Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 13th, 2014, 10:52 AM

Training a deaf kitten.

I adopted a deaf kitten who is 4.5 months old. DSH, Black. I've had him to the vet's. He said he thought the kitten might have had a virus either in utero or when he was very small. His ears are fine now, except that he has permanent hearing loss.

So, here is my question:

How do I train a deaf kitten? He doesn't respond to audio cues. I can't give him positive reinforcement this way. I also can't clap my hands or say no when he does something wrong.

I do pick him up and cuddle him when he does something right, or I pet him and smile. But he doesn't always like this. He's a squirmy kitten and full of beans. hehe

When he scratches in the wrong spot, I do what I normally would, which is take him to the right spot and rub his paws on it. It sucks that I can't give him praise when he's in the right spot, though. And of course, seconds later, he's back at the wrong spot. hehe Little bum.

So...any suggestions?

Also equally important is that he doesn't pick up on the cues that my older resident cat is giving him. Hissing or growling or mewling to tell him to back off. She is very frustrated. I never leave them alone together. She is getting more tolerant, but I can tell she doesn't understand why he won't back off. She doesn't know he's deaf and can't hear her.

He's been home two weeks now. Any suggestions on integrating the two cats would be helpful, too. She is 14 years old.
Old October 13th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

You could get a spray bottle and spray water at your kitty when he is doing something wrong but I would not do this too much right now , you want the kitty to trust you. It would be best to pick up your kitty and look right in his face and shake your head 'NO" then give him to some time out. Animals do understand body language before than you realize . A cat is small enough to pick up and look in the face. I am HOH and I like to see a person face when talking to them.
Old October 13th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

My sister adopted a deaf cat. She uses a laser light to get her attention. Be careful not to shine directly in the eyes though.
Old October 13th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
My sister adopted a deaf cat. She uses a laser light to get her attention. Be careful not to shine directly in the eyes though.
I would not use that on a kitten or cat the with the way they're always bouncing around the house.
Old October 14th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor

If he has some hearing an ultrasonic dog deterrent worked for my old girl. She could hear it, would look to see where the sound came from, it came from me so she would come to me. She could hear most of her life though so not sure how this would work from kittenhood. I imagine it would hurt the ears of your other cat. Sure worked to keep two unfriendly dogs from chasing us when we bicycled, which was why we bought it.
Old October 14th, 2014, 01:00 PM

Hi Yoohoo_Ra !

I've sent you a private message....some thoughts on where you are likely to get some appropriate advice from knowledgeable folks with deaf kitties.

Quote:
You could get a spray bottle and spray water at your kitty when he is doing something wrong.....
That is not something "cat-people" would ever offer as training advise for almost any cat, let alone a deaf kitten....it's very old-time 'medicine', an old wives tale so-to-speak. IF it is ever justifiable nowadays, it would only be for extreme situations and only done covertly in cases of intransigent household cat behaviour. Yes, indeed, trust between you both would be the victim were that ploy used.

And......."cat-people" also know the value of carefully used (pet) laser light pointers.......they're purrrrrrrfect !
Old October 14th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I did this with a cat and only had to use the bottler a couple of times , once my cat saw the bottle he stopped trying to jump on the stove. I was told to do this by people who had cats all their life. It dos not harm the cat getting burnt on a hot stove does. My cat got over it and did not need to see a shrink .