Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 5th, 2012, 06:36 PM

Advice Needed... Patches on Dog's body

Hi everyone,
I really hope someone here can give me some advice. I have an 8 year old chihuahua/terrier dog and he has been have serious skin issues for many months now.
It's been almost a year now.... It started when I noticed little bumps under his fur, all over his back. Yellow puss was forming underneath these bumps to a points where little bunches of hair starting coming off. It seemed like allergies to me. We were recommended Prescription Diet Zd I believe. He loved the food and while his coat was nicer and softer, the food did not help.
I took him to the vet a first time and she put him on anti biotics and a strict diet on this same food. While the anti biotics helped a bit, the patches started getting bigger and bigger. Took him for a second time and more antibiotics. This went on for quite a while. She told me to wash him with medical shampoo three times a week. Didn't help either. The patches keep forming, then new hair comes in, but then another patch pops up else where.
My dog doesn't seem in pain at all but he looks sad and diseased yellow puss and patches are not going away. See photo.
If anyone has any insight please let me know. The vet doesn't seem to be helping and over run out of solutions.
Thank you so much!
Attached Images

Old August 5th, 2012, 07:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Did your vet do a scraping for mange mites or check for ringworm? Poor dog. Hope you get some answers soon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 5th, 2012, 07:30 PM

I feel for you. I'm going through exact same thing with my dog. At first they told me thyroid, so he was put on medication. It cleared up then came back. The different vet said allergies, so we tried different kinds of foods but nothing changed. Right now he is on antibiotics and it is starting to clear up. The spots started on his back then cleared and is now on his bum below his tail, belly and chest. He is completely bald on chest and belly. It seems like every year it gets worse. We told the vet it always starts in January so he is kind of stumped as to what he is allergic too. We have been going back and forth to the vet for at least 4 yrs. now and still don't know what more to do.
Patches - Diluted Torti 2007-2022
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:00 PM

I believe they ruled out mange and ringworm from the beginning. At this point I'm scared he will have to be on antibiotics for the rest of his life. The weird part is, he used to shed ALOT and ever since this started he does not shed anymore aside of course, the patches.

I'm perplexed!
Old August 5th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I would either go to a holistic vet and try to get at this through a homeprepared diet and holistic support, or I would see a dermatologist, or I would do both.

Personally, I would go with a limited ingredient homeprepared diet, contact somebody like Monica Segal or Sabine Contreras to help create something simple and balanced and work through this.
Old August 6th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree try the food route so many dogs have allergies to foods. There is a proper way to start and I am sure one of the members here will be able to give you more info. If Rgeurts is here she has been through food allergies and is really knowledgable about this and unfortunately many more health issues, or you could pm her
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 6th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by At77 View Post
Hi everyone,
I really hope someone here can give me some advice. I have an 8 year old chihuahua/terrier dog and he has been have serious skin issues for many months now.
It's been almost a year now.... It started when I noticed little bumps under his fur, all over his back. Yellow puss was forming underneath these bumps to a points where little bunches of hair starting coming off. It seemed like allergies to me. We were recommended Prescription Diet Zd I believe. He loved the food and while his coat was nicer and softer, the food did not help.
I took him to the vet a first time and she put him on anti biotics and a strict diet on this same food. While the anti biotics helped a bit, the patches started getting bigger and bigger. Took him for a second time and more antibiotics. This went on for quite a while. She told me to wash him with medical shampoo three times a week. Didn't help either. The patches keep forming, then new hair comes in, but then another patch pops up else where.
My dog doesn't seem in pain at all but he looks sad and diseased yellow puss and patches are not going away. See photo.
If anyone has any insight please let me know. The vet doesn't seem to be helping and over run out of solutions.
Thank you so much!
What does your dog sleep on , you may have to wash it everyday your dog could reinfecting himself . I would take your dog to another other vet like people suggested. I hope you dog will get better soon. If is was ring worms I would l think you would had gotten it too.
Old August 8th, 2012, 05:14 PM

Thanks to everyone for your advice.
I will definitely try and check into food.
Also, to answer one of the questions, the dog sleeps pretty much anywhere it pleases. But i will definitely check if there is an area that me be infected or causing all this to come back.