Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old March 20th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Feral cat issues

Hi members,

A close family member is trying to turn a feral cat (all black male probably about 2-3 years old) into an indoor cat. The cat has been indoors in their house now for about 6 weeks. Until that time they were feeding it on the balcony and one day they just opened the door and it came inside.

He hides and sleeps all day long and comes out at night where he feels relaxed enough to go from room to room and wake everyone up by pawing their faces.

The problem is that when they try to approach the cat during the day to pick it up, the cat often hisses loudly and aggressively and has taken to biting them as well.

Any suggestions for them on how to make this cat friendlier?
Would rescue remedy or Feliway help in this case?

many thanks as always!

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:12 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What a question for Badger to answer!!!!
I can't give much help because mine are not like that. I would think the kitty is very used to being a night hunter and is still reacting to that. He probably hid during the day, the same as he is doing now, so doesn't know how to react to daytime and people. It's quite possible when he was outside if he tried to approach humans he was not treated kindly. I would think time, patience, more time, and more patience. Let the kitty come to them instead of approaching him.
And please thank them very much for being this kitty's

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Garden nut

We got Linx from what I think was a foster home in Montreal. The woman and her husband must have had 20 cats all stuck in one room in their home. But everything was very clean and didn't smell. All the kitties seemed happy as far as I could tell.

When we took Linx home, he hid all day in the linen closet and would only come out at night to eat and use the box. He was not friendly at all.

I just ignored him, figuring he would come around on his own. He did.

One day about 3 weeks later while I was watching a video, he decided to jump in my lap. He's been a lap kitty ever since, almost 8 years.

So my advice is to just ignore him and let him do his own thing. As difficult as it sounds, it does work. Taking the words of Cesar Millan, "no touch, no talk, no eye contact."

Maybe the cat is just getting used to the idea of people and what living in a home is all about.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Kitty pimp

yup agree with cQc and maybe tuna too
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

It's all been said! I've never thought about it but 14+ makes sense, holding to the same schedule as when he was outside, for maximum safety from the big bad world. I'd just wait him out, don't force anything but take advantage of the times when he allows himself to be touched (keep those sessions short).
I'd also initiate play, anything on a string, crinkle balls, because it doesn't involve touch but there is some kind of communication.
The hissing and biting are of a piece with the 'outside' mentality, I'd just ignore it.
If he has a special place he sleeps, they could put an old worn tshirt in there so their smell becomes familiar.
It would be a shame to close their bedroom doors at night. Even five minutes of attention will help before you firmly put him off the bed and, if absolutely necessary, lock him out.
When does he eat? Try hand-feeding him special treats if he'll allow it.
He may be a particularly reclusive fellow, requiring all the tricks. But it will eventually happen, even if they do nothing.
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:56 PM

I wonder if it would help the night/day sitch if they kept a bunch of lights on in the hosue at night, and kept them all off/curtains closed during the day, if they were at work all day or something. Maybe the cat would be fooled into sleeping at night and hunting the household during the day.
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:10 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Thanks so much for all the advice, I'll pass it on.

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I agree with cearaqc and badger.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaekitty View Post
I wonder if it would help the night/day sitch if they kept a bunch of lights on in the hosue at night, and kept them all off/curtains closed during the day, if they were at work all day or something. Maybe the cat would be fooled into sleeping at night and hunting the household during the day.
The neighbors might start to wonder though

Otherwise I agree with the comments/advise so far. Cats are independent beings, although they love attention it's almost always on their terms, their chosen time, even a non feral!

It's not easy to ignore a cat you'd like to make feel loved, but in this case it's probably the best thing, since the attention is frightening/ stressing him.

Will there be a picture of this kitty on here maybe ? ?