Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 26th, 2005, 07:32 PM

What do your cats eat (that they're not supposed to)?

It's amazing to me what cats will sometimes decide is "edible." When Maya lost her appetite, the vet asked me if she could've gotten into anything foreign, but fortunately she doesn't even like people food.

Chaco, on the other hand, I often call my "billy goat" cat...for a long time she seemed to eat just about anything, including my mini-blinds. I don't leave plastic grocery bags out anywhere and my Christmas tree never has tinsel... my old cat, Leia, used to lick them and swallow the pieces, despite the fact that they made her throw up and she got one caught around her waist once (I guess she licked her way through a hole and kept going)...and my very first cat used to love to eat rubber bands and tinsel.
Chaco - 8 - calico
Maya - 7 - long-haired tortoiseshell

"Of all the things to worry about...the Wookiee has no pants." - Mark Hamill, in "Empire of Dreams," speaking of Twentieth Century Fox's concerns during the filming of "Star Wars"
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Hmmm, this got me thinking back. My cats are gone now , but many great memories remain. I recall my younger cat Cinder getting up on the stove one day (where they were not supposed to be for multiple reasons) and she got into a pot of chili She ran around the house hissing and spitting for hours, and her tongue going in and out all night. It was soooo funny to watch her. She'd spit at you if you looked at her! However, it did cure her desire to go up on the stove... I don't remember them ever really getting into other things naughty - our Christmas tree's never had tinsel because of the cats. Good memories, one day we'll have to get another (or two).
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

my old cat, (RIP), ate an entire spool of new thread. she was sitting on the back of the couch w/ a piece of string hanging out of her mouth, so my mom pulled it. and pulled it, and pulled it... then it snapped. off to the vets we went... they had to open her up and literally untangle her insides. the surgery was a huge success, and she was fine afterwards, lived another 10+ yrs. We learned to keep the sewing basket closed.
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Agility Addict

Minnow tries to eat Bounce sheets - only after they've been in the dryer for a while though, not fresh out of the box! She seems partial to bounce, no-name brands are just no good enough for her!

She likes semi-moist dog treats and bologne is one of her favs (only because the dogs want it though!)

Other than that she is pretty good! We stopped putting tinsel on after her first christmas because she likes to climb up the artificial tree and always managed to chew on the tinsel or get it caught around her paws!

The chili-cat is a funny story - hissing because she was looked at!
Old July 29th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Well,my two older cats are ok,very finicky won't eat anything weird,other than what comes out of a bag or can.
Vinnie(3 yrs old) on the other hand,goes under the bird-feeder wants to munch on birdseeds,peanuts that I put out for the squirrels,actually anything eatable..even bananas
He is omethng like my sons JRT,who is a regular vaccumcleaner
Old July 29th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Occasionally, Badger enjoys a raisin.
Old July 29th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Badger.. I forgot a few things,like raisins,olives,grapes,Nacho Chips
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:59 PM

The story about the cat and the thread made me think of my friend Leslie, whose cat used to get dental floss out of the garbage can and eat it...then she would find it a while later when it was hanging out of his...er...rear end. I'm glad things worked out well for the kitty with the thread...that sounds like it could have been pretty scary.
Chaco - 8 - calico
Maya - 7 - long-haired tortoiseshell

"Of all the things to worry about...the Wookiee has no pants." - Mark Hamill, in "Empire of Dreams," speaking of Twentieth Century Fox's concerns during the filming of "Star Wars"
Old July 30th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

I just wanted to point out,just because Vinnie has a yearning for all things unusual for a cat,does not mean he gets to eat them.
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Crazy About Chow Chows

If you leave a plate out for about an hour while you are away, Kiki will eat it. She also likes to try to eat Kongs...of course she never eats them, but she will destroy the red ones. She's like a dog...xD

Surria (Clos de Lion's Spirit of Fire), 1 yr old Chow Chow (female)

Tigra, 2 yr old Pomeranian (female)

Kiki (Angelspur's Icy Dream) 1 yr old Persian (female)