Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old April 22nd, 2005, 03:08 PM
Kitty Consort

Mothers Day

Guess its a bit early, but feeling a bit sentimental today. One of my dear friends just lost her mother last night, and my own mother is in very frail and fragile health. Suffering from severe dementia now, she's adrift in a sea of confusion.
So many years of Mother's Day outings.. laughs, special outings, lovely meals. What I would give to be able to have one more of those - to "connect" with her again.
However, I am very thankful to have her here nontheless, and to be able to kiss her sweet face, hold her tiny hand..and talk to her. Even if she doesnt know who I am, she knows I am someone that loves her.. Thats all that counts :love:

Not all of us have our moms with us to celebrate this day. For those of you who do, and for those who are moms themselves - I hope you will enjoy a wonderful day of love and sharing with your family.

What do you plan on this special day for your mom?
And for yourself - what brings you the most pleasure?
Old April 22nd, 2005, 04:04 PM

I actually buy my dad a present. He raised me since I was two, so I alternate between father's day and mother's day. Sometimes, father's day is on my birthday, so I'd rather celebrate mother's day and have my birthday all for me!! Last year I got him an adjustable espresso grinder from little Italy. THis year I don't know. I am so broke, but I always cave in anyway...

If anybody else was raised by one parent, if you want to make them cry sappy tears, give them something on the other parent's holiday...
Old April 22nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I was raised by my mother alone,but sadly she passed away in 1974 at the young age of 53.Her passing left a big empty space in my heart and even though I was married with 3 kids,I still somehow felt like an orphan :sad:
But I feel she's ok now,she was very sick most of her life and was tired of the costant pain,I wish I could go to her grave-site but she is buried in Sweden in my hometown :sad:
What do I want for Mothers Day??? A BIG bunch of flowers...and maybe a wee,wee Digi-cam
Old April 22nd, 2005, 04:59 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I always treat my mom...

I always try to treat my mom to a special dinner or buy her flowers, or offer to do her housework. She worked two jobs when I was little to keep a roof over my head and she deserves everything I can give her. I don't even want to think about the day I'll lose her - she is my best friend. For myself, my son is normally pretty good about remembering Mother's day but since he just bought a house, I'll expect something small - but would just as soon he come over and spend the day (and bring my grandpuppy of course). If my husband asks me what I want, I'm asking for a new digital camera since he took mine to his business and I haven't seen it since.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I've decided to get my mom this--

http://www.fborfw.com/store/catalog/...975a16a224e3f4

I always list this as my favourite comic. Although I'm about 3-4 years older, everyone used to compare me to the son in the comic, and it's amazing how much our lives have paralleled (right down to the same university!).

I was thinking of getting my spouse a Mommy's day present, even though she isn't due until June. Haven't decided yet, though. I think she qualifies. Besides, it might me I get something for father's day even though the due date is the day after!
Old April 22nd, 2005, 05:19 PM

Yes your wifey should get a present!!! Isn't it enough that she's been pregnant forever??

I think the gift for your mom is a good one though.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 07:28 PM
banned user

I couldn't imagine not having my mother... I feel so bad for you guys without. I'd be lost, my mom's the greatest.
My whole family is pretty much broke so we all chipped in for a mother's pendant with all her kids birthstones in it... she sorta picked it out herself with her ever so subtle hints.
We were shopping last month and found this used vhs tape place and she wanted Lady and the Tramp Disney movie but they had it for $40! She wasn't gonna pay that much so I found it for her much cheaper on ebay, so I will give that to her from all the grandkids.
And we're all taking her out to dinner that day too, to give her her gifts.
Having 4 siblings makes it much easier on the pocketbook!
Old April 24th, 2005, 11:32 PM

I was really touched by your post. everyday that we get to tell our mom, dad, friends,loves, how great they are and how much we love them, is a great day. Sometimes it is so easy to forget when we get so caught up and busy. I think the greatest gift that you can give anyone is your time and thoughtfullness.
Old April 25th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Every other year our Community Hospice has a fund-raiser in which all these local designers, landscapers and decorators volunteer their services to remodel and decorate some really neat house that has been temporarily donated by the owners. Once it was a locally historic Victorian home, another time a huge farmhouse, usually it's something unique and really special the rest of us ordinary people never would go in. The homeowners get a great deal and often buy a lot of the furnishings and decorator items afterwards. Of course, they have to move out for months while it's being renovated and they have to be prepared for thousands of people to tour through the home everyday for a 2-week period. At the last Showcase, there were over 7000 visitors and they raised $120,000 for Hospice, after expenses. It costs $20 each to go though it. Since it always is at this time of year, I fix a festive brunch for our mothers at my home. Then, while the men do the dishes, I take my Mom, my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law and my mom's neighbor to the Decorators Showhouse. Yes, it costs me a bit as I treat everybody, but it's for a wonderful cause. Hospice provides support and services to terminally ill people and their families. This time, my aunt will be here visiting my mom. My uncle passed away in February. My mother-in-law broke her ankle 2 weeks ago and is presently in a care home. So, I guess it'll be brunch, Showhouse, then taking my aunt to the airport early afternoon and visiting at the care home afterwards. Trying to think up what I could take my mother-in-law to make it special.
Old April 25th, 2005, 07:54 PM

Normally both my brother's and I buy our Mom seperate gifts, but considering my current situation, I believe we will all be pitching in for one this year, not that she would mind, since gifts aren't what matter to her, but it does still make me feel a little bad though. My mom raised us by ourselves too, my Dad passed 2 weeks before I turned 2 and she never remarried so it's always been us and our mom.
As far as my Mother's Day thing, my son always makes me something at school, my oldest daughter will color me a picture and my youngest, as long as she is smiling I am happy. Normally my husband would take the kids to get my gift and then take me out to dinner with the kids, but this year will be different.... :sad:
Old April 25th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

odd

My dearest friend also called me to let me know that her mom had passed away yesterday. She's very sad although it was expected. They had become extremely close and their roles had reversed several years ago due to dementia with her mother.

It reminded me how fragile life is as well. I lost my mom shortly before my 16th Birthday and think of her so very often. If you still have a mom, remember to say you love her once in a while, it means everything to them.
Old April 25th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I lost my mom in 1982, and still the Mother's Day celebrations and commercials can be hard. If you still have your's around, make sure to show you care.

Diane