Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:29 PM

Desperately need help from a cat rescue

Somebody dumped a cat off on my property (I'm in the country) He's been keeping himself in my barn but he really wants to come into my house. I have been feeding him because he is friendly but this afternoon I found him totally beat up by something. He has cuts and scratches all over his head and he needs to be rescued by someone. I can't take him in as I already have 13 cats and 2 dogs to take care of. I know I could get him into a carrier with some food, but I just need a place to bring him. The vets I called want nothing to do with him unless I pay $200 which I can't afford. If anyone can take him in to clean him up and give him a home, please, please message me. Even if he had to be put down it would be a far better fate than what's going to end up to him here. My email is sonicsink@yahoo.com
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
Kitty pimp

weher abputs do you live?
Old June 3rd, 2009, 03:12 PM

I live out in the country south of Rigaud, Quebec which is west of the island of Montreal
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I have no answer for you and I feel really sad for the poor cat,seeing you already have 13 cats,would one more make such a difference
Hopefully you'll find a solution for him,obviously dumped by some moronic person
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:07 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Somebody should be logged on soon that can help you. Have you called SPCA Montreal?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Do you drive Sonic? If so then I can make arrangements for him to get medical care at my vet's. I can't take him in though and the first thing I would do is FIV test him as I don't believe in keeping positive cats alive to die slowly over a few years. After that, if all is well then you need a plan for him. Cats are a dime a dozen and an outside one is almost impossible to place sadly. I have 2 here that illustrate that.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:55 PM

Unfortunately, yes, one more would make a difference. We're having trouble with some of our males right now, they have started fighting and spraying. The last thing I need now is to throw another male in the mix.

I haven't called the SPCA but I did once a few years ago and they told me I'd have to trap it myself and bring it in, or I could rent a cage from them. I'm assuming nothing has changed?

I do drive but I have anxiety which makes it so I can't drive on anything other than the small roads around here. Anything bigger and I get too anxious, plus I have my 2 small kids with me at all times so I'd rather not go out too far.
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry,I did not mean to be flip about your problem,I only hope someone can help this poor boy
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:01 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Does our MSPCA have the animal control contract for the Rigaud area, anyone know? If so they will come and pick him up but yes there has been change in management (maybe you'll have better luck)

Hopefully BenMax will sign in soon, she will know

Thank you for caring
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:17 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

As far as I know, AC for that area is below:

Controle Animal Vaudreuil/Soulanges
1269 Harwood
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC
450-510-1508

www.canindusuroit.com

Where is this cat now and what do you think might have attacked him in your barn? :sad:

I feel sooooooooo sorry for cats in this province...too many cats/kittens and not enough HUMAN BEINGS to care for them. What idiots that keep dumping them and leaving them for others to pick up their messes

Good luck, whatever happens

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
As far as I know, AC for that area is below:

Controle Animal Vaudreuil/Soulanges
1269 Harwood
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC
450-510-1508

www.canindusuroit.com

Where is this cat now and what do you think might have attacked him in your barn? :sad:

I feel sooooooooo sorry for cats in this province...too many cats/kittens and not enough HUMAN BEINGS to care for them. What idiots that keep dumping them and leaving them for others to pick up their messes

Good luck, whatever happens
This is the correct animal control. I highly doubt however that they will save this cat. Please find out how they euthanize and please give me this information. I am working on animal controls, shelters and pounds and their method of euthanasia.

Is this cat feral or friendly?
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't take him to the Montreal SPCA just yet. They have too many cats and like they told me 2 weeks ago, all they may do is put them down ( i am talking about the cat and babies I brought in). I can lend you a trap, if you need it.
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:23 AM

Gah! I know he could be saved if a rescue could take him. He's super friendly, always weaving around my legs when I come out and feed him. He was most likely someones pet who got tired of him. He wants to come into my house, he wants a home I hate the thought of having him destroyed because some jackass dumped him.

I'm not sure where he is right now, I haven't seen him since last night when I gave him some kibble. I'll be able to go out to the barn later this afternoon when my littlest one goes for his nap to check and see if he's there.

Here are some pictures of him. The first is what he looked like when I fisrt noticed him coming around here mid-April, the next 2 are what he looks like now. My son calls him Johnny Cat.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25.../JohnnyCat.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...JohnnyCat2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...JohnnyCat3.jpg

Last edited by sonicsink; June 4th, 2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Fixed links
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Geek Club CEO

That poor cat! He looks terrible! I'm wondering why his fur is all clumped at matted like that...is there really no way you can get him to a vet? A neighbor, friend or family member who could do the driving? He looks in really dire straits!
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:55 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

OMG that poor soul must wonder what the Hell happened for him to end up like this.

God, I hate people...how can you dump an animal?????

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:05 AM

His fur looks like that because it seems he tussled in the mud with whatever attacked him.

I can't bring him to the vet, I have 2 dogs that have to get vaccinations next week and a guinea pig that I need to treat for lice. I'm stretched as it is. I just don't have an extra $200 to spend on him. Believe me, if I did I would but I can't. This is what makes it so hard. I'm just hoping a rescue with some vet connections can take him.
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Rescues, shelters, pounds are all overflowing with cats and kittens. We just took 2 in and they will be aborted this week (no one reprimand me for this please....it's the best option and yes I feel horrible about it).

I would ask a foundation to help but I just brought 5 kittens to them and they are going to kill me if I ask. I did not leave a donation but did commit myself to volunteer in lieu of.

Do you have a listing of all rescues that you can plead to? Also, it is very difficult if you cannot drive. Everyone is going nuts right now trying to scramble and save animals all over this province.
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

CCDS brings the animals to montreal spca for euthanasia. This cat looks like he has full blown rhino right now judging by the eyes etc.

Have you tried CASCA? They are out your way and the lady may try to help, she does mainly ferals.

Montreal SPCA is getting upwards of 20 cats per day so this guy would not be a candidate to keep I'm afraid.
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:27 AM
BassetHound Rescue Quebec

Did you try Dr. Glew's .. they usually help.. or Saint Lazare..Vet Hospital.. or even Dr. Pilon..

http://bassethoundrescuechronicles.blogspot.com/ Blog

http://www.meetup.com/Montreal-Basset-Hound-GuardiansGroup/ Basset Owners Meet-Up Group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=322077912703&ref=ts
Facebook
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver View Post
CCDS brings the animals to montreal spca for euthanasia. This cat looks like he has full blown rhino right now judging by the eyes etc.

Have you tried CASCA? They are out your way and the lady may try to help, she does mainly ferals.

Montreal SPCA is getting upwards of 20 cats per day so this guy would not be a candidate to keep I'm afraid.
Oh yes BDML - Casca is very good!!! You are right about the MSPCA - I still have that gorgeous persian and no takers. Sad, sad situation.
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Catlover2

OMG! what a misery poor Johnnyboy is! He has definitely been in a ferocious fight with another male, or maybe a racoon, with the evidence of the nasty bites on his face, which will lead to a serious infection if he doesn't get an antibiotic. Could you buy some antibiotic from your vet?
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Casca cat rescue is very good and they cover your area cascaorg.com 450-424-5485 Or Hudson Veterinary Hospital 450-458-5382
Old June 4th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I can vouch for Casca...i did foster fo rthem and they talk excellent care of both cats and foster parents......
Old June 4th, 2009, 01:39 PM

Thanks, I'll shoot off an email to casca as soon as I can. I checked the barn for him and can't find him. I left a plate of food hoping he'll come find it.
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM

An angel my have come out of the woodwork! I posted about Johnny on another board I'm on and someone is willing to take him in to her vet and try to re-home him if I can catch him!

Please pray that Johnny comes back soon, help is waiting for him!
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicsink View Post
An angel my have come out of the woodwork! I posted about Johnny on another board I'm on and someone is willing to take him in to her vet and try to re-home him if I can catch him!

Please pray that Johnny comes back soon, help is waiting for him!
I've been watching this thread closely. Wonderful news! for Johnny!
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old June 4th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I did not look at his pics,too heartbreaking,as I can do nothing to help
Sonicsink,hopefully this new help offered will work out
I don't suppose you have a trap to catch him,or maybe a place you can keep him safe until this person comes to help?
Old June 4th, 2009, 04:56 PM

I have a small wire dog crate set up in the barn right now with some cushions in it waiting for him to show up. At this point I'm relativly confident that with a plate of wet food, I can just get him to follow me/the plate right into the crate.

Here's hoping he shows up soon!
Old June 4th, 2009, 05:40 PM

I'VE GOT HIM! Right in time for diner! I lured him right into the crate with the plate of food. He's not too happy about being in there though. There's some pus coming out of his head between his eye and his ear, his eye looks less swollen though so I guess that's good. Just banging out some plans with his angel for a pick-up. I'll let you all know what happens
Here he is resting in the crate:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...JohnnyCat4.jpg
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicsink View Post
I'VE GOT HIM! Right in time for diner! I lured him right into the crate with the plate of food. He's not too happy about being in there though. There's some pus coming out of his head between his eye and his ear, his eye looks less swollen though so I guess that's good. Just banging out some plans with his angel for a pick-up. I'll let you all know what happens
Here he is resting in the crate:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...JohnnyCat4.jpg
Wonderful news! Well done! He likely developed an abscess from the bites from the other animal and the fact that it is starting to drain is actually good. Hopefully a trip to the vet and a round of antibiotics and he will be good as new. You are an angel too for all you have done for him. Sadly there are too many people in this world who would not have done as much as you have. Between you and the other angel that is coming, he now has an excellent chance of finding a forever home. Yes, do continue to keep us posted.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009