Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:41 PM

10 week Ridgeback - crate training - help

Hi,

I have a 10 week old ridgie. The first part of this question is some background and I would love some advice going forward.

Background:

I have 2 crates, one a 4' wire crate in my bedroom (referenced below) and a small plastic "toy dog" crate big enough for him that I use in my car.

I tried crating him on the first day. I couldn't "wean" him onto it. He would go into his crate initially but I couldn't get him to stay in the crate with the door closed.

I admit I may have been a bit impatient, possibly because I have 7 days before I'm back to work and I he looked like he would be able to make the next step - closing the crate door and leaving him.

I tried closing the door and leaving him for 5 min. I left the room and went back in a few min later and sat quietly by the crate. He wouldn't stop howling, so I said "NO" and a couple times louder. He was getting so shaky and visibly distraught that I pulled him out.. a big no-no for crate training and I know this set me back a bit.

Day 2-3-4 he slept in my bed, with hourly crating sessions (one on day 2, two on day 3, 3 on day 4).

Today is day 6. The last two nights he slept in his crate. Last 2 days his crating has been better - he's had 2 crating sessions each day. Each day some good workouts from doggie play dates or long walks.

Plan
I will move him soon to his long term spot, a 4x8 pen. I have crated him once in the small crate which I keep in my living room. The problem is the big crate I can't move without completely collapsing it. I've been crating him in the bedroom with the door closed, in isolation which probably hasn't been the best.

The Pen is in a 2nd bedroom, and I may start trying to get him to sleep in there, but he's barely used to sleeping in my bedroom so I may keep put in my bedroom.

I'm having difficulty with giving him love and crating him. Friends that have done crating just say the best thing to do when crating is to leave the house - go into the back yard..which is what I've been doing, so I don't have to endure the heartache of the crying.

I love the little guy so much, but want to do what is best for him in the long run. Sometimes he runs my patience very very thin.

I don't know how it's possible to gain respect and love from a puppy and crate train him at the same time. The first couple nights I felt physically ill, half because of lack of sleep and half because of his crying at night.

I want to know the answers to things that I would have if I were to do this a second time around. Most of the literature I've read isn't well written or thorough enough.. what I have read:

Ian Dunbar's puppy book
as much as I can find on google.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=77892
http://kalaharirr.tripod.com/crate.html

and more. Some of it I didn't learn from day 1.

Please help if you have any constructive criticism or advice.

Thank you