Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 16th, 2012, 10:29 PM

my alapaha puppy

Hi there i am having a issue with my 3 month old ouppy he appears to be getting of bald spots/thining hair. He play fights with his mom alot and its obvious some of these are a result of her being to ruff but some you cant tell. I am feeding him the instructed amount of acana puppy food daily. I am wondering if anyone could telk me if these patches are a direct reslut of the olay fighting or if might be diet or somethinf i have to look into, he gets absokutely no human food only the acana milk bones and the occasional pizzle. He also has his first set of puppy shots and is booked for his second nexr in a week. If anyone could help me with this problem i would be extremely grateful. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and help me.

Joshua and my alapaha puppy sylus
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Is he by any chance merle? Merles in some breeds are prone to alopecia.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5526154_cani...treatment.html
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I do not believe that this would be from playing with the mom. Aa vet should check it out. I would also insist on NO vaccinations until you are assured your pup is healthy with no signs of disease - vaccination is only for healthy animals.
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:52 PM

thank you

Thank you for the responses i will get him in right away, i do know that my pug had it when i first got her (alopecia) is this a contagious thing?? Could it have been transfered from the pug because they play all day together as welk as sleep together. And is there anyway it could be a vitamin deficiency?? As well in the white hair on his stomach i am checking him while writing this and it appears the patches have little almost like bumps they arent lifted off his skin very much, but almost like little red freckles on his skin. Once again thank you for your responses and help

From joshua, jessica nd sylus the bulldog
Old August 17th, 2012, 09:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Just to be on the safe side, I'd have the vet do a scraping for mites. Sounds a little like demodex mange. If that's what it is, it's treatable and not contagious, but usually points to a compromised immune system (pups often get it because their immunities aren't very strong, yet).

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."