Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 2nd, 2011, 03:14 PM

Gracie and metacam

Our 2 and half year old female cat Gracie was diagnosed with crystals on Wednesday. She jumped off my son's dresser in the middle of the night on Tuesday and started to cry. We rushed her to the vets thinking she hurt something because she was very spooked and her back legs started to twitch and she was crying out in pain. After 2 hours the vet said there was no problem and we brought her back home. First 90$ visit. A little bit later in the afternoon she started doing it again. I knew she was in pain and something was wrong...

Anyways we called the vets again but no one was there to see her. They recommended a different vet. He palpated her bladder once and she screamed and then peed everywhere. Poor thing! So in 20 mins he diagnosed her with crystals, gave her a shot of antibiotics and sent us home with a three week supply of Novalac(spell?). He said he would send the urinalysis results over to our vet and the recommended diet. All for NO CHARGE!!

Our regular vet finally called the following evening saying you need to bring her in right away because she wanted to feel her bladder. We said sure because we were worried that maybe something more serious is wrong. So 450$ later our vet diagnosed crystals. LOL we already knew that... This brings me to my question. She gave her a shot of Metacam and a prescription of Oral Suspension 0.5mg/ml 15mls. Give orally a 6.9KG dose once daily with food for the next 7 days. Does this seem excessive? The box says to use no more then 2 days.

Needless to say we have now switched to the vet we saw on Wed evening. I know my baby is in pain and I want to help her but I also don't want to kill her. Can anyone with experience with Metacam give me some advice?

Nicole
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, where to begin. First, I'm sorry that Gracie is going through this. Urinary tract issues can really be uncomfortable, not to mention difficult to treat. I have a few concerns about your old vet and I'm not so sure the new one is all that great either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettySpazz View Post
So in 20 mins he diagnosed her with crystals, gave her a shot of antibiotics
That wouldn't happen to be Convenia, would it? Why would he give her an antibiotic without knowing if she even had an infection? If it was Convenia, you might want to read this link: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=convenia

Quote:
and sent us home with a three week supply of Novalac(spell?).
Not sure what that is. Can you check the bottle and let me know if it says anything else?

Quote:
He said he would send the urinalysis results over to our vet and the recommended diet. All for NO CHARGE!!
What is Gracie eating now, and what exactly would that recommended diet be?

Quote:
So 450$ later our vet diagnosed crystals.
$450!!!! For what? Did she give you an itemized bill?

Quote:
She gave her a shot of Metacam and a prescription of Oral Suspension 0.5mg/ml 15mls. Give orally a 6.9KG dose once daily with food for the next 7 days. Does this seem excessive?
This is where my red flag really goes up. Oral Metacam should not be dosed following injected Metacam. In fact, there is actually a black box warning from the FDA that cats shouldn't receive oral Metacam at all, that it can cause kidney failure. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/.../ucm231254.htm

There aren't too many safe pain meds for cats, but a much better choice would be something like Buprenex.

Please also read this link on urinary tract issues in cats: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

And good luck! I hope Gracie is feeling better soon.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:39 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome and sorry your having to deal with all of this!

I just wanted to warm you as Sugarcatmom did about the Metacam. My old vet prescribed this to my boy and we believe that this was the main cause of his kidney failure. We lost him not long after being prescribed it and he passed away from a stroke when his kidneys failed.

Good Luck and keep us posted
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 3rd, 2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
That wouldn't happen to be Convenia, would it? Why would he give her an antibiotic without knowing if she even had an infection? If it was Convenia, you might want to read this link: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=convenia
He did a dip stick. High PH, High Leukocytes and blood. He did not mention what kind of injection she had. He said it would give her a boost?!
The urinalysis gave struvite crystals. ph of 7.9 no bacteria.

Quote:
Not sure what that is. Can you check the bottle and let me know if it says anything else?
The package says Noroclav Amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium tablets U.S.P 62.5mg. 1 tablet twice daily.

Quote:
What is Gracie eating now, and what exactly would that recommended diet be?
She was getting Performatrin life stages and wet food twice daily. Now she is getting medical SO wet twice a day and medical SO dry for snacks.

Quote:
$450!!!! For what? Did she give you an itemized bill?
Radiographs- Setup 89$
Radiographs (per view) 162$
Exam/Consult - Recheck 49$
MCRC Feline Preventive 165G 3.26$
Metacam 0.5mg/ml 15ml (cats) 41.14
Fluids- Subcutaneous 52.50$

Quote:
This is where my red flag really goes up. Oral Metacam should not be dosed following injected Metacam. In fact, there is actually a black box warning from the FDA that cats shouldn't receive oral Metacam at all, that it can cause kidney failure. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/.../ucm231254.htm
We only gave her half last night of what the vet recommended. She is still not well. Still hiding and her back legs keep going into spasms. Hasn't pooped and pees a very little twice a day. She is extremely outgoing normally, smart as a whip. This is breaking my heart. Leala our other cat has been mothering her for the past 4 days.

Last edited by PrettySpazz; December 3rd, 2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: picture too big