merger with Eagle Pack. Eagle Pack is not related to Hagen. Hagen just manufactures food for other companies at their facilities.

Old February 26th, 2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
It's more like a merger with Eagle Pack. Eagle Pack is not related to Hagen. Hagen just manufactures food for other companies at their facilities.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, that makes sense then, thank you. I don't mind Eagle Pack, used to use their food before. I don't necessarily even mind Hagen - don't know much about them, really. I just don't like not knowing these things.
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I feed my picky eater (Yorkie ) wellness super 5 small breed mix.

I tried her on Eagle pack (I didnt reall ylike that food, neither did she) She didnt like it.

I tried orijen, she didnt like it. I even went so far as to try her with that cesar crap. She didnt like it . (I just wanted to get her to eat)

I had to SPOON feed her canned wellned (lamb and sweet potatoe i think it was) And even though i Care deeply about my girls health, i couldnt spoon feed her for the rest of her life and she wouldnt eat it out of her bowl.

So i tried Our latest food. Wellness super 5 small breed mix.

SHE LOVES it. She eats almost a full cup a day! By herself, with out spoon feeding! So i dont have anything bad to say about Wellness, its been a life saver. To each his own.

Its working great for us.
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Found it! I couldn't remember the name of the new merger company, but it's called WellPet:

Quote:
We are WellPet LLC®; makers of healthy natural products for pets. WellPet is the result of a recent merger of two best-in-class pet food companies both with long heritages in the pet industry: Eagle Pack Pet Foods & Old Mother Hubbard.

Old February 26th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Obsessed animal lover

I feed my cat and kitten Wellness canned grain-free food and my dog their Pure Bite treats. I have had no problems with either. I have only fed my cats the canned food since December so I'm assuming that the merger occurred before this but it's the only food my kitten will eat a good amount of so I will be continuing with it. Hopefully, there will not be many other pets who have a similar reaction as the OP's. I used to not be a Wellness fan but the cat food seems to agree with my cats.
Old February 27th, 2009, 06:40 AM

You know whats so silly? I actually saw the Wellpet merger thing on their site before, but for some reason figured it was previously done!

So, problem solved...
But I still can't help but wonder if Eagle pack persuaded them to change any formulas, or if Hagen accidentally put something into the mix... Onster's post about the Wellness Indoor Health showed some really corny looking kibble.
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:09 PM

Thanks for all members' advices and opinions! U know after the 2007 pet food recall, I am so worrying of what's in the pet food.
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:52 PM

Geisha eats Wellness Core both original and Ocean 6, & Rose eats Wellness Super 5 Mix Lamb as part of their rotation. They get a heaping tsp. of Wellness canned on their kibble with water. It's fun watching them devour their food.